Hi fellow fossickers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi KK and welcome to the forum. Looks like we are getting a few like minded people in the SEQ area on the forum.
Look forward to hearing about your success.

Thanks Dogmatic,
I used to pan for gold years ago but never did any good, too anxious to see the bottom of the pan I think, and only ever found a few specks.

However I have met some top people in the past months and thanks to them and You Tube. I have refined my panning technique and am finding more than ever before.
Almost my first gram from panning ever after 3 outings. :)

I understand that they are going to open up a new official fossicking area here in Tennant Creek that will be primarily for panning. So for all you panning fans i will keep my ear to the ground for you

I know a bloke who was fortunate enough to discover gold in a virgin spot around Tennant Creek before the big miners took over. His eye lit up and a smile crept across his face, with a shallow giggle he said," mate, the sound of gold nuggets in ya pan, four onces to the dish we were gettin".
That would have been over 23 years ago when he told me and he was in his 60's then.

Tennant Creeks a long way from here, I wonder if there are any small pockets left, say 1/4 ounce to the dish!??. ;)

Gday Ken, I reckon there would still be a lot here, myself and my mate Dale have been going out with our detectors , i have a 4000 , Dale has a 5000 and we have only came back one evening with nothing, biggest was a piece 5.7g that i walked over after turning off my detector and Dale came along 5 mins later and still had his on and got the signal. We have only got out a couple of times every couple of weeks and it has been in an area that has been well worked in the last 40 years but over 50 little pieces between us through dec and jan. So its still there mate. Now i have got my 4000 sussed out and running really quiet we are going to try a few areas that havent been touched in years and i reckon we will find that virgin patch we dream about ;)

I have a mate from Victoria who competition pans (and wins most of them) who also detects who is coming up for a month in May so i will keep you informed on how he does when he is panning

Gudday Ken,
Good to see you have come aboard, now get ready for a trip soon.
Will catch up.
Cheers
Brad.....

Thanks Brad, whenever you are ready.
Hoping to do a Friday and Saturday soon.

Thanks Mystyk59 for the Tennamt Creek update, glad someone is having success with those expensive detectors. I have an old SD2100 does anybody know if it is worth the expence having modified?
Do you guys GPS your finds so you can panned the gravel at a later date if warranted?

Gday Ken,
You are welcome mate, I picked my 4000 up for $3,000 through a mate of mine and its the best thing i ever done, had a sd2000 before that and only got 1 piece in almost a year !. They come up on ebay for just over 3 so my personal opinion would be to sell the 2100 and put what you would spend on mods to it and upgrade to the best you can afford. We dont do any panning so we dont gps for that, but we do to log in our finds and look for a pattern to see if the gold is running a particular way or rather thats what we are starting to do
regards Bill :cool:

Thanks Bill,
Good point and advise, I didn't even think of that.

I see some guys get onto substantial patches and once the have worked them out then walk away.
Always keep them in mind, if you can put up with some red tape and if you get a little more financial, it may be worth taking out a lease and if you don't end up working it you have an asset you can sell.
Have you seen what they are selling Gold mining leases for these days?

Just my 2 cents worth, don't like seing people walk away from a potential bonanza. ;)
from Keen Ken

G'day Keen Ken,

Just wondering if you have been getting out much around SEQ? I have family in Ipswich and Caboolture, I am on the Gold Coast myself, want to plan a trip out to Warwick and a friend is going to try gain entry to a property up in Gympie for us to have a swing, yet to find some gold, will take some buckets and my pans too of course.

Cheers

HH

Latest posts