Hello all!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pr2cv

Peter Routley
Reaction score
Just a quick v to introduce myself,

I must have gold in my genes. As my Gt Grandfather was a miner at Majors Creek NSW.

He is buried in Majors Creek Cemetery along with family members on my grandmothers side.

He also had apple orchards. Obviously he didn't. Make a fortune from gold.

in the past I remember a set of gold scales that were his,but have no idea what happened to them.

He died in Feb 1905 ( on the exact day 42 years before my birth.

I have just started in earnest to do more gold searching after having found a few sapphires .

I was fortunate to borrow a detector from a neighbour recently ,which I used at Nundle,Hanging Rock,Hill End.&

Along the Turon River on the Bridle Track, lots of ferrous metal inc old cans ,ring pulls ,an old rusty bag needle,a horseshoe & other assorted bits of cast iron,BUT NO yGOLD!,l
Still I enjoyed the tranquility and beauty of our Australian bush. L

IT would. be. great to find some colour somewhere some time but to be in the bush is just as rewarding.

Looking forward to interaction on this forum

Thanks Pr2cv (Pete )

Hey Pete! I joined yesterday, and the other members here extremely helpful. im in Nundle right now and am having a blast.This is a great site. Enjoy.

Welcome to the forum Pete, some great family history you have there, thanks for sharing it with us.

I hope forum serves as a helpful resource in your prospecting journey.

Cheers,
Nugget

Hey pete im a new guy on here to, only just got into gold fossicking im just around the corner at wangi . Great part of the world here
Ive already lernt heeps on this site everyone is supper helpfull. Might be making a day trip to nundle in the next few weeks if ya keen you might be able to teach me a thing or two

Dirt Treasure

Enjoy Nundle, hope its not too cold. It was Ok 3 weeks ago.

I had a scratch in the river from the Caravan Park,for bugger all, apart from an
old bag needle.
Up at hanging rock on the road into the lookout there is an area on the RHS 50 meters from the turn in that you may me interested in.There are some old workings down the hill that a bar man at the Peel Inn said was a good spot as some kid had found a small nugget recently .
If you speak to the Information people in the Caravan Park they have a fossicking map of the area.Suggest you try Sapphire valley up in the pine plantation. There was no running wate there 3 weeks ago.
Also WiFi is available outside the library after hours .----Free & very handy

Hope you can find some colour

pr2cv (Pete)

Sweet! Thanks Pete! Yeah. spent about an hour with Colin at the info centre going over old newspaper clippings. Man it's nice out here. Going up to the workings tomorrow.

As for those bag needles, I think that's what I keep finding? There sure is a lot of them. Having a great time though and it is exciting to find something. I'm actually after a gold sovereign, for my coin collection. Fingers crossed.

Scottalt,

We are practically neighbours !

Nundle is certainly a nice town but the only gold mines are the Peel Inn Hotel who's prices are gold plated &

The caravan park which seems to be always busy.

Give the trout farm restaurant a miss but the smoked trout they supply to the general store is sublime assuming you like smoked fish

When the weather warms up a bit I'm off to Hill End again & down to Tuena & Crookwell area.

Cheers Pete

Welcome Pete, Unfortunately the downside of the detecting apprenticeship is cleaning out gullies of rusty relics, nails, cans, wire and as you know the list goes on. The upside is you now probably know how to ground balance, pinpoint targets, dig neat holes, fill said holes, swing low and slow, swear without making a noise.

This gained experience will soon lead you to swing that coil over a piece of that elusive yellow. The forum threads will also give you additional insight and advice for those days you can't get onto the streams. Best of luck and look forward to seeing that first nugget.

Cheers Wal,

Thanks Wal,

Unfortunately the detector was not mine,but I certainly enjoyed using it .I will try &. Get one down the track

However what to buy. There are so many of all different prices!!

Being retired & a pensioner there are not too many pennies left.

I will however make one of you high bankers as it appears to me that they are the bees knees

Pete.

Nugget,,

Thanks for your kind words of welcome.

Much appreciated

Pete

You won't need to spend a lot of money Pete. Plenty of good priced detectors on the market these days. A quick browse through the forum threads will give you a great cross section of their different uses. Best of luck with the banker and hope it finds you heaps of gold.

cheers wal,

Latest posts