Gout, Bloody Gout!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First time I got gout was around 2012. I woke about 2am one night to go pee, when I took my first step from bed I couldn't believe the pain, I was fine when I went to bed... thought I must have done something to my toe while asleep. Anyway back to bed I went and I then knew what I had, I couldn't even let the weight of a bed sheet touch my big toe. My late Dad use to get gout, hereditary.. who knows.

I'd been living the good life, plenty of good quality beer and seafood like it was going out of fashion. I was living overseas at the time and prior had been a FIFO expat for around 17 years, I'd been to some real shitholes but also some absolutely beautiful countries. Food & beer was always on my list in new countries, I tried anything at least once. I suffered gout on and off since so obviously I had to watch what I ate or drank.

I've been on a couple of different medications, they all seemed to work, some quicker than others. Then in June this year I developed a tooth ache in one of my molars. My teeth are in good shape, so it was a little bit surprising but none the less it required a dentists visit, so off I went. As it turns out I had an infection in the root, the dentist obviously suggested the higher dollar road.. rip it out! I said well since I have all my teeth, why not try antibiotics first, if they dont work then I suppose we'll then look at extracting the tooth. He agreed and asked I revert with the outcome - not surprising.

So he prescribed antibiotics, a week later the tooth was fine but I never told him the outcome.. he can work that out himself.

I've not had gout since which is very odd, Ive been on the turps, cheese, bloody steaks, seafood & vegemite... all the stuff they say dont eat if you suffer gout. Not sure what to make of this, has anyone experienced similar gout fixes from treating apparent unrelated problems?

I can't answer for the gout but I can comment on the tooth (yes, I'm a dentist). If you did have an infection of the root, the antibiotics have bought you some time but they do not cure the underlying problem. An infection of the root almost always means a dead (or dying) nerve and the antibiotics don't bring it back to life. Don't fall for the trap of thinking it's all gone and won't come back!

Sanguine said:
I can't answer for the gout but I can comment on the tooth (yes, I'm a dentist). If you did have an infection of the root, the antibiotics have bought you some time but they do not cure the underlying problem. An infection of the root almost always means a dead (or dying) nerve and the antibiotics don't bring it back to life. Don't fall for the trap of thinking it's all gone and won't come back!

at the time my tooth was loose and damn painful, its now snug in the gum with no pain and I've normal sensation in the tooth.. so maybe it wasn't the root but a gum infection, I dunno but its certainly fine now & I dont seem to suffer from gout anymore

Whats the chances of a dentist finding my post 10mins after posting... I'm off to buy a lotto ticket :lol:

BigL said:
Whats the chances of a dentist finding my post 10mins after posting... I'm off to buy a lotto ticket :lol:

LOL don't talk about tax returns then.

BTW I had gout a couple of times, doc said to drink twice the amount of water I normally do.
That seems to have fixed it, never got it again.

yes water, I dont drink enough thats for sure. I do keep an eye on my pee colour and try to keep that clear but its always a reactive drink, I'm not proactive enough.

An Irishman once whispered out the side of his mouth to me.. "lemons mate". Tried that and Apple Cider Vinegar too both of which did give me some relief once in a Muslim country that didn't sell gout medication.

Up until I took the antibiotics, I did cut back on cheese, almost gave it away and I think of all the food and drink I cut back, that seemed to help the most. Now I'm now back on cheese and everything else and so far, so good.

If you see a grown man skipping down to his local.. thats me :p

I suffered badly from frequent recurrences of gout 2 years ago. I now take Allopurinol tablets & have not had an episode in 18 months.

Bloody painful, a summer sheet feels like an anvil.

I'm 40 and my first gout attack at 25.

My grandfather, father, brothers all had it, severe attacks, not mild or moderate attacks, which is unusual for younger to get so serve and so early on.

My experiences are;

Allopurinol is no good, it crippled me for three months straight!!!

Lengout Cholchicine is useless

I take Adenuric febuxostat 80mg daily (doctors don't like prescribing this due to the very high cost in comparison to other medications)
When a attack occurs take Indocid 25mg two in begining then one after three times a day until pain gone.
Attacks now have gone from two weeks being crippled to about only three-four.

Yes drinking water, eating cherry's and the juice, tumeric all help.
Having less weight also helps.

Avoid hot baths, alcohol, plums, (my brother if eats lamb chops will trigger a gout attack, my father a day before rain comes would often get attacks)
There are some things with each person that will nearly guarantee a attack but this normally takes years to work out.

But really what works is well not physically doing more than a hour a day, as doing so will nearly guarantee a attack to be brought on.

People will think your just lazy because they see a "youngish" bloke able to walk and move but they just won't understand that there is only so much you can do before you'll be crippled. I understand there thoughts as even now after 15 years I start thinking (if haven't had a attack for a while) about doing more.
Sure enough as soon as I do I become crippled (I call it the "reminder")
I guess I'm at the stage now of accepting of how much I can do and managing it the best I can and I really no longer care what others think of me, I know I do the most I can without the need to push it to far and become crippled and in pain.
Also to note; Don't think all typical gout shows swollen, red, sweaty, painful to touch. Yes nine out of ten gout attacks will show these signs but with my gout it's not like my fathers or brothers. Mine often shows No swelling, No redness, can touch, but is so painful can not walk without crotch's.

I Woke up sunday morning 2 weekends back with pain in my right knee and couldnt walk on it, trip to the docs on the monday to find out they reckon i got gout in my right knee. So now the fun bit of changing up my diet and drinking more water, Have been itching to get out for a dig but have had to put it off

Latest posts