Got a little Sluice cheap.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah they are pretty good, seem solid & strong as well. That rotating bevel makes it easy to set up the angles properly. Not sure what angle we have ran out sluice on, think it was around 15, maybe a little more but that was with low water flow so will adjust that once we get a pump.

I like the way you have your river sluice set up, look good.

Yeah just threw gal beer bucket up top with spray bars and mesh does the job so far. We have a 2.5hp pump with tap to adjust the flow took us a couple of goes but once we hit the 13 degrees and the water flow right it was working great.
Cheers.

Thanks Atom, slowly goes it. No big hurry though, enjoying learning how to pan at the moment & getting a few specs in each pan from a spot I found so happy with that so far.
Really need to get a pump before I can do much with the pipes & spray bar set up, need to work out how many holes, how big & where to place them but with no pump its no use drilling.
Hoping to get pump soon but got car rego coming up so pump will have to wait, unless I can pan some good gold & sell it,haha.

I seen a small pump in Bunnings that was run off a weed eater motor that had a 1" outlet and inlet, That's what I was think I would run on mine when I made it. It's been raining for the last 3 nights here in Gladstone QLD but there will be no running water by morning only a few puddles to wash anything in. looking forward to next wkend to go for a swirl Near Marmor and Raglan at my mates place. There has got to be some thing out that way?

If that was the Bunnings 2-stroke Woolie...they are soo noisy.. like really really noisy.

I'd be lookin at pumps that have a bigger than 1". Look for 1.5" or 2" inlet / outlet pumps as you only run them at idle and restrict the hose to suit your sluice input size, rather than finding a fitting pump for the sluice.

The only 1" outlet pump I own is an electric submersiable to be run off a generator

Going to try out a couple of the electric bilge pumps in a week or so if all goes to plan, got a mate coming down that has the 2000 & 3000gph pumps so will try them out & see how it goes, that will atleast give me a good idea on how it runs & what amount of water works well with it. I have to keep everything compact to fit in my car, but I will get a 4 stroke pump later on, already looked at a few which will work alright, although having something like a 1.5 inch pump would be batter choice so might check a few of them out as well.

hey ozziii i'm in the process of taking stock of what to keep and what to part with before a move to qld in june/july.

I will be pulling out all my gear this weekend and making some tuff decisions about what realistically i'll be able to take with me and i have a little 2 stroke pump with all the pickups, hose and such to go with it if you are interested. i'm in Mount helen you're also welcome to try out my 3700gph bilge here if you want.

i think you will find a 3000/3700 gph will suit you perfectly as you can always run thinner hose to restrict.

Thanks Golddigg@, don't think I'll be worrying about a petrol pump for a while yet though, went down the creek with a couple mates yesterday & a Goldcube using an electric pump, was great to be able to talk easily & not have to put up with the noise, but would only be getting a 4 stroke when I do eventually get one though. Not sure what size bilge pump I will actually need but will be trying one out in the next couple of weeks, have a mate coming down & bringing a 2000 & 3000 gph pump to test the water flow, that will atleast give me a good idea on what I need before I purchase one myself.

fair call mate, for me the petrol 2 stroke was only for pumping up hill out of dams etc where bilge pumps fail. i agree nothing better than being able to hear the conversation.... depending on whos with you :)

Decided I would try something different instead of the normal type of spray bar because I only want water coming from the lower end of the hopper too help keep gravels in the wash area a little longer & also create water turbulence that might help stir the gravels a little more, not worried about small high power sprays for breaking up clay. Will still have a bit of water coming from the top section that will help wash gravels down into the wash area & into the sluice.

Thats going to be one splashy system mate might need to raise your sidewalls and rear panel but i reckon that will wash really well.

G0lddigg@ said:
Thats going to be one splashy system mate might need to raise your sidewalls and rear panel but i reckon that will wash really well.

Thanks G0lddigg@, I'll have to keep an eye on that.
I was thinking about adding another ball valve on the side pipe to adjust flow to the spray bar, was just going to be for water flow adjustment but it may also be able to use it to help reduce some splashing as well if I'm lucky, thanks, didn't really think of that.

Got the pump today, was given another big battery from my old man & a solar panel so that will be a good thing to have, also gave us some convoluted pipe but when tested we found it had about half a dozen tiny holes so we went & got some fitting & some Layflat hose.
Hooked it all up & it seems to run alright, just need to test down the creek now.
Actually thought it might have more flow than it does, maybe restricted by the fittings on each end of the layflat I think as they are only 25mm, inside is a little smaller. might need to work out a better solution.
Here's a video of it getting a test run at home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmyV1pFoQb0

Thanks Slowflow, will take it down the creek tomorrow & try it out, hoping the water flow through the sluice section is enough as it just looks less than I have seen in video's of other sluices, a test out will soon sort that out though.
Can't wait to give it a run.

Latest posts