Greeting from Russia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a8992a

Andrey
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Thanks for letting me join.
My name is Andrey and I am a detectorist from Russia. I've been searching for old coins since 2006 and I had some success finding several treasures. There is no gold in our area so I would like to come one day to Australia and try gold detecting just to enrich my experience. I have a French XP Deus metal detector with a 9 inch DD coil. It is capable of picking up even half-gram tiny silver coins of 15-17 centuty (see attached enlarged). I like to watch TV about Australian gold hunters and I see that no one uses XP. Isn't this unit good for search of gold? Does anyone have experience working with XP Deus for that purpose? Thanks for your attention.

Last edited:
Gidday Andrey;
Those coins look pretty cool, nice find.
As for your detector I can't comment as I know nothing about it, maybe others here would have experience with them. I've never seen them sold here myself.

Australia is a big place, if you were to come here I would suggest picking a state and concentrating your efforts on it for the time you spent here. Considering your local climate, states such as WA, NT and QLD might be a bit of the shock to the system (body) for you.

Good day. Thanks a lot for your reply. I far as I understand XP are rarely used in Australia maybe because your Minelab is better for gold detecting. If I come to your country I will try to focus on the state where I settle, maybe QLD. I stand hot weather better than the cold one despite of my place of origin :)

Good day. Thanks a lot for your reply. I far as I understand XP are rarely used in Australia maybe because your Minelab is better for gold detecting. If I come to your country I will try to focus on the state where I settle, maybe QLD. I stand hot weather better than the cold one despite of my place of origin :)
Just wait for 95% humidity. 30°c feels like 40

Thanks for taking care. I think this hobby requires positive attitude. Because in my country most expeditions for old coins take very much efforts and bring no findings. And they are costly of course. One should be srtongly keen on it not to get disappointed. My time gap between finding treasures was 14 years.

Latest posts