GPS coords - WHAT am I missing here??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi PA people...
ok here's my issue.....I have 4 x A4 pages of GPS locations of Gold Mines/Diggings in Victoria....
Each listing on each page has its own individual GPS Location....

When I enter one of these into Google Maps 'search bar' I get this....
1575181056_59686708349__e9f0d40e-695a-416b-bd57-63a6e3e34288.jpg

Now id assume this a Digital Digit (DD) GPS ref but as Google Maps couldn't use it I tried to convert it to DMS format.
Entered the given GPS ref in DD format to the Converter App but then got THIS ......
1575181216_img_3453.jpg

so - given I have 4 pages of GPS refs like this HOW DO I ENTER them into Google Maps so I can drop a pin n go n check them out?

Help me Oh Wise Gold Wizards of PA
:koala:

Thanks nucopia and thanks Rockhunter62

so If I reverse the order in which I have the GPS ref (on paper)...
so it becomes
ie -36.80138, 143.79541

Then all I have to do is enter THAT into search bar of google maps n hey presto?

ahh yeah thats for sure....
Im adding 4 pages of GPS refs of mining locations in Vic to My Maps so hopefully all the 'recon' will pan out (Pun intended)
:goldpan: :goldpan: :goldpan:

Thanks LoneWolf
I pretty much printed off about 4-5 pages of gps refs a couple of years ago but the timing is right now that I have better equipment and available time to get out there...
Only just now going from paper Hard copy to Digital Map so the coords check out - I just had them in the reverse order...
ALL the refs I have are in DD format already so I only have to swap the Lat & Long around -

Trying to be efficient in my research & recon so that im not wasting time and fuel just randomly going to places.....
its raining here and im waiting on some equipment to arrive so might as well make the most of it....
Still a noob but learning :)

Latitude in Australia always has the negative symbol - before the Latitude numbers
example -36.80138, 143.79541

So it was easy to see you had the numbers reversed

Plus having a Latitude number with 3 digits (143.0 ) was impossible.

Latitude are always two digits
0 at the equator to +90 N at the North Pole or -90 S at the South Pole

Longitudes can have three digits
Longitudes ( also known as "meridians" ) are measured in degrees East or West of Greenwich
so 0 to 180 East and 0 to 180 West of Greenwich .

Agree with the above re Latitude Longitude, some more info

1. Best way to remember - these terms are always referred to LAT - LON in that order, LAT is the line across the map so refers to how far north or south, LON is vertical on the map so refers east or west of Greenwich.

2. These coordinates are made up of degrees (D), minutes (M) and seconds (S) i.e The centre of the Tarnagulla Oval is at approx coordinates
36D 46M 31S - S - 143D 49M 42S - E

However, these coords can be stated in a number of ways depending upon the GPS, map or program used. My Garmin E20 shows D, M & S, Oziexplorer shows D, M and decimal points of M.

36 46 30.96 S - 143 49 42.48 E (degrees, minutes, seconds and decimal point of seconds)
36 46.510 S - 143 49.708 E (degrees, minutes and decimal point of minutes)
36.77526667 S - 143.816667 E (degrees and decimal point of degrees)

So 4 ways of showing exactly the same position and you can see the less breakdown of the numbers the more numbers are to the right of the decimal point :)

Any Lat or Lon North of the equator will have no - befor the Lat numbers .
North of the equator,
If the Lon numbers (second group of numbers ) have the - before the Lon numbers , then that indicates that it is a Lon that is West of the Greenwich 0 meridian.

Example . Blarney Castle Ireland
51.9291159, -8.5707144

Anything North of the equator that is East of the Zero meridian the Lon will have no -
Example . Paris Eiffel tower

48.8582288, 2.2936659

South of the equator
Lat numbers South of the equator will have -
Lon numbers west of 0 Meridian will also have -

Example. Santiago Chile
We stayed here 3 weeks when my son was training and competing in Southe America

There the Lat and Lon have the - bofore the Lat Lon

- 33.4524263, -70.6192186

ahh yeah I should've realised but I appreciate all the help....beginners mistake haha..
well, ive now potted 6 pages of mine locations onto a digital map...hope I get to most of them...

Might go out today n swing the detector a little...weather is pretty avg but as we've had some rain maybe the ground will be a lil softer to dig...and might 'amp' up any target sounds too.....

Theres a lot of rubbish in the area im going so thats not much fun BUT amongst it is lil nugs too so - Dig Everything.

yep not much 'soft ground' about this time of the year I guess....plus its a drought too.

and Nucopia - yea im sure in time I'll find some....when I do ill post a pic on a thread here...
:goldnugget: :perfect:

Latest posts