Gold & Ghosts lost patch?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightjar

Contributor Plus
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first edition of the WA Gold & Ghosts mentioned a rich find while carting water from Marshalls Pool to Wilson's Patch.
We have made more than one attempt to stumble onto it with out success.
Anyone like to try using an old map we used?
Click on link below will reveal full map.

View attachment Marshall Pool Track Cons_4899_Item_23M-1.jpg

Lostgold.jpg

Attachments

• Marshall Pool Track Cons_4899_Item_23M-1.jpg
    18 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Marshall pool - 244m, AN 59 - 258m, my first question is are these elevations?

That old map is pre-metric (the property block sizes are shown as "ac" = acres), so I'd assume 244m = 244 miles from somewhere.
I see, well that gives some perspective on distance at least.
I'm thinking about the words 'carting water' and that makes me wonder what the elevations are along the tracks.
From experience 'carting water' in and carting dirt out, going the easy way that's clear and easy to walk but changes elevation is harder than the rough 'no track' path to maintain an even elevation of travel...

What's the grade and differences in elevation between AN 59, the track intersection south of AN 160, and Wilson's patch ? Assuming that it the final destination?

What's the grade and differences in elevation between AN 59, the track intersection south of AN 160, and Wilson's patch ? Assuming that it the final destination?
You'll need to convert from todays maps. Yes we searched an easier track because them a few big creeks they would have had to cross with loaded water wagon.

The "AN" numbers are survey marks, the distances shown on the properties are in chains. Using those "AN" numbers and the map date you could contact " Lands and Surveys" or the records office in Barrack street Perth and possibly get some Co Ords for those points. I have personally used old survey books from 1906 and found original makes when I was still working so the info would be available but just might have to have it " searched" for you.

I guess I could slip out after lunch and do a search ;) I might just have to do a little research first.....

Peter, if you ever feel the need to get rid of that old map I'm sure Mrs M would love to mount it in the Cue Heritage Centre. Phil

That "From Cue" is a bit misleading? The map appears to be in the Lienster area.

That "From Cue" is a bit misleading? The map appears to be in the Lienster area.
Phil, Cue is 244 miles away to the NW via the only track available back then.
Wilson's Patch was and still is there but obviously no Leinster or Goldfields Hwy.
Marshall's Pool has never dried up since we first visited in 1990.

Last edited:
A matter of interest. Chandlers Reward NNW of Wilