Hargraves / Windeyer area NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi people

Does anyone have any spots to avoid / spots to look around Hargraves / Windeyer ?

may be passing near there so hoping to make some time for either detecting or some juicy sluicy work

thanks for any suggestions

Avoid private property unless you have permission but anywhere you can access near old diggings is worth a shot. I have detected small bits in both areas at easily accessible spots. The caravan park owner at Windeyer should help you out with spots to try & I have heard the shop at Hargraves are helpful too. Sorry I haven't been real specific but there are a multitude of spots which are all pretty much trial & error, like most areas I guess. I haven't found any one great spot but have done ok both detecting or in the creeks out there at the publicly accessible areas - my thoughts are private property would return much better results if you got onto the right spot but would take some time to line up.
Sluicing can be hard around both areas as water flow is very dependant on good rain which has been lacking but if the waters flowing some of the better crevices can be hard to clean out too so it's not ideal either way. I usually just do some panning where I can get water & have only had enough flow once for a sluice. You could highbank in most spots or set up a pump to feed your sluice? I reckon there's still good gold around both areas but there's a lot of ground to cover & too many working days per week :lol:
Let me know when you are about. If my roster etc. suits I might be able to meet up somewhere. I will be heading to Sofala Friday 18th to meet up with Levytag if you are interested.

Thanks

I guess to be a good prospector you have to put the time in to each spot and keep at it until you understand thoroughly what's there . Some people tend to rush from place to place before they have even scratched the surface

If there isn't enough water to sluice or pan then a person has to find another way , which might require either waiting for nature or working around nature

Will play it by ear when I get a bit of time up there and see what the land is holding for me :)

Just arrived in Dungong after going all the way up hill end rd from Sofala. Hey Wal, I looked for that spot you told me about and found mullock heaps behind the tip but no river bed and plenty of rubbish. Anyway I will be going back to Kandos later today.

Turn right just before the rubbish tip (small track), and you'll see Louisa Creek, (dry bedrock creek about 2m wide). That's your starting point and from there head downstream avoiding about the first kilometer.

Good luck mate,

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
Turn right just before the rubbish tip (small track), and you'll see Louisa Creek, (dry bedrock creek about 2m wide). That's your starting point and from there head downstream avoiding about the first kilometer.

Good luck mate,

Cheers Wal.
Is that while travelling from Hill End Wal? Or from Mudgie?

From Hill End mate.....Louisa Creek runs strait through town, and it's the downstream sections from the town you want to concentrate on.....lot of the big stuffs' gone but plenty of pickers still there for the taking. Need to scrape the coil on the ground around here as the signals are quiet.

Good luck and hope you christen the ATX.

Cheers Wal.

Watch out for the browns out there John, we saw a few last trip. Ill be headed that way in 2 weeks to the secret spot.

Secret...did i hear Secret.....you're not talking about spot 405.B,.... 25m south of the rabbit hole near the blackberry bush are you... :eek: .....already cleaned that one out. :D :D :D

Cheers Wal

Wal there was more gold in each test pan than half a days highbanking at Nundle. To add that was the first spot we tested so back for more recon. If that proves interesting will let you know. Need to bring the whipper snipper this time as I believe the real gold is higher up, gonna follow the exposed sandwich quartz line and see what we get.

Some great gold in that region for the more adventurous, that's for sure. We're a bit spoilt down this neck of the woods, and Nundle, though a great place, will always play second fiddle when it comes to serious gold.

Best of luck out there mate and be keen to compare notes. Send me a PM on how you go. ;)

Cheers Wal.

Gday all, I am finally home after 2 weeks on the road.
I left Nundle and headed for Gunnedah for 5 days, driving back to Tamworth during that time to finally pickup my Deepseeker package, then from Gunnedah went to Kandos to catch up with my brother.
My brother, his wife and I then travelled the Hill End road via Sofala and looped back from Mudgie to Kandos and then yesterday My brother and I did the same loop again.
We stopped at a nice shady spot on the right hand side just north of Sofala on the Turon river.
There were two Swiss guys there running a small sluice. They were working the spot for two days and had some nice yellow to show for it. In two days they had only washed about one cubic metre.
I left details of the forum with them and hopefully they will join up.
On the opposite side of the road there are diggings that we checked out with the detectors but found only .22 lead and casings.
Anyway if anyone is interested, here are the co-ordinates of the camping spot on the Turon. 3304.550'S, 14940.289'E

Wal, I went back to Hargraves to check out the creek but could not see an easy way to get to it on the right side going north but I talked to the lady running the cafe at Hill End and she confirmed there were existing leases in the Hargraves area now and they are planning for an open cut mine. We will go to Hargraves again sometime.

Sounds like at one point you may have been near the honey pot, but you would have driven right past it without knowing! Welcome back

Twapster said:
Sounds like at one point you may have been near the honey pot, but you would have driven right past it without knowing! Welcome back
Looks like I might have to look at building or buying a high banker
There is some good shade there so not such a hot job.

There is a new mine at Hill End too ( Hill End Gold Pty Ltd ) , i heard a rumour from a local that they have 200 trained wombats digging down in the tunnels under Hawkins Hill.

could be true ?

you never know with those locals

at least a HB will give you recovery on days when the gold is too fine for the ATX John :)

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had any luck in Windeyer going this weekend any tips. Cheers Norm

there is a group there until monday arv or so

windeyer bushland tourist park is where most are staying if they dont decide to come home early

if passing through maybe call in and ask around a few of the heads there in the evening

ps , did you mean this weekend as in today or weekend coming up ?

Thanks for that, we are heading to HillEnd instead sounds like it will be a bit crowded at Windeyer heading out there on saturday 16th, any tips for detecting gold in HillEnd?

Latest posts