Hand Tools

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What hand tools (spanners, hammers, screwdrivers, etc) do people prefer ? I try to buy good brands. My son goes to great trouble to buy Australian made Sidchrome.

Hi Danny,
My hand tools are pretty much a mixed bag of different brands.
Most were on the cheaper end of the scale regarding purchase price too.

Sidchrome got bought out by an overseas tool company about 25 years ago (sorry I can't remember by whom it was)
I'm pretty certain they moved all Sidchrome tool production to Asia shortly after that.

Hi P_B, you are right Sidchrome is made overseas now just like alot of our good old Australian brands.
You can still find second hand Australian Sidchrome in good condition but is is getting harder to get.
I am starting to go towards some of the larger tool shops in house brands.

Cheers

Stanley have had some good deals in last couple of years. Siddies are still my go to preference, hard to beat them on price to longevity ratio, except the 1/4 drive ratchet been through three in three years, never do my tools see the weather so obv shite construction, the older stuff is better. Kingchrome stuff is OK but returns did my head in not long after they first came out, was an 8 week turnaround on one 10 mm socket that failed. The old expression comes into place though, you get what you pay for. Having a few cheapies is good news if you need to customize a shape or shorten one up, but if you pay the toll in full the first time around you will find it makes the best return in the long run. Watch for specials, collected a set of 18 Stanley spanners for $52 about a year ago, and the last siddies set I got was a 89 (?) For around the 160 Mark that was one of the last they produced with the uni knuckle drive Inc in 3/4 inch drive plus ring open spanner combo in metric and imp. That's seriously good value.
Tools from a tool shop can be haggle too, don't pay full retail. Cash is king.

Maybe I have/spend too much money but I have SP spanners and Repco sockets. I honestly can't knock Repco sockets as I've never had to replace one yet and I have found the Sp tools to be very good but not cheap.

Mackka said:
Hey Piston-Broke was it Kingchrome? (not sure of the spelling)
Mackka

Hi Mackka,
I asked my business partner about Sidchrome (then a part of Siddon"s Industries)
He said no ?.....believes it was Stanley or Black & Decker.

I mentioned that it might have been Illinois Tool Works ?
But he is adament thats who bought out RAMSET (another subsidiary of Siddon's Industries) ?

He firmly believes he is right / I am wrong about Illinois ?

Sorry I cant help further...it was quite a long time ago.
Cheers.

Piston_Broke said:
Hi Danny,
My hand tools are pretty much a mixed bag of different brands.
Most were on the cheaper end of the scale regarding purchase price too.

Sidchrome got bought out by an overseas tool company about 25 years ago (sorry I can't remember by whom it was)
I'm pretty certain they moved all Sidchrome tool production to Asia shortly after that.

Yes Sidchrome was bought out about 25 years ago. It was by memory a company that had them made in India, as there was two types of stamps on the spanners (Indian and Australian), I know this as there was a price difference for the two of which I stuck with the Australian spanner set and still have them.

I work in the lift industry, so a quality spanner set or socket set is a must. Of late the only brand with quality I can find is still Sidchrome.
Sidchrome learnt a long time ago about quality, some other brands just want the dollar for us.

If you are looking for a set of tools to throw into the car for the next trip, watch for the specials that pop up and judge for yourself.

Peter. :cool:

I buy most of my hand tools from swapmeets,good old west german brands like VBW, GEDORE,DOWIDAT ,usually pick up good spanners for around $1 ,e.g 17mm -18mm double ended ring spanners ,$5 for a good strong 1/2 breaker bar metal quality second to none,not the prettiest but stronger than the new stuff.

I restore old trucks for a hobby so most times i am dealing with very stubborn parts

Sidchrome is owned by Stanley and is made in Taiwan (China's higher quality cousin)

I buy what looks to be good quality. I have some SCA gear that I enjoy using. I use Repco gear with a lifetime replacement warranty. Our work trucks are fully decked out with Snap-On gear and that stuff is a whole other level of quality. Oh yeah Kinchrome still make the best screwdrivers!

Source:I'm a Boilermaker/Fitter

I have been buying Teng spanners and sockets and find they cope and last well and price is reasonable

Sidchrome is my fave, but the old style ratchets is what you want - the kind with the slide pin to change from left to right. Not the weaker toggle switch/lever.
Swap meets, garage sales etc. are the place to go for old school quality.

Recently I got a new Kinchrome set & the ratchet crapped itself, hand slipped & skun my knuckle. Got my money back, went for a Stanley Brand - similar problem - slipping ratchet.

Finally found an old school type Sidchrome set at TotalTools. 1/2, 3/8 & 1/4 drive. the only one that has the toggle type ratchet is the 1/4, but that's okay as you generally don't put much pressure on them anyhow.

speaking of ratchets, I've got a one with no name. To change from left to right or vice versa you push the 1/2 drive through one way then back for the other way. Haven't busted it yet, just bent the handle because I had a piece of pipe on it for extra leverage. :D
:) Mick

axeman said:
speaking of ratchets, I've got a one with no name. To change from left to right or vice versa you push the 1/2 drive through one way then back for the other way. Haven't busted it yet, just bent the handle because I had a piece of pipe on it for extra leverage. :D

Hi Mick, must be one tough ratchet mechanism to handle a piece of pipe on it, wish it had a brand.
Siddons made one on the same principle with a very course ratchet you had to reverse it 1/4 turn
for 1 click on the ratchet (no good it tight spots)

Cheers

DIGGER DANNY said:
axeman said:

Hi Mick, must be one tough ratchet mechanism to handle a piece of pipe on it, wish it had a brand.
Siddons made one on the same principle with a very course ratchet you had to reverse it 1/4 turn
for 1 click on the ratchet (no good it tight spots)

Cheers

west german brand VBW made a few styles of these ratchets,extremely strong

Latest posts