Good Base in WA?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to base myself in WA for 4-6 months a year.

Need a fairly central location wrt,(WITH REGARD TO) "Gold Fields"

Could be a trailer park or a rental in a town.

Any pointers?

Would appreciate members sharing their experience.
EDIT: Please do not use text talk on the forum!!!
Jaros :mad:

Gee`s MT,that one had me scratching my head also.The trouble with that type of text talk is where it`s going to stop at.

Cheers

Phil

Thanks Grub..... grrr I hate this text message type speak. If his next post has lol, roflmao or ymmv in it, when he gets to WA I'll hunt him down and punch him big_smile

Rottnest Island.
Never see anyone detecting there, they're too busy getting drunk and kicking Quokkas.... you'd have all the gold to yourself! thumbsup big_smile

I'm not interested in the gold on this forum anymore........ I just follow MTs comments. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are one funny bugger mate :Y:

Rob.

Bazz said:
xcvator said:
diggit said:
madtuna said:
Thanks Grub..... grrr I hate this text message type speak. If his next post has lol, roflmao or ymmv in it, when he gets to WA I'll hunt him down and punch him :D
WA?
Wallet Attack
hahahaha!!!
ymmy ??????
I'm an "OF" so I'm not sure about ymmy!!!

Your Mileage May Vary

Oi lets use the Queens English-this crap isn't going anywhere and Keep on topic.
Jaros--I don't understand it keep on using Dr Google to work it out!!!!!!! :eek:

Thanks Gentlemen for the feedback, seems to have settled down.

I will follow up on the suggestions.

For your information I do not text or for that matter have a mobile phone, (gave it up in 2000) but I am sorry if I caused any offence by using abbreviation.

A late response from me since I have been investigating old mine sites in the North Pennies in the UK.

JJB100 said:

For your information I do not text or for that matter have a mobile phone, (gave it up in 2000) but I am sorry if I caused any offence by using abbreviation.

A late response from me since I have been investigating old mine sites in the North Pennies in the UK.
All good mate .
To do what you are intending takes a lot of advanced planning.
It also needs a budget .
Maybe a bit more information would help us to understand your own personal requirements.
Are you living some where here in Australia that you can use as a permanent home base or are you only coming here for 4 to 6 months every year.
One thing you need regardless, is reliable 4x4 transport to get you around, not only out bush, but long distances from the city to the bush and from town to town , out in to the bush..
As an example Perth to Kalgoorlie = 600 km. Kalgoorlie -Leanora 300 kms
You will also need accommodation. You can tacklet that two ways find a place in or near a gold producing area and rent something or get your a caravan or camper.
Renting a hose for 4 to 6 months might prove difficult in smaller towns due to availability cost and competition and even more expensive and hard to come by in towns with a high demand.
Your second option is to go for accommodation you can take with you such as a small van and or camper trailer.
the advantages then is mobility cheaper fees in caravan parks , no fees in free camp grounds etc and you can take it with you when you are out in remote areas detecting where you have a base to go back to when you and if you hit a good patch.
You also spend less time travelling and more time detecting.

Nucopia,

Thank you for this response.

For background I have a residence in Perth but have had to commute (every 5 weeks for 6 years) between my other residence in the UK while I supported my wife caring for her 97 year old mother (sadly passed February this year but 97 years on this earth - wow).

I am now making plans to return to Perth and Fossicking has always been top of my To Do list. I am now working part time in my industry so will have the luxury of time.

Fossicking for me will be as a hobby to enjoy (hope I am not upsetting anyone here). Like exploring the mine sites in the North Pennies (Silver, Lead + Roman & Saxon treasures if you are lucky) with the added bonus of fly fishing (7 kg Sea Trout getting puled at the moment).

The Pilbara has been mentioned above, I first went there to work at construction and line camps in Paraburdoo, Shay Gap, Mount Newman and Port Hedland.
This was when you worked 3 months on site and 2 weeks back in Perth. Your accommodation was a portacabin divided into 4 double rooms and the ablution block was a far walk away. This makes the FIFO 2on 2 off seem like a holiday

I have done a lot of research over the years and I have made out check lists for Camping Equipment, Kitchen Equipment, Food, clothing, personal gear, Tengraph etc.

I have been trawling the internet club and car sites looking at Patrols or Landcruisers that are readily kitted out to some extent. I think your suggestion of mobil accommodation would be the way to go. As you have said you can move your base when required. But this I would not want to do too many times

On top of that I have a budget for buying the kit and day to day running for up to 2-3 months.

So the basics are an area that I can have a secure main base in a town and go out and explore in a 100km radius. I am leaning towards Leonora or somewhere in the Pilbara not too far from the coast.

I realise that I will miss Spring this year so could even consider exploration camping trips from Perth south.

I would welcome comments, suggestions and experiences being very green and inexperienced hopefully not another lamb to the slaughter!

nucopia said:
JJB100 said:

All good mate .
To do what you are intending takes a lot of advanced planning.
It also needs a budget .
Maybe a bit more information would help us to understand your own personal requirements.
Are you living some where here in Australia that you can use as a permanent home base or are you only coming here for 4 to 6 months every year.
One thing you need regardless, is reliable 4x4 transport to get you around, not only out bush, but long distances from the city to the bush and from town to town , out in to the bush..
As an example Perth to Kalgoorlie = 600 km. Kalgoorlie -Leanora 300 kms
You will also need accommodation. You can tacklet that two ways find a place in or near a gold producing area and rent something or get your a caravan or camper.
Renting a hose for 4 to 6 months might prove difficult in smaller towns due to availability cost and competition and even more expensive and hard to come by in towns with a high demand.
Your second option is to go for accommodation you can take with you such as a small van and or camper trailer.
the advantages then is mobility cheaper fees in caravan parks , no fees in free camp grounds etc and you can take it with you when you are out in remote areas detecting where you have a base to go back to when you and if you hit a good patch.
You also spend less time travelling and more time detecting.

G'day JJB
Kalgoorlie Leonora area is a good start..
The Mrs an I are thinking about heading out that way our selves one day soon.
We have a Toyota Prado and a camper trailer.
The Prado is getting a new engine put in it this week finally ( woot woot) and the camper is slowly being kitted out ,started a year ago and its still not finished.
Its at the stage we can camp in it but still not 100% to what we plan or need ..but we will get there eventually.

In your case, If you have a secure residence in Perth you could use that as your secure base for storing your 4x4 and camper/van, when you are in the UK,and it also gives you the option to drive to different destinations each time you return from the UK.

Latest posts