Got a little Sluice cheap.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good Ag Man. thanks for the video, and the bit about setting up the riffles, always wondered how you work out angle, distance etc. Good info.

ozziii said:
That top section in the sluice, the catch tray, how does that work & is it a good addition.
Looking at it I was thinking it might just fill with small gravel bits but I guess the water from the hopper would wash it out a bit, do you catch much gold in that part.
Thanks.

It's just a little tray/box that sits directly under the grizzly bars.
Maybe 50/60% or more of the gold stays in there.

Easily comes out whilst pump is still running - so the flow over the riffles doesn't surge each time you start or stop the pump.

1455769251_img_3990.jpg

I take it out every 20 or so shovel loads & pan out the contents to see if I'm still digging in the right spot.

Always a good idea to put a tub under exit of the sluice when starting & stopping the pump so you catch anything that dislodged from the water surges.

otherwise known as a nugget trap, they are a fantastic addition to a small banker i use them in my small sampler and backpack highbankers and they work a treat.

I think sometimes people forget that stopping the gold from getting into the sluice in the first place can be quite simple and rewarding in that they often are less than a handful of concentrates

Ag Man said:
ozziii said:
That top section in the sluice, the catch tray, how does that work & is it a good addition.
Looking at it I was thinking it might just fill with small gravel bits but I guess the water from the hopper would wash it out a bit, do you catch much gold in that part.
Thanks.

It's just a little tray/box that sits directly under the grizzly bars.
Maybe 50/60% or more of the gold stays in there.

Easily comes out whilst pump is still running - so the flow over the riffles doesn't surge each time you start or stop the pump.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/113/1455769251_img_3990.jpg

I take it out every 20 or so shovel loads & pan out the contents to see if I'm still digging in the right spot.

Always a good idea to put a tub under exit of the sluice when starting & stopping the pump so you catch anything that dislodged from the water surges.

Thanks very much Ag Man, sounds like a great idea & along with the riffles probably one of the better mods to do.
Looks like something worth trying & like G0lddigg@ said, great for a small banker.
Easy way like you said about checking after 20 or so shovels & seeing if you're in the right spot, probably something I should be doing I think.

Got some video of the highbanker down the creek today, posted it in the thread I have in the members video section of the forum.
Have found a few nice little bits so far & got a nice little picker today so pretty happy so far.
Brother having a dig.

The gold for under 3 hours & the little picker. While its not much & only a very little picker, we are more than happy with our first highbanker, just wish I had the gear to built/make some stuff myself.

Its been going good, haven't worried about any other changes though, I was going to but didn't think it was much use as it works good enough as is.

Sounds very promising.
Going to do something very similar regarding your angled back spray bar as it looks brilliant.

What mat set up did you settle with? you end up getting the V mat and unbacked moss

What_Trigger said:
Sounds very promising.
Going to do something very similar regarding your angled back spray bar as it looks brilliant.

What mat set up did you settle with? you end up getting the V mat and unbacked moss

I use the spaghetti type backed mat from Bunnings, it works reasonably well I think.
Was going to put ribbed or Vortex mat in the hopper but I think gold would probably be washed out because of the spray bar set up.
It still has the small expanded mesh which I don't really like, not sure if I'd be better off without it or probably best to get some with slightly larger gaps, but going to sell the highbanker so won't be changing it now.

Yeah selling, weld pretty much sold anyway. As I go out my myself most of the time its much easier to carry a river sluice & pans etc & not try to cart everything needed for the highbanker.

Reason for not liking small mesh is that it sits virtually flay & even a picker like the .22gr I got while panning would go over the small expanded mesh easily. If the mesh had bigger holes & sat higher then the picker would get caught in the holes easier.
Think if I had of changed it I would go a large expanded mesh with no riffles.
But I'm not very experienced though so my thinking may be wrong.

Latest posts