Goldfields police want prospectors 2 have emergency beacons

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a SPOT 2 unit that is strapped on my motorcycle when I head off somewhere. When I go for a weekend ride its a little further then the local coffee shop.
I have found them to be very reliable and they have an SOS button if required.
It pings sats every 10 minutes so my rides get tracked. I actually utilise a site called Spotwalla to interface the ride onto a google type map that I can save. I have a library of rides from 2009.
I can send a link to my Wifes email so she watch my progress ( so I have to be a good boy) but it put her at ease. if I plan to stop for a rest anywhere and don't have mobile access then I can send a preset message to her to say that I am stopping for a while or what ever you wish to preset.
Perhaps a good alternative and handy if out of mobile range.

1387538298_mitchell_trip.png

CW

I thought of this a few years back, why not have a EPIRB as it would save lives just as much as the fishermen need them.
I don't believe that pensioners out there digging cant afford one of these as most would have enough gold found to cover the cost for one.
A life saved is more valuable than the cost of a EPIRB device.
My 10 cents worth.
Play safe
Cheers
Brad...

aushunter said:
I thought of this a few years back, why not have a EPIRB as it would save lives just as much as the fishermen need them.
I don't believe that pensioners out there digging cant afford one of these as most would have enough gold found to cover the cost for one.
A life saved is more valuable than the cost of a EPIRB device.
My 10 cents worth.
Play safe
Cheers
Brad...

some of us give money to charities every now and then

if we get lost and search parties go out looking for us that can cost $ 100,000 just for a few days of their expenses

we can reverse that risk with $ 300 of safety gear , compare that to a detector worth $ 5000 ?

maybe miners den will start offering an EPIRB with each detector sold instead of an extra coil as next months " special "

Epirbs are a great investment if you venture into extremely remote regions like the WA gold fields or remote Central QLD. Always have mine with the vehicle when over there.

The biggest killer when detecting is not falling off a cliff or being bitten by a Tiapan...EPIRBs won't help you there. The biggest threat is getting lost, and in most cases these chaps haven't got a GPS, (with a spare set of batteries). In remote areas I carry 2 GPS units as I've been caught before with one malfunctioning.

Buy an EPIRB for sure if you're constantly in serious terrain, but a GPS (or 2 ) and the knowledge to use it properly will save your bacon more often than an EPIRB.

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
The biggest killer when detecting is not falling off a cliff or being bitten by a Tiapan...EPIRBs won't help you there. The biggest threat is getting lost, and in most cases these chaps haven't got a GPS, (with a spare set of batteries). In remote areas I carry 2 GPS units as I've been caught before with one malfunctioning.

Cheers Wal.

so Wal, what brand models of handheld GPS do you use?

Hi All, without being technologically savvy, we have had this discussion and I agree wholeheartedly with Wal, if you are going to be seriously remote, then it would seem to be common sense to spend the money on an EPIRB as a form of insurance. I also think that the GPS unit has a swag of benefits for more common use even on shorter trips, not so much for when (if) you get "directionally challenged" (never lost), but for marking a spot for future reference, marking the spot of a good find, or somewhere to avoid, not to mention that as Wal said, many times having the GPS will assist you to find your way out without help. So each have there uses, but to be made to get an EPIRB would be a bit rich if you just prospect out your own local area type of thing.

A spot tracker, epirb or gps would be good but what ever happened to the good old paper map and compass and the knowledge on how to use them?. Of course If your injured a paper map ain't going to help. In remote areas a sat phone would be good idea. Remember about 12 months ago a power line worker in north Queensland got separated from his workmate and by the time they found him (which wasn't long) he was dead from a tiapan bite, maybe a epirb or spot tracker may have saved him?. I thought about a timer controlled epirb or spot tracker type device fitted to your vehicle which would go off if you didn't get back on time.
:) Mick

I've got 2 Garman GPS12's and Liz has a Magellan. We log our camps on each time we move and often walk 20km from the vehicle during the day.

When detecting your head is always on the ground and in the outback there's very few landmarks to let you know of your position,(no matter how good your bush skills are). Same goes for the mountainous East coast. Have come across lost guys on several occasions and wonder how more prospectors fail to perish.

Anybody who detects and walks any distance from their vehicle in unfamiliar territory without a GPS, is in my opinion very foolish and asking for trouble. Gold is great but not worth dying for.

