Had the ford all to myself today

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banksy

steven and debbie banks
Reaction score
Had the oallen ford all to myself today, had a few visitors though, tried some new spots(the rock bar sth of the crossing)mid stream. Heaps of small gold need to look at getting a river sluice. ;)

thanks wal, had a look at your clip and decided to give a go, need to look a bigger shovel as every time I tried to get a shovel full onto the sluice I would lose half :| I'm still learning how to read the water flow.

cheers steve

I had it to myself on wednesday aswell. At least I think I did anyway. I think most people arent as silly going in that sort of heat. (Unless there in the water at least)
Ended up just doing half a day at stuarts crossing but I was doing quiet crap so moved to the ford for the rest of the day.
Got about .4 of a gram for a few hours. Ok for my first time at the ford with a highbanker.
Well at least I think I went ok. The amount that some people get there make my efforts look like crap :8

Yep, I can relate to that :)
We should organise a dig together one day. Learn from each others mistakes ;)
You show me where not to did and I will show you where not to dig. With the process of elimination we will find the motherload ha ha

Greglz86 said:
I had it to myself on wednesday aswell. At least I think I did anyway. I think most people arent as silly going in that sort of heat. (Unless there in the water at least)
Ended up just doing half a day at stuarts crossing but I was doing quiet crap so moved to the ford for the rest of the day.
Got about .4 of a gram for a few hours. Ok for my first time at the ford with a highbanker.
Well at least I think I went ok. The amount that some people get there make my efforts look like crap :8

Hi There, I was also at the ford on Weds/Thurs and it was damn hot - finding a productive spot is certainly a challenge see my previous post in show n tell.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=50782#p50782

Best I have done on a previous trip is about 1 gram but having just taken up the hobby 6 months ago I am on a learning curve, I certainly have all the gear and still fine tuning it all.

3 heads may better than one - I am retired and plenty of time available.

Rgds
Barry

I will be back on the 1st or the 2nd of feb. If anyone is in the area dont be shy. If you see a silver triton I wont be far :)
Greg

is it worth having a go with the pan don't have high banker but getting keen for some shiny gold :)

Would love to join you guys out there -- all depends mainly on 2 things ...

#1) How occupied I may be with my 3 boys (which depends more on my ex than anything else)

#2) How I go at completing my sluice upgrade (based on inspiration from Wal's designs)

Oallen is one of my favourite spots -- I would camp there if there was no gold!

Cheers,
Dave E :cool:

richo966 said:
is it worth having a go with the pan don't have high banker but getting keen for some shiny gold :)

I always had fun finding some yellow stuff there with my shovel, scoop, bucket and pan -- before I even attempted to build my first sluice (first one failed miserably, btw). Just don't expect to find anything other than very fine gold specks and you'll be fine (yes, it is a bad pun).

In the early days, I found that digging straight down into the sand and rocks (on the down-river side of the flat concrete) yielded up to 20 specks per pan for me ... very very fine gold ... but as I always thought, it's like fishing -- catch anything and you're a winner! :)

As also mentioned previously -- I also LOVE that area -- so beautiful!

Cheers,
Dave E :cool:

I have next week off. I am planning a day at the Ford to test out the new high banker. Not sure what day yet though. Might see some of you there.

Jason.

Turns out I will be there for two nights starting tomorrow. Not 100% where yet though. Pending weather will allow it.

Greg

Greglz86 said:
Nothing wrong with .4 mate, what people say they get and what they actually get are 2 very different things. Keep it up Balx

Thanks mate. Over the next few days im going to try and beet my new benchmark for a gram a day. Any higher I might just be setting myself up for dissapointment.
Still early days and have alot to learn.
Greg

Greglz86 said:
Thanks mate. Over the next few days im going to try and beet my new benchmark for a gram a day. Any higher I might just be setting myself up for dissapointment.
Still early days and have alot to learn.
Greg
yeah I keep my goal at just getting gold, then i am always happy.

Latest posts