Gold Locations Kilmore

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
i live in kilmore and am looking for some prospecting locations. Where are some good local locations that i can use my metal detector and gold pan. I am getting my first metal detector tomorrow. Even if you dont tell me where but what to look for with the locations eg certain rock formations ect
Thanks for your help

Welcome Misty, loads of information here, maybe attend one of the Prospecting clubs to get an idea and practical help.
Use the search button when you have had 10 posts. Opens up much more of the prospecting Australia site.

1533536972_search.jpg

These clubs are great to point you in the right direction as well as locations.

We have lots of catch ups in the GT and you would be welcome to tag along.
Keep track of the forum for more information.

Also some of the John Tully maps will go along way in identifying ground that has produced and still producing ground.
http://www.minersden.com.au/maps-guides-books/john-tully-maps

Plus

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/visit/popular-activities/fossicking
https://guides.slv.vic.gov.au/gold/places

Good luck HH

#Misty1997 said:
Hey guys,
I am getting my first metal detector tomorrow. Even if you dont tell me where but what to look for with the locations eg certain rock formations ect
Thanks for your help

Hi Misty,
What type of detector are you getting, what made you decide to take it up?

Not sure about the Kilmore area but probably more suited to panning/sluicing but I could be wrong.
Start by using Google to search on gold mining history around Kilmore.

Good luck,
Cheers T.

im looking at buying a secondhand garret at pro international for $550. my family owns a farm and yesterday i found a few specs of gold. So now i think i have caught gold fever lol. im just looking to find other places besides my farm to go to that local. Thanks for your help guys.

Hi Misty, not sure about the Garrett as the way to go. May be really good on coins etc. but gold may struggle.
Others may have an opinion on this but I think I would look around for something else. Phase technical (Nenad is a member on this forum) may offer some advice.

Cheers

My son has that garrett and it sucks at finding gold - although that could be just me and my son suck.

If I lived in Kilmore and there was no gold on my farm , I would probably head to heathcote to do some prospecting

#Misty1997 said:
im looking at buying a secondhand garret at pro international for $550. my family owns a farm and yesterday i found a few specs of gold. So now i think i have caught gold fever lol. im just looking to find other places besides my farm to go to that local. Thanks for your help guys.

If you're just looking for coins, jewellery and relics, the AT Pro International is a great detector for that price - I've found plenty of those things with mine. But it's no detector for natural gold and isn't intended to be. You'll need to spend around 50% more to get a high frequency detector that's capable of finding small nuggets and coping with ground mineralisation.

moeee said:
My son has that garrett and it sucks at finding gold - although that could be just me and my son suck.

If I lived in Kilmore and there was no gold on my farm , I would probably head to heathcote to do some prospecting

Nope, it's not you. The AT Pro was my first detector and it's not flash at all on gold. I still have it, my offsider swings it coin shooting

Edit

Bloke saw us one day coin shooting, long story short he brought out some nuggets he had. A bit smaller than a chook egg and solid. The AT "saw" one of them at just over an inch

G'day Misty1997 welcome to PA, I live close to Kilmore and can tell you north is the place to head. Try Heathcote, Graytown and Rushworth as good areas that are local to you I've found gold in all these locations and the good thing is it's an easy drive giving you more time on the ground. If your just starting out take your time and pay attention to the mullock heaps some days are better than others and some days you just have to content with being in the bush :Y:. Once you have 10 post's the members section will open up for you and you'll be able to join in the meet ups there good fun and informative. Hopefully we'll be able to organise a catch up on the Gold.

If the gold is big enough or shallow enough the ATpro probably will find it.

Test it with some led sinkers. If you do find something remember where and
go back with a better detector later. Might be deeper bits.

The largest nugget of gold found with a metal detector was found with something
as basic as a Garrett ACE detector. Mind you it was like 30kg and 6 inchs down...:)

Can only wish.

But if your farm is big enough or positioned just right and has never seen a metal detector
then if you have gold there in the gullies streams etc then up the gullies you
might just find something....be fun either way.

IF you have quartz here or there or concentrated on the surface or on the side
of a gully or river bank etc then you could be in for a eureka moment.

Latest posts