had a hunt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy all. blowing a gale and bucketing down, so I thought might get out for a hunt yesterday. mmmmm lovely. I did get $15.20 which was my best for months.
I find the compadre is very sensitive,more so in damp wet ground. I get good solid signals but no target, maybe mineralisation, or a tiny target magnified by the extra conductive soil. not sure if it may be falsing either. HH.

Where are those pickys slipped disk, we all probably been sitting on the sidelines here waiting with baited breath, even if it's what you spent it on(raincoat maybe) or a photo of the crappy weather and wet muddy ground(with a coin). Good to see you came home with the money, it's gunna be feeling a lot better in your pocket then in the cold damp ground, next time I'm out and get a score like yours I'm gunna try to buy a silver coin with it as investment instead of buying pies and coke. The falsy type signals that your talking about I call ghost signals as it's usually a halo effect from a target that's mostly or completely broken down and moved out into the surrounding soil, and once the soil is broken up the target is scattered around and can no longer give a coherent signal that can be recognised by the tech. That would happen for any machine there is or ever will be so don't throw the compadre in a rage(not that you would) just yet as it's probably fine.

Was it really soggy? I find if it's really wet my machine picks up the really heavy Clays, must create enough concentration in the mineralization to produce a signal, but silver is spot on. Also get better target response though so the genuine targets are pretty easily defined to set them apart. Sounds like a good hunt, Good to get the runs on the board with a new machine. Look forward to the updates.

Hi Guys, my post was over a month ago. :) just a distant, fading memory now, :p I don't usually worry about pics of dec finds,
just unusual finds,as such. my area is generally about 1860's and was a buy port and is a popular tourist destination now. I am guessing it has been done over fairly well over the years. the ground does seem to have a lot of mineralisation. in 7 months the best finds have been 1881 half penny, 1900 penny, 1911 half penny, 2x 1951 h/pennies, 1922 finnish 10 pennia, and finally a shilling,bob,deana, 1959. there are prob. four other detectorists that I know of,so a bit of competition. all the usual target sites ,schools,ovals,beach foreshore etc have produced very little. with the compadre, I have to concentrate on the louder signals I can hear,so mbe that slows me down a bit.
I need a wet sand tecta moreso for the beaches, and mbe a bobcat and a backhoe. :eek: :D

silver said:
Where are those pickys slipped disk, we all probably been sitting on the sidelines here waiting with baited breath, even if it's what you spent it on(raincoat maybe) or a photo of the crappy weather and wet muddy ground(with a coin). Good to see you came home with the money, it's gunna be feeling a lot better in your pocket then in the cold damp ground, next time I'm out and get a score like yours I'm gunna try to buy a silver coin with it as investment instead of buying pies and coke. The falsy type signals that your talking about I call ghost signals as it's usually a halo effect from a target that's mostly or completely broken down and moved out into the surrounding soil, and once the soil is broken up the target is scattered around and can no longer give a coherent signal that can be recognised by the tech. That would happen for any machine there is or ever will be so don't throw the compadre in a rage(not that you would) just yet as it's probably fine.

hey Silver. good idea re coins. I like the gothic pom coins. hard to find, but well priced on ebay etc. better than pies and coke eh :p less calories too.
I have good days were my intuition is firing and I have walked up to a good find right off the bat. [ scratches head ]. other days couldn't find squat. :eek:
I agree with the halo effect,sometimes I can see dark mineral staining in and around the target hole. I did find $3 yesterday that others had missed. :D
cold down the beach too at 7am was 2c. and blowing, found 50c. yeeeehaaaa.

Well I do like to have a gander at the unanswered topics on occasion and scroll through the older ones to see if everybody is awake, and sometimes it's just nice to bring an old topic to life to see where it leads for all concerned, especially if it is interesting or needs a bit more pressure to bring out a bit of good communication. As you can see you can sometimes get a lot of views on a topic without anyone actually commenting at all, and that is really another reason for people to actually join the forum so that they can interact and join in the conversations as I'm pretty sure that a lot of views come from people outside of the forum just looking in. I can assure everyone that is just viewing from the outside that it is very easy to sign up to the forum, and the actual interactions that you will have will be interesting and very worth your while. Sorry for high jacking your topic slipped disc and plugging the forum, but it just seemed like the right time and place to try it out and see if we get a few positive responses within the topic from people who might otherwise have not bothered to sign up, after all it is the shared information and interactions that make this forum soo good and the more people interacting the bigger and better it all gets and the more(so much so) we all get out of it individually. Believe me when I say that everyone has something to offer one way or another, so no matter where you are or what you do, bite the bullet and join in with a great bunch of people. I prefer this forum over Facebook(Mrs has that) that's for sure.

the duck said:
good on you i thought you would have got rid of it by now, are you using a pin pointer as well

Hi mr, duck. not worried if I sell it or not. just a hobby,excercise. no, not have a p/p. got it down fairly well now, using x method and edging coil around target, most times on top of it. just waiting for lottery to come in, can't be long now ! ? :D

Latest posts