Happy Australia Day

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy australia day everyone

You may be right makka, history was not one of my best subjects at school but somewhere in that brain of mine, that has a lot of slow brain cells killed off by the odd beer over many years, i think the first australia day was in january 2015 (can't remember the day) to raise funds for the war effort ,yet i may be wrong as i have been wrong before

sand surfer said:

You may be right makka, history was not one of my best subjects at school but somewhere in that brain of mine, that has a lot of slow brain cells killed off by the odd beer over many years, i think the first australia day was in january 2015 (can't remember the day) to raise funds for the war effort ,yet i may be wrong as i have been wrong before

1915 ;) :beer:

Happy Australia Day one and all :beer: chuck a chop on the barby :Y: :goldnugget: :sunny:

RM Outback said:
sand surfer said:

1915 ;) :beer:

Happy Australia Day one and all :beer: chuck a chop on the barby :Y: :goldnugget: :sunny:

"The meaning and significance of Australia Day has evolved and been contested over time, and not all states have celebrated the same date as their date of historical significance.[2] Unofficially, or historically, the date has also been variously named Anniversary Day, Foundation Day and ANA Day.[3] The date of 26 January 1788 marked the proclamation of British sovereignty over the eastern seaboard of Australia (then known as New Holland).[4] Although it was not known as Australia Day until over a century later, records of celebrations on 26 January date back to 1808, with the first official celebration of the formation of New South Wales held in 1818. On New Year's Day 1901, the British colonies of Australia formed a federation, marking the birth of modern Australia. A national day of unity and celebration was looked for. It was not until 1935 that all Australian states and territories adopted use of the term "Australia Day" to mark the date, and not until 1994 that the date was consistently marked by a public holiday on that day by all states and territories". So much of SA, NT and all of WA were excluded.

But I am all for having an Australia Day and our being unified in celebrating it - exactly when I leave to majority vote.

Happy Australia Day to one and all.

Great day, public holiday so you can spend time with family and friends, Australian/s of the year get announced, new citizens are granted in, public gatherings, and you can do a bit of flag waving if thats your thing.

Maybe Im missing the point when the political football gets kicked around, then again Im of the view this nation was granted the best system in the world without exception. Sure its not perfect, and theres probably some atonement required in acknowledging the past while celebrating, personally I look to the day with what brings us all together, not what divides us.

I will be enjoying the finer things that Mrs GT & I picked up at the Queen Victoria market, in celebration of the success of Multicultural Australia with several of the neighbours and their friends in a street gathering, organised by the lovely lady next door after the difficult times of 2020.

Hope you all enjoy it your day as much as we will :Y:

The Tester said:
Upside said:
^^never had lamb ribs before. Much meat on them?

Ha ha, they are finger lickin' good anyway, but I'm sure a salad or two will help with that meat.

I think you should wash those lettuce leaves a bit better if they are adding to the meat :lol:

Im a very proud Aussie like my dad was. He passed away on this day last year. Its a bit of a sad day but the whole family is grateful for the day he chose to leave, perfect timing. Sadly missed but eternally blessed to be one of his kids.
1611634136_36ac88cc-4b98-452d-b21d-68d727e14ba6.jpg

Mackka said:
Love ya comment mate, but it should not be about Lamb on the BarB. I really dont know what Australia Day is ? Maybe someone can enlighten me. I believe the date has changed a number of times, correct me if I am wrong. Were there protests on the previous dates? Will change of date annul the atrocities of 2 centuries of abuse, disconnection and isolation from family fix these issues, no. So, dont fret this day as all is right with the world.
Mackka

Macka...your question is a great one and timely...what is Australia Day?.

So many people including politicians, members of the media, teachers and social commentators think that 26 January is a celebration of Cook's landing or arrival of the First Fleet.

Neither Cook nor the first fleet landed on that date. It is not the date of any invasion.

26 January 1949 was when an
Act of Parliament (the Citizenship and Nationality Act) was enacted that made all citizens to be officially 'Australian Citizens' and able to use an Australian Passport. People living here after that date were no longer British subjects and this included all indigenous Australians.

26 January is also the date every year where new members of our community can receive their citizenship. It might be better called 'citizenship Day' but most of us call it Australia Day.

Sadly we have generations that don't know history or don't care.

On the upside I agree wholeheartedly with most posting here that Australia is a remarkable country and nation.

MikeB05 said:
Mackka said:
Love ya comment mate, but it should not be about Lamb on the BarB. I really dont know what Australia Day is ? Maybe someone can enlighten me. I believe the date has changed a number of times, correct me if I am wrong. Were there protests on the previous dates? Will change of date annul the atrocities of 2 centuries of abuse, disconnection and isolation from family fix these issues, no. So, dont fret this day as all is right with the world.
Mackka

Macka...your question is a great one and timely...what is Australia Day?.

So many people including politicians, members of the media, teachers and social commentators think that 26 January is a celebration of Cook's landing or arrival of the First Fleet.

Neither Cook nor the first fleet landed on that date. It is not the date of any invasion.

26 January 1949 was when an
Act of Parliament (the Citizenship and Nationality Act) was enacted that made all citizens to be officially 'Australian Citizens' and able to use an Australian Passport. People living here after that date were no longer British subjects and this included all indigenous Australians.

26 January is also the date every year where new members of our community can receive their citizenship. It might be better called 'citizenship Day' but most of us call it Australia Day.

Sadly we have generations that don't know history or don't care.

On the upside I agree wholeheartedly with most posting here that Australia is a remarkable country and nation.

The first ship of the fleet reached Botany Bay on 18th January, and a French explorer sailed into the bay 6 days later. The site was unsuitable and on 26 January 1788, the Fleet reached Port Jackson. The site selected for the anchorage had deep water close to the shore, was sheltered, and had a small stream flowing into it. Phillip named it Sydney Cove, after Lord Sydney the British Home Secretary. They went ashore and started clearing land for a camp. In the afternoon-evening, they erected a flag pole, raised the Union Jack, and the officers ashore made toasts to the Royal Family and the success of the colony. This date is now celebrated as Australia Day, marking the beginning of British settlement. It was simply a date unofficially chosen at the time of Phillip fulfilling his brief of starting the first British settlement. Nothing to do with Cook, nothing to do with the fleet first anchoring in Australian waters, nothing to do with the official declaration of the colony. Only on 8th February was the Colony of NSW officially declared, and that excluded the western half of Australia still. Any number of dates could have been appropriately or inappropriately chosen. As could also be said of any dates chosen for an "invasion day".

I agree that changing the Australia Day date is stupid. There will always be lifelong victim protesters that will challenge any new date and every reconciliation issue.
Pick one. Someone will determine a new date was when the gold-rush started, and tracks were built across their sacred country. The possibilities are endless. We give up on this and Australia will become more divided!
January 26th is NOT invasion day, but a date where we can ALL agree to be Australian.

HippyProspecting said:
Happy Australia day everyone
Hope you all fire up the BBQ and had a drink or two.
Me, I did something very un-aussie and went to work

Same here :Y: now I've had a few beers (2) and about to enjoy a barby then hit the kippa and do it all again tomorrow :beer:

aussiefarmer said:
Everyone one I know celebrates Australia day because they love living here , nothing to do with white settlement or history, we are celebrating the present.

Australia is the best dam country there is and that deserves a BBQ and beer once a year with friends family and locals that feel the same.

Happy Australia day everyone that's fair dinkum and for those that complicate a great day off work , you need to find your inner Aussie and spark that little guy back into loving life.
OZZIE OZZIE OZZIE
:Y: :Y:

Latest posts