Help !!! Satellite Tv receiver malfunction

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pr2cv

Peter Routley
Reaction score
After receiving a fault code saying"LNB short check all connections "on the TV

I have replaced the LNB with a new one,same frequency & brand------checked continuity with the cabling . -----All seem OK however fault code is still there.

Any ideas would be helpfull

I was not sure where to post this,but if I have posted in the wrong spot I apologise

Thanks,
Pete

Newprospector said:
Have u tried turning it off at the power point for a minute to reset it

Yes -----Several times but no luck.

Thanks for you suggestion

Pete

There is always the factory soft reset mate but it will not help if the current drawn out of the front-end (to power the LNB) is excessive possible cause short in the cable, F con, or LNB itself.

Take the cable off the LNB and receiver. Put a multimeter, set to Ohms, probe on the centre wire and the other on the threaded nut, to see if there is a dead short. If not and it's a new LNB, the issue is most likely in the receiver.

Another test, is to find someone else with a simialar system, get them to setup ok, then power down and try your LNB and cable on their box, to prove it's worth. If OK, then try their LNB and cable on your box. Also try your smart card in their box.

Sat retailers will usually accomodate as well.

Something else to think about if you don't have any shorts, some LNBs receive signals from multiple bands, alternative polarisations, and possibly simultaneously.13 to 14 volts makes it receive vertical polarisation and 18 to19 volts make it receive horizontal polarisation. What do you measure on yours?

check this page http://www.satsig.net/lnb/explanation-description-lnb.htm

condor22 said:
Take the cable off the LNB and receiver. Put a multimeter, set to Ohms, probe on the centre wire and the other on the threaded nut, to see if there is a dead short. If not and it's a new LNB, the issue is most likely in the receiver.

Another test, is to find someone else with a simialar system, get them to setup ok, then power down and try your LNB and cable on their box, to prove it's worth. If OK, then try their LNB and cable on your box. Also try your smart card in their box.

Sat retailers will usually accomodate as well.
As above. Check all your cabling for shorts and open circuit. If you swapped the LNB for a new one and cabling is ok then it can only be the set top box.
Also check your LNB settings in your setup to make sure the LO frequency is same as on the LNB.

I have as far as I can checked all that everyone suggests & have decided to take the whole thing ,dish,cables, receiver & remote to the technician who re soldered the antenna plug back to the circuit board & charged me $100
The antenna socket in the back of the receiver was loose because the backing nut became loose.
A bad design I believe as the antenna cable screws onto this socket which causes it to loosen.
Not any more however.----it's now locktighted on
Electronics------white mans magic!
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Pete

Latest posts