Hema Explorer Pro or Hema 4WD Maps?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I've read quite a few posts mentioning Hema but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Hema 4WD App?

Does it include the detail covered in Hema Explorer 'In-App Purchases' - eg the Cape York supplement?

Is it as good a resource for prospecting as Hema Explorer with the Pro add on?

Brian

The comparison is on their web site.

https://www.hemamaps.com/navigate/hema-app-comparison

I don't use the app as I have the HN7. If it helps, I use the 4x4 side of the device when prospecting, but rarely use their maps.

Why, their topo maps are at a scale of 1:100,000, I use Vicmap which is 1:25,000 and gives much better detail, especially tracks.

Hema Explorer 4x4 is based on Oziexplorer, which is available as an App for Android (not IOS). I also have the full PC version of Oziexplorer which allows you to calibrate your own maps, the Andriod version does not. Having said this, I have downloaded prospecting areas (VIC) from Geovic as a PDF, then done a PRTSCR for a .JPG. Once I have a .JPG, I can then calibrate the image in the PC version to give .MAP file. As Ozi and Hema 4x4 use .OZF4 file format you then use a utility available from Ozi called IMG2OZF to convert it to this file format. Neither the PC version or Android App come with maps.

There are a number of apps for phone or tablet, GPS devices such as the Hema, Garmin Zanec etc out there. In my opinion they are only as good as the map detail if provided. That can depend on where you want to go in Australia as not all of the country has been mapped at large scale.

Be careful to avoid online content for mapping, if you don't have a signal in remote areas, it won't work.

Thank you condor22 for your detailed reply - you have some great Mapping/prospecting tools!

I have had a good look at the link you sent and it is not clear to me the difference between the maps they provide in each of the Apps and the cost of the 'In App Purchases' - so I have sent them a query.

You mention...
'...their topo maps are at a scale of 1:100,000, I use Vicmap which is 1:25,000 and gives much better detail, especially tracks.'

However, their sales info mentions that Hema Explorer Map (Australia-wide multi-scale topographic mapping) resolution for the standard App is 1:150k max scale. However, if you upgrade to Explorer Pro - resolution is 1:9k max scale.

Maybe their resolution is OK?

Will advise if Hema come back with clarification.

Cheers

Brian

You'll likely find that some parts of some maps may be at 1:9k, I doubt that the whole country would be, the file sizes would be astronomical. So I think it will be some points of interest areas only.

Auslig @ 1:250k which is a seemless map of the entire country is 702MB.
Tasmania @ 1:100k is almost 500MB
Adelaide @ 1:50k out to about an 1000km radius is 250MB.
Yorke Peninsula @ 1:25k is 250MB

So you can see that as the map scale increases the file size also increases and the area covered reduces.

Here's a guide as to what kind of detail and how many maps are needed to cover an area

1560220189_maps.jpg

The other thing of note is; street nav is 1:10k, but when I've been out prospecting, street nav only shows major tracks and roads etc. Many minor tracks are not shown and they do not show topographical detail.

The Hema Explorer Pro is 1:9k resolution & Australia wide but you need to download the maps for each state.
I currently have only maps for NSW & Vic downloaded (+ some standard area ones). The app is taking 6.56GB up on my phone. It could handle more but I haven't downloaded others as for now I don't need them.
Checked both NSW & Vic - the minor tracks etc. still show zoomed into 1:9k.
Hema Explorer Pro is good but there are others that are ok too.
For NSW check out Australia Topo Maps. It's pretty good too just without the extra zoom.

mbasko said:
The Hema Explorer Pro is 1:9k resolution & Australia wide but you need to download the maps for each state.
I currently have only maps for NSW & Vic downloaded (+ some standard area ones). The app is taking 6.56GB up on my phone. It could handle more but I haven't downloaded others as for now I don't need them.
For NSW check out Australia Topo Maps. It's pretty good too just without the extra zoom.

Does the 1:9k show any topo detail i.e. contour lines, water courses or forest boundary etc?

I have tried most, and memory maps [a moving map] win hands down for me.

1560249830_capture.jpg

Looks very similar to VICMAP (Generated from Oziexplorer and Ozi3D

1560267328_waanyarra.jpg

But does memory map generate 3D ? Just curious

1560267328_waanyarra3d.jpg

condor22 said:
mbasko said:

Does the 1:9k show any topo detail i.e. contour lines, water courses or forest boundary etc?
Yes it does

Latest posts