Got a little Sluice cheap.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plenty of volume there. Adjust the volume/slope combination until you can see particles 'dancing' in the riffles. As long as it clears between loads all is good. You don't want the water and loam solution to form a carpet over the riffles because that will carry the gold through as there are no holes to drop into if the sluice is overloaded.
Best of luck.

Looks good Paul,
I have the same banker.
Best mod by far I've done to it is make up a new riffle bar with smaller but more riffles.
Original is 20mm flatbars, I've gone down to 13mm & the sluice performs much better.
Allows you to run a smaller bilge pump(longer run time out of battery) or less rpm on a petrol pump(less noise & better fuel economy)and allows you to run the sluicebox at less angle.

Cheers - Marty

Thanks fella's, the help from this forum has been great, got lots of good idea's here so very much appreciated.

Thanks Marty, I'll have to look into the riffles & see about getting something made up, would be worth doing by the sounds of it.
Have got the 2 batteries now so should be right to run for a few hours but will have to test that out, the pump draws 16ah so a reasonable amount which would probably run the battery down a bit. I'll set up the panel when I am running it so that might help a little as well hopefully.

Got down creek today for first test run, all went well & spray bar system seemed to work good, I'm happy with it so far & with a few set up adjustments & some little changes it should get better. Although as this is our first banker & my first time running it like this in a creek I wouldn't really know how it is compared to others anyway, but for me its alraight.

Done a quick clean after half an hour to see how things were going.

Then got into it again for maybe 2 hours or a little less, was just taking my time & going slow & making sure it was working good.
Could of went much faster & processed alot more gravels but thats not what I was there for.
This is the result for the 2nd run.

Just as I was setting it up I went up onto the bank where I had a couple tubs with gear in them sitting, as I got near them I seen a brown snake take off & heading into the grass, think he came from near or under the tubs as the were sitting on a heap of long grass stuff, glad he heard/felt me nearby & took off, was only a couple weeks back I seen a red belly in the same spot.

Nice job. Good color. Don't know what you other blokes think, but from the photo, the water seems to be going very high over the ripples, or is that normal?

Well done Ozziii.
Nice haul.
Yes, banking is addictive.
Looking forward to seeing more of your stories, pictures & videos.

Top job!

cecc said:
Don't know what you other blokes think, but from the photo, the water seems to be going very high over the ripples, or is that normal?

Hey Cess,
Yeah, I'm with you on that too.
I have the same banker & had the same concerns. I've reduced the riffle height to almost half & the water action is much better now.
Almost like the water slows down as it has to go so high over the riffles, then speeds up again causing them waves.

The riffle mod is very simple to do. I'll post up a pic of mine later.

Thanks everyone, going to enjoy having this thing I reckon.

Sure does speed thing up G0lddigg@, & that was only going real slow getting an idea on what I should be doing.

CECC, I've been looking at that myself, wasn't sure if changing sluice angle would make it better, might try it next time.
I guess steeper would speed flow up & cause riffle to be layed over more but was thinking that could also cause gold to be washed out.
Thought about flattening the sluice so less angle which would make riffle steeper but then water would slow down, probably run deeper over the riffles & maybe not cause the waves as much, but it may also not wash gravels out as much.

From my test run yesterday I would say it may need to be run a little steeper as there was still some reasonable sized stones that stayed in sluice & a decent amount of fine gravels.

The riffle mod Ag Man has done sounds like the best way to sort it out, will have to check out the pic when you post it Ag Man, thanks.
I think I had the sluice section at 10 degree to start with & made it slightly steeper later on to help wash more gravels out.

It looks like you have it running well ozziii, nice gold amount too. By the looks of the cleanup photos..chunky and also very fine gold caught.
I first thought mabey somethings up with water flow or angle but its hard to tell from those photos. Its fun work carrying all that down to the creek isn't it? ;) :p

I like to keep a pan at the end of my sluice and pan it every once in a while to see if there's any loss due toe the sluice angle or a stick throwing out vortexes

Thanks AR, yeah it seems to be going ok so far. The gold looks a little chunkier is the pics I think but there was a couple that were close to be pickers, but yes a bit of fine stuff as well.
& yeah, the best part was making 3 trips from car to creek carrying gear, then 3 trips from creek to car while packing up,haha, love that.
We have a box trolly or removalist trolly thing I'm going to use but just need to make a few changes first, seen one on this forum not long back & it looks like a good idea.
I'll have to remember to check what comes off the sluice next time to make sure nothing is getting away, have a few containers that might be good for it so will try it out.

Ag Man said:
Well done Ozziii.
Nice haul.
Yes, banking is addictive.
Looking forward to seeing more of your stories, pictures & videos.

Top job!

cecc said:
Don't know what you other blokes think, but from the photo, the water seems to be going very high over the ripples, or is that normal?

Hey Cess,
Yeah, I'm with you on that too.
I have the same banker & had the same concerns. I've reduced the riffle height to almost half & the water action is much better now.
Almost like the water slows down as it has to go so high over the riffles, then speeds up again causing them waves.

The riffle mod is very simple to do. I'll post up a pic of mine later.

I'd be interested in that pic and a description of that mod, Ag Man, as I have the GS17, and am starting to think of a few mods.

Nice haul mate! it is a compact unit....i agree with everyones comments regarding rifles and high water but i reckon it will fix itself by less angle it will slow down the exchange, but it will make the rifles work for the gold...im sure it will work. If not then yeah change the rifles...nice looking spot ya got.

yobskin said:
Nice haul mate! it is a compact unit....i agree with everyones comments regarding rifles and high water but i reckon it will fix itself by less angle it will slow down the exchange, but it will make the rifles work for the gold...im sure it will work. If not then yeah change the rifles...nice looking spot ya got.

Thanks Yobskin,, I'll try that next time I go out, was thinking similar but really I have no clue,haha.
If angle changes don't work then I look at getting some smaller riffle made up.

yobskin said:
...i agree with everyones comments regarding rifles and high water but i reckon it will fix itself by less angle it will slow down the exchange, but it will make the rifles work for the gold...im sure it will work. If not then yeah change the rifles...

I tried less angle too but that seemed to clog the riffles up too quick.

I did say I'd post a coupla pictures of the riffles I made for my GS10.

Here is the new riffle bars fitted in the banker.
They are shorter in length to allow for my catch tray directly under the grizzly bars.
1455689652_img_3989.jpg

That's them out.
I think the sides are 20mm flat bar & the riffles are 13mm set at 45degrees with 50mm spacings(going by the theory of 4 x the height of your riffles should be the spacings between each riffle).
1455689958_img_3992.jpg

The reverse water inlet/jet is just out of PVC. I've deleted the original water manifold - giving the hopper probably 15% more area.
Works great.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/B1A-5GGqlMI[/video]

Thanks for posting Ag Man, that water flow is definitely much smoother & looks like it would reduce the risk of gold being flushed out, think I might have to look into getting something similar done.
I had also thought about cutting most of that top section out on the hopper & capping the pipe, was going to leave some of the top flat part for strength & to stop the chance of water pushing gravels over the top as the water out of the 3 nozzles goes pretty hard when its just them running & I was thinking it would maybe act like a bit of a wash section with the top part there maybe causing the gravels to swirl around, sounded good when I thought of it anyway.

That top section in the sluice, the catch tray, how does that work & is it a good addition.
Looking at it I was thinking it might just fill with small gravel bits but I guess the water from the hopper would wash it out a bit, do you catch much gold in that part.
Thanks.

P.S, sorry about all the questions, I'm a thinking type person & like to know the finer details.lol. It will all come in handy for when I'm able to build my ultimate highbanker.

Latest posts