Heading up to sydney - eastern suburbs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am heading up to sydney later this week, going to be staying at least a week but perhaps up to two weeks.

I will be staying in bondi , And hope to go detecting around the area while I am there. Bondi itself seems to be heavily hit so was gonna look abroad so to speak. :). I am mostly interested in relics from colonial times. Figured I would try to hit the rocks area. I haven't done any research yet but plan to over the next three days. Would love to find my first pre decimal! :)

I also have access to a boat, so if any of you are willing to divulge some info on remote locations accessible by boat in the sydney harbour region that would be absolutely freaking awesome. :)

To be honest any beach in Sydney would be worth a go, they have been packed lately. Relics not sure, most of Sydney has been concreted over.

While I wouldn't mind finding some jewellery my interest is in relics so figured the beaches arnt the places to hit for that (unless I find some washed up treasure lol). Besides my detector isn't good in wet sand. :(

Not sure what your travel abilities are but
  • if you're willing to head to the north - try the Convict Trail http://greatnorthroad.com.au/[/*]
  • if you do have a boat I'd be hitting Middle Head or the Hawkesbury estuary.[/*]
  • The early settlement tended to head directly west along the Parramatta River so any parkland / foreshore area there[/*]

Not based on experiences - just a gut feel and some of the places I'll be trying one day when I have time

Unfortunately these are all mostly National Parks, a quick search on Google maps will show most of them and their boundaries. Would hate to see someone get caught by a ranger. Probably a few pockets of the convict trail could be done.

Yes there is a lot of National Park in those areas but you can probably pick out some spots that aren't. The other option is to look for demolition sites etc around the Eastern Suburbs / Inner City - put on a fluoro vest and hard hat and noone will hassle you ;)

Tillek said:
NPWS has a map you tweak to show History - gives you an indication of what areas might be of interest and clearly identifies the nogo zone of national parks - one of the parks on middle head is fair game by the look of it!
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/link?D3E64

Yeah but detectorists will be fair game for the Rangers too if they don't like what you are doing. Anyway all good if just going for surface stuff but I would not be digging holes in parks and ovals around here. The pinpointer and screw driver technique is best after finding a target.

The beaches probably hold millions in cash and jewellery, can easilly earn $25 an hour in the right spots and no one gets upset.

Send me a PM if you like Sarn and I can give you some likely spots on the beaches, my best haul is about a dollar per metre covered. :)

Based in their history I am thinking the beach at camp cove, neilson park and gap park might be good spots to hit (pretty sure those spots arnt part of the sydney harbour national park - but unfortunately the national park map site crashes my iPad so don't know for certain at this stage).

I will only be able to mostly detect at night as I have a ton of family activities scheduled during daylight. Although I might be able to go out on my brothers boat as some point for a day/night without the kidlets.

It's a pity you can't detect in centennial park, I recon there would be a treasure trove of pre decimal coins there, but they have very strict regulations - can't even remove rocks from the park lol. *sigh* such a shame there are so many regulations and restricted areas that detectorists can't go.

Latest posts