GPS coords - WHAT am I missing here??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with the above re Latitude Longitude, some more info

1. Best way to remember - these terms are always referred to LAT - LON in that order, LAT is the line across the map so refers to how far north or south, LON is vertical on the map so refers east or west of Greenwich.

2. These coordinates are made up of degrees (D), minutes (M) and seconds (S) i.e The centre of the Tarnagulla Oval is at approx coordinates
36D 46M 31S - S - 143D 49M 42S - E

However, these coords can be stated in a number of ways depending upon the GPS, map or program used. My Garmin E20 shows D, M & S, Oziexplorer shows D, M and decimal points of M.

36 46 30.96 S - 143 49 42.48 E (degrees, minutes, seconds and decimal point of seconds)
36 46.510 S - 143 49.708 E (degrees, minutes and decimal point of minutes)
36.77526667 S - 143.816667 E (degrees and decimal point of degrees)

So 4 ways of showing exactly the same position and you can see the less breakdown of the numbers the more numbers are to the right of the decimal point :)
This is the reason I use UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) for my GPS and its easy to convert in Google earth if you want to use the Lat Lon system for any reason