Cheers Wal.

GPS won t save your life, PLB will, simple. Amazing that people will spend a couple of hundred bucks on silly stuff, but over look the important stuff. PLB sends a signal direct to AMSA, and can be tracked by most air craft. GME have the MT401G which can get down to a 10m accuracy. There are a few others out there,, but really just toys. Spot trackers etc don't send a signal with your location to a 24 hour, 365 days a year manned emergency centre, who can then scramble help immediately from any location and service, including the military.

Think about it, I'm have been amazed for years how especially, prospectors the majority of whom venture out in the field with little or no training or equipment. Honestly ask yourself who many of you even carry a topo map and a compass for the area your going? know how to do a resection in the field? carry an emergency signalling device, mirror, flares, smoke? Never mind the high tech stuff like PLB's, sat phones and gps units. Any inn addition, know truly how to use them.

So I say if it takes legislation to make people be safe, then so be it.

axeman said:
A spot tracker, epirb or gps would be good but what ever happened to the good old paper map and compass and the knowledge on how to use them?. Of course If your injured a paper map ain't going to help. In remote areas a sat phone would be good idea. Remember about 12 months ago a power line worker in north Queensland got separated from his workmate and by the time they found him (which wasn't long) he was dead from a tiapan bite, maybe a epirb or spot tracker may have saved him?. I thought about a timer controlled epirb or spot tracker type device fitted to your vehicle which would go off if you didn't get back on time.
:) Mick

An Epirb probably wouldn't help much if biten by a Tiapan in a remote area. A good knowledge of first aid and appropriate restrictive bandages would give you a better chance.

By the time you set off your Epirb and Canberra picks it up, redirects the emergency response, and gets local police or rescue services to you, is far from instantaneous.

Timer controlled GPS will get you into big trouble as being late back will send Canberra a false alarm, and emergency services won't take false alarms kindly. Epirbs should be set off only in "EXTREME" emergency situations.

Cheers Wal.

I agree wal, I first aid kit where ever you go, absolutely, know how to use it a must. But even if you apply a torno or a pressure bandage to a bite, you still need to restrict movement and get help, so alarming a PLB would certainly be of great assistance.

Personally I carry one, and also a 24 MRE amongst a host of other stuff.

Village said:
There are a few others out there,, but really just toys. Spot trackers etc don't send a signal with your location to a 24 hour, 365 days a year manned emergency centre, who can then scramble help immediately from any location and service, including the military.
I guess I mainly use my Spot unit to keep my wife at ease when I'm away. However if need in an emergency it will send your location to an international monitored station, who will notify local authorities.

http://findmespot.net.au/911.html

The spot unit does have limitations though. It needs a reasonably clear view of satellites. So under a heavy tree canopy or heavy cloud it may not penetrate. I guess another draw back is the annual cost for the services. However it is weather proof and rugged. Another advantage is that it will send your last known location if you have the tracking service activated. Handy if for some reason you cannot activate your ELB when needed.

Not meant as a replacement for an epirb, but it does suit my requirements and could be an alternative for others. To each their own.

Just a question. Do PLB require a clear view of satellites to operate successfully? May even purchase one and keep in the 4WD along side the first aid kit.

Cheers,

Cliff

Coyote said:
Village said:
There are a few others out there,, but really just toys. Spot trackers etc don't send a signal with your location to a 24 hour, 365 days a year manned emergency centre, who can then scramble help immediately from any location and service, including the military.
I guess I mainly use my Spot unit to keep my wife at ease when I'm away. However if need in an emergency it will send your location to an international monitored station, who will notify local authorities.

http://findmespot.net.au/911.html

The spot unit does have limitations though. It needs a reasonably clear view of satellites. So under a heavy tree canopy or heavy cloud it may not penetrate. I guess another draw back is the annual cost for the services. However it is weather proof and rugged. Another advantage is that it will send your last known location if you have the tracking service activated. Handy if for some reason you cannot activate your ELB when needed.

Not meant as a replacement for an epirb, but it does suit my requirements and could be an alternative for others. To each their own.

Just a question. Do PLB require a clear view of satellites to operate successfully? May even purchase one and keep in the 4WD along side the first aid kit.

