Got a little Sluice cheap.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziii

Paul
Reaction score
Picked this Sluicy high banker up today, unused, was going cheap on Facebook so decided to get it, its a GS10 model from Sluicy gold equipment. Just need to get a few other bits & pieces now to get it set up, not enough water from the garden tap.
Any tips on the matting to use would be helpful, it only has the ribbed carpet stuff & small expanded mesh with riffles at the moment but did have a look at Bunnings for some matting, thought I would check here before making any changes though.
Might look into getting a bilge pump for now, will have to check some stuff out.
Thanks.

There's nothing wrong with expanded mesh ( as long as its the right way around ) and riffles. They work fine. I'd be checking for gaps in riffles being a made at home type job. Can you post a closeup of the riffles in the box? You will proba ly notice after the first run that the legs will get jammed with pebbles and sand. Clean them if you can before adjusting so it will slide easier. You may also want to consider a bigger inlet but you may be limited as the current fitting ( or is that bigger and youve put a hose fitting onto it? ). Looks like a 1/2" i let.. i personally wouldnt use anything smaler than 1"-1.5" for inlet for create a strong vortex. These sluices are fun as they can be modified quite easily. Having bars as a classifier for large rocks, you will notice that some rock will get caught and you want to keep this free of rock as often as you see something stuck in it. Why? If you leave a rock jammed, it will bend the bars, therefore changing your classifying size of feed into the lower sluice.

Don't stress about mats and things though honestly mate...that setup will catch gold.

First thing I'd do is buy longer legs to make setup faster and problem free. If you can, look for feet of some sort for the bottom of the legs to prevent it slipping into the ground and changing your angle.

Thanks Atom, its a Sluicy Gold Equipment high banker from Benalla, good little units from what I've read, he makes a fair few of them.
The riffles seem to sit down pretty well & there doesn't seem to be any gaps I can see.

The inlet is a 25mm pipe, I just screwed the hose fitting on to run some water through it, just wanted to see if there would be enough water from the hose but there isn't.

The pipe just goes straight through & water hits the metal & spreads out, should be alright from what I've seen as long as I don't shovel too much dirt in all at once.
I had read about the bunnings matting that seemed popular so thought it might be worth getting some if it does a better job that the ribbed carpet. I'll keep an eye on the legs as well & will see about getting some longer ones made with plates on the bottom, thats actually one of the first things I noticed.
Thanks.

Cool.
1451723922_1476364148.gif

Don't change it.
Just go get your self a Rato Pump and hoses from one of our sponsors and go for it.
They are a very well thought out piece of kit and you will not go wrong.
Atom's comments about the legs are correct and it does not take much to change them.
It will do very well to begin with the way it is.

Mate heres the drill, if you run a 1 inch pump on that banker you must do so at or a little over idle. But that is a good thing it will save you bucks on fuel and you will be able to work at distance with no trouble. Nightjar is right under full throttle man what a sight that would be.

Struth. LOL
Full throttle,
Rooster tails every where.
What we are talking about is lee way.
If you are not pumping a small distance uphill or along a flat for 10 meters, A small pump like we say is just over idle.
Or if you are processing clay, A tad bit more.
If you are about 10 meters high or about 20 meters from your pump.
A bit more throttle.
Depends on where and what you are doing and you can fit a tap in line to choke your delivery.
If you are now worried,
Go a 1 inch pump and hoses.
You might regret it in the long run with a 1 inch but that is a very well designed Banker mate. :D :D :D

Nightjar said:
AtomRat said:
Looks like a 1/2" i let.. i personally wouldnt use anything smaler than 1"-1.5" for inlet for create a strong vortex. .

Sheez Atom, A 1" inlet on that size sluice, let alone a 1 1/2" would blast the material off the end of the top chute.
A 12V bilge pump would be ideal.

I agree with atom 1 inch minimum if not 1.5, i run 1.5 inch with 5.5 hp pump about 1/4 throttle or less on a gs13 highbanker, perfect cheapest set up for you would be a rato pump with 1 or 1.5 inch hose and the rato would be half throttle or a bit higher. If you do try a bildge you may get volume but no preasure imo.
Go on ebay and search your gs10 and in the specs it will rate how many gallons per hour you need. If you have trouble msg me i have a similar but larger banket.

Thanks for all the help, its very much appreciated.
The connection on the hopper is only around 1 inch (I.D), read somewhere that 2200gph to 2500gph is ideal so was thinking a 3000gph bilge pump would be alright for now & around a 10 metre hose from pump to sluice should get me started, will just have to choose where I set up wisely for now. Petrol would be nice & is something we will upgrade too, but for now we have to keep it as cheap as we can, got a tight budget.
Would also like to be able to recirculate water if needed so a bilge pump will be good for that as well.
I'll check out one of the metal fab places this week about the legs, another 12 inches should be enough I think.
I'm not sure if it really needs much pressure to run as it doesn't have spray bars, the inlet on the hopper is just an open pipe on the other side & water just hits the alloy part & spreads out so it just needs the volume from what I've seen in video's. I watched one that ran off a bilge pump with just under 2000gph, it ran ok but slightly more water volume would be better so thats why I was thinking the 3k pump would do ok for a start.

Fossicking Kid, I found this one in a local gold seekers group, I had just got on the net & looked in the group & it popped up, was perfect timing, so I replied straight away & picked it up an hour later. There a couple of people that advertise them down here though.
Normally this model is around $210-220 plus postage, we got this for $150 & it hadn't been used.

Thanks for the help, its given me much to think about.

My theory is more volume, less pressure.
With your set up Ozziii, too much pressure will wash the material off the top chute without getting wet?
Maybe do a run and check & clean riffles, if there is gold present do another run with the same material and check whether any gold got carried away stuck to rocks on first run?

Good luck.

Nightjar said:
My theory is more volume, less pressure.
With your set up Ozziii, too much pressure will wash the material off the top chute without getting wet?
Maybe do a run and check & clean riffles, if there is gold present do another run with the same material and check whether any gold got carried away stuck to rocks on first run?

Good luck.

Thanks NJ, yeah thats something I was thinking about, didn't wan't to go to big with the pump incase it washed gravels etc through to fast therefor maybe washing gold through as well. I read about someone running the same h/banker with the 2000gph bilge pump & it worked good, so maybe I should just try that, be a little cheaper then too.

I guess the angle of the sluice can be adjusted as well so atleast that will help a little if water flow is a little on the low side.

DrDuck said:
A cheap fix for the legs is to get rubber chair leg ends of the appropriate size at Bunnings.

I'll have to have a look for them when I go to bunnings next, might actually go soon, they are just around the corner.

When you're at Bunnings, look in the gardening poly hose/pipe area and make your own spray boom?

Latest posts