Hargraves / Windeyer area NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the type of title the park has on the land, they may very well own that part of the creek, or the land the van park is on may be the only access point. I wouldn't push the point though and rock the boat too hard. Maybe stay there a few days and get to know them and you may find you're welcome anytime.

You really don't want to upset the locals if you plan on doing a bit of fossicking in a certain area, if you get to know them info will come sooner or later. Like my Koori mate in Inverell refused to help me with gem spots when we first started chatting, after 5 trips up there and numerous beers each time in the pub he offered me a few spots to dig even after I said I didn't want his spots. :)

Just my 2c and my opinion.

I was under the impression that no one, under any circumstances, can own a creek or a section of a creek even if it's on/runs through their land. I thought ALL rivers and creeks were crown land. Hence why I've seen posts talking about how it's a nice thing to do to go and ask the landowner if you can prospect in a creek on their land...a nice thing to do as you could just walk upstream/downstream in the river and never trespass or be in anyone's private property. But apparently I misinterpreted it... im confused now.

She was probably more than likely alluding to the easy access to the creek through the caravan park. You could go down Williams Lane next to the pub & walk down but why the hassles or the walk lugging your gear in? Just down the road opposite Clarkes Creek Rd is the public fossicking area on Long Creek. It would be just as done over as behind the caravan park but more space & no hassles. There are also other accessible areas out there with more creek area than there. The bridge coming into Windeyer - turn on the right & go in next to the cemetery or go down Campbell Creek Rd then Queens Pinch Rd to the Queens Pinch bridge. Plenty of area there.
Sometimes its better to just find somewhere else especially in small places.

I realise the area has been done over and didnt want to go there anyway ,, it was just her attitude towards the her guests were only allowed there .. I know by law that I could have gone there ,,, as long as I stay on the creek bed , up to and including the high water mark . I know this as I am a fisherman and know my rights when it comes to the rivers and creeks .
We went to a few spots and it was very well worked .
Thanks for the tip about the Queens Pinch Bridge mbasko ;)

Jeff I'm not hassleing at all as I believe a lot of the time we do have rights that are not respected but knowing your rights and staying on the right side of property owners can be 2 totally different things in small towns, I always just err on the side of caution and not upsetting people. As Matt said sometimes better or easier to just find another spot, seems there are plenty of spots and access points there from the info he just gave. I don't know the atrea but will soon hopefully.

JeffP,

You can walk away knowing you are right but.................

I go out there regularly and stay at that park. There is plenty of access to the same creek as mbasko has pointed out. The park has direct access to long creek for about a 200 metre section but there is gold in just about every creek, river, stream and even puddles in that region.

I stay there but never go down to that section of long creek to get some gold.

Its better to walk away knowing your right rather than rubbing to owner up the wrong way and paving a difficult road for every other prospector that follows (not that you did that) Windeyer and other small towns are very sensitive to out of towners.

Cheers

RS

Matey I think your looking at the comment at a different angle. They are business based eg. The only people who prospect in this area are paying campers.

Heatho said:
Depends on the type of title the park has on the land, they may very well own that part of the creek, or the land the van park is on may be the only access point. I wouldn't push the point though and rock the boat too hard. Maybe stay there a few days and get to know them and you may find you're welcome anytime.

You really don't want to upset the locals if you plan on doing a bit of fossicking in a certain area, if you get to know them info will come sooner or later. Like my Koori mate in Inverell refused to help me with gem spots when we first started chatting, after 5 trips up there and numerous beers each time in the pub he offered me a few spots to dig even after I said I didn't want his spots. :)

Just my 2c and my opinion.

It does depend on the titles
if its a 100 or 99 yr lease they my own the water
there are several rivers and creeks I know of in Victoria that own parts of the water ways
some own the water to halfway, others own it where it runs through there property

I'm not trying to make an argument
just letting you know this could be a fact
BTW you are most likely right

I would say that a tour group is about to come through and the section you have been warned about is salted.
In other words a heap of tourists are being bussed in and they will find gold in their pans.
Some one has gone out and spread a bit of gold dust around giving that nice feeling that the tourist's that have paid motsa will have the feeling that they have a bit of gold to take home.
It would piss a few people off to run a high Banker in there and recover all that hard earn t work that has been done. PMSL.

Oldfella said:
We have to be careful, especially about creeks as not all creeks are crown land and many small creeks are actually owned by the landholder. I believe the ArcGIS http://nswtitles.minerals.nsw.gov.au/nswtitles/ has the option of showing what is crown land.

Cheers
Yeah I agree. I know from looking on ArcGIS over my local area that most rivers & major creeks appear to have the crown land shading. There are though a lot of minor creeks that do not. I would hesitate to just assume all waterways are ok to walk up & you have a right to be there.
From memory though Long Creek is shaded as crown land but is mostly surrounded by private land so ease of access is always going to be the issue as it is with most waterways.
The long & short of the story is there's a public fossicking area just down the road & other crown land access points. No hassles, no upsetting locals. Theres enough "No Fossicking" signs & closed gates around the area now.

JeffP said:
Went to Windeyer the other day . Spoke to the lady at the Van Park about spots to go etc . Anyway ,,, she says to me , "the area behind the Park is Reserved for our guests "
WTF ?
I thought I could access all the river ! As a matter of fact , I am sure I can .
So where does she get off saying rubbish like that ?

Hey Jeff, no issue accessing and im sure they are just trying to protect their investment. They have a no highbanking rule which is is obviously a house rule to ensure pumps aren't running and ruining Campers experience. Easiest to leave that spot alone there is plenty of other spots even better as suggested. Top little caravan park have stayed there a few times and I wouldn't bother with that spot for gold, once u get to know the area you will find it a treat, and in fact its one of my fave spots and may be there next weekend. 1gram + a day areas so do listen to Mbasko, he put us onto some good locations there. I wont be giving any locations away cause our honey hole was absolutely smashed last time, had to spend another trip finding a new one. Needless to say the gold is there but takes a few days recon to find a spot that produces. The area next to the CP appears to be hammered, yet was some of the easiest gold ive found to date so def do not discount it....

I know this creek/river ownership thing'y has been coverd before, but for some newbies, the Crown does NOT own ALL the land around creeks and some rivers, I'm sure they like to think they do, but they DONT, check the areas before you go waltzing down with your banker or pan strapped to your back, it's no different then fence jumping with a detector.
For example, one particular 'douchebag' fence jumped a fence beside a creek that was on private property to do some panning, this particular 'douchebag' just happen to tear his nut sack through his footy shorts, long story short, The poor old property owner couldn't afford insurance, you can guess where this led.
Since that day (some years ago) any type of prospecting has been banned on his place and a couple of surrounding neighbours have followed suit, being that the family has held the title from day dot, it is their land that the goverment runs their (supposed) owned water through.
Do your research on titles, try the door knock with a smile, you might be pleasantly surprised, jump a fence, and you not only risk your nut sack, but you stuff it up for the rest of us and future generations.

I did walk away , didnt cause a fuss as I knew the Parks bit of Creek would be pretty well screwed . Tried a few place and got one or two specks , but nothing worth continuing . Went home to Gulgong and found way more gold there panning a local creek :D Gold in every pan and some was actually chunky , although still tiny . :)

The creek behind has been destroyed over the years wouldn't bother with it anyways.
plenty of spots elsewhere in that area.

Latest posts