Cheers,

Cliff

G day Cliff

Any satellite device needs to be able to see the sky, trees no issue, clouds no issue, but don't take in a drive or shaft. Any sat devices really only needs two octa's of the sky to successful make connection. Thats is 1/4 of the entire sky not blocked by hard objects. Take a look at the GME 410G which is arguably the best PLB on the market, Aust compliant, sends direct to AMSA(Australian Maritime Safety Authority) Between $300 to $500 on where you buy them. About the size of two packets of smokes and comes with a belt carrier.

Good Luck, and the right time of year, Jan sales you might save a bit.

Knowledge is the key here, both regarding navigation and safety/survival. Whilst technology is great, when things don't work as they should, your situation will become desperate - you will have no sense of direction after relying on the GPS to direct every step, and panic will set in. A good knowledge in basic navigation using maps, compass and protractor and basic survival skills can proved invaluable should your GPS fail to work for whatever reason. Yes there are limitations with regards to landmarks in some areas, but it is good to be grounded in the basics, and be able to do things like triangulate your position on a map.

Needless to say, a Senior First Aid certificate should be mandatory for anyone venturing into the field, there are also survival courses available for those venturing deep into the outback, many valuable lessons can be learnt from completing such courses. Survival courses will take you right out of your comfort zone and will make you experience what it is really like when equipment fails pretty much on every level, and having to rely just on the basics to get by, rather than wander around aimlessly in a panic.

Close to town, I always carry a first aid kit/handheld UHF on my person and in my car, along with a separate snake bite kit that is easily accessible. I also carry a survival kit if going into remote areas, more piece of mind than a GPS with flat batteries.

I learnt all my valuable lessons through working in some of the most remote parts of Australia, often on foot or driving in areas with no known tracks, not to soley rely on technology. Our vehicles carried signal mirrors, smoke and signal flares, comprehensive survival and first aid kits, EPIRBS, constant satellite tracking of the vehicle, UHF's, HF and Satellite phones. Many layers of backup, but things can and will go wrong, and it is nice to have other options available to you.

Whilst GPS units and EPIRBS are invaluable additions to your kit, I still believe there is more to be learnt than just relying on these electronics to save your life. Having the proper knowledge can psychologically and realistically improve your chances of making it through a dire situation, such as a vehicle burning to the ground with all gear on board! :)

WalnLiz said:
Epirbs are a great investment if you venture into extremely remote regions like the WA gold fields or remote Central QLD. Always have mine with the vehicle when over there.

Buy an EPIRB for sure if you're constantly in serious terrain, but a GPS (or 2 ) and the knowledge to use it properly will save your bacon more often than an EPIRB.

Cheers Wal.

whats opinions on snakebite response ?

If i am close to my vehicle and close to other people / farms / hospital then i will do a compression bandage , walk to the vehicle then drive to meet an ambulance if close enough

but if i am many miles away from my vehicle and more than an hours drive to get back to human contact then am i not better off just hitting the Epirb button , bandage up the limb concerned and lie down in a cool place to slow down my metabolism until assistance arrives ?

If you have an hour or two of exertion before getting help then that increase in metabolism might be enough to kill you

My understanding is that you might survive 5 - 7 hours without medical intervention after a brown snake or Death Adder bite , any longer than that and you have slim survival prospects

I am going to email SES or rescue squads to ask their opinion on the above.

I have a spot locator, it is a great item as it works through satellites.

The only downside is that a subscription is required, cost me $265 this year, I am happy to pay it to have the ability to be rescued from any place I dare to go.

I also have a spare spot for sale if anyone is interested.

Cheers

richard70au said:
I have a spot locator, it is a great item as it works through satellites.

The only downside is that a subscription is required, cost me $265 this year, I am happy to pay it to have the ability to be rescued from any place I dare to go.

I also have a spare spot for sale if anyone is interested.

Cheers

i did read up on them , one youtube video suggested that most Epirb signals will get picked up straight away , where the Spot type can be up to 20 - 40 minutes before their satellites pass overhead , and the signals from them have poorer transmission strength in some locations

i do like the text messaging option though , if someone gets your text that says " brown snake bite on my neck at 11.15 am , location 35.1567654 , 150.64536281 on hilltop near yellow tree trunk"

that information is a hell of a lot more useful than " beep beep beep "

Latest posts