Greetings from Adelaide

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

To give you a quick summary:

• EQUINOX 800
  • Interested in Gold detecting
  • Beginner but keen to learn
  • Interested in joining other detectorists in SA in search of aurum (Au) but only during the weekend

Cheers

Welcome to you Bontje, PA has a vast number of members with a wealth of knowledge to help you get the most out of your prospecting hobby, the first time I asked for advice I couldn't believe how many people responded. Cheers and good luck. Dave :beer:

G'Day Bontje

Welcome to the forum mate :Y:

Your more than welcome to come up to my farm with your great detector and go over this patch out the back of my farm, I have been over the same area several times and this patch of a couple of square meters just gets my cheap detector going off it's tits. I have scrapped around to see if old iron is there and none found, now just below the ground is solid rock and a heap of quartz is thru out the area.

Mod edit: Using machinery in SA is illegal.

Now just be aware we do have black snakes out there and they do keep to themselves and I'll tell you about one account with them.

I have a spring fed dam out the back and I setup a 3" water pipe so I can pump water out to take over the hill for watering our garden and oneday I was there there was this black snake with his head under a cow pat. As it wasn't moving I just setup my Honda fire fighter pump and filled a IBC on my trailer and the snake never moved an inch. About an hour later when I went to get another load that snake was gone. So I walked about a metre away from the reeds and the noise of snakes was there to be seen and they didn't even show a face. If we are lucky we will see a snake skin that measures about 3 metres and thats the big mummy snake and would be over 30 years old.

Cheers Bryan

RuddyCrazy said:
G'Day Bontje

Welcome to the forum mate :Y:

Your more than welcome to come up to my farm with your great detector and go over this patch out the back of my farm, I have been over the same area several times and this patch of a couple of square meters just gets my cheap detector going off it's tits. I have scrapped around to see if old iron is there and none found, now just below the ground is solid rock and a heap of quartz is thru out the area.

Now just be aware we do have black snakes out there and they do keep to themselves and I'll tell you about one account with them.

I have a spring fed dam out the back and I setup a 3" water pipe so I can pump water out to take over the hill for watering our garden and oneday I was there there was this black snake with his head under a cow pat. As it wasn't moving I just setup my Honda fire fighter pump and filled a IBC on my trailer and the snake never moved an inch. About an hour later when I went to get another load that snake was gone. So I walked about a metre away from the reeds and the noise of snakes was there to be seen and they didn't even show a face. If we are lucky we will see a snake skin that measures about 3 metres and thats the big mummy snake and would be over 30 years old.

Cheers Bryan

Hi Bryan. That's some story you got there. I would like to hear where the farm is (at least the region), so I can do a little research on the SARIG website. We can then discuss and see if it's worth trying. I'll send you a PM or email. Cheers

G'Day Bontje,
Mate I'm in the Adelaide hills about 2K out of Kanmantoo, got a 85 acre farm off the grid so not too far to travel and eh bring a swag as when you taste my moonshine and homebrew beer you won't be fit for driving :p :p :p So it will be a good idea to be a driver mate

Weekends are the only option as I do work down the hill and getting up at 4.30am doesn't leave too much time before I hit the fartsack.

Cheers Bryan

Hi guys another new member here from adelaide with the same detector. I have no practical experience other then the back yard but i've spent years researching everything from geology to old timer techniques and have built a large catalog of sa based resources and places to explore.

Would love to head out with another equinox owner sometime Bontje and learn our machines together

Also being a daily whisky drinker (Canadian Club) would love to taste some of that moonshine Bryan ? and look for some gold of course haha

Cheers Troy

G'Day Bryan

RuddyCrazy said:
Your more than welcome to come up to my farm with your great detector and go over this patch out the back of my farm, I have been over the same area several times and this patch of a couple of square meters just gets my cheap detector going off it's tits. I have scrapped around to see if old iron is there and none found, now just below the ground is solid rock and a heap of quartz is thru out the area.Bryan

I would be interested in having a look at this spot for an education.

I have never found any AU, had much more luck with gems in SA, but I have had exactly the same experience that you are describing and I bought a pinpointer that didn't seem to help much.

I have many waypoints in and around MC that I would love to go back to, but need to get a method of 'resolving' what the detector ( SDC ) is saying :)

Give me a head ups when you have a few hours free!!!

BTW - I'm not much of a drinker, but I do make chilly schnapps, would be happy to compare 'notes'

G'Day Guy's,
I will have to check with the minister of finance first, now as quite a few of you guy's have messaged me my idea is as the back of my farm over the hill from our house the rear 42 acre paddock at the rear of the farm is totally virgin ground. So an idea maybe if some guys want to come over and setup a camp site out the back it could provide a couple of days to search the whole area. For a bit of fun I can bury a few coins around the place and the one that finds the most wins a bottle of my finest :Y:

One thing I will say is NO guns are allowed and the noise MUST be kept to a minuim as not too far away is a 5 acre property and one must respect the peace and quiet this area provides.

Now I do have Missy Moo the ex petting cow from Adelaide zoo and two old race horses that live on the farm and yes they are friendly critters so no doubt they will pay a visit and just to butter them up bringing some carrots will go a long way :playful: as this will all part of the fun of the visit. There could be a mob of sheep too about 1600 of them but they will stay away when they see people around.

I'm sure over the years this place has been gone over many times with a detector but as I've said there is a heap of quartz around and with a top notch detector this may just be the key to finding gold in the rocks.
Mod edit: the use of machinery is illegal in SA.

For me it will be great to chat with you guy's about whats needed etc and it could become a new hobby of mine.

So what do you guy's think and please just use this thread I have hijacked and we may need to make a new thread if this is to go ahead.

Cheers Bryan

Hi Bryan,

I'm still up for a little exploration at your farm. Just let me know when (a couple of date options would be great) and what I need to bring (I have a tent and fully equipped except for a toilet)

Greetings from Adelaide, Vasco

Latest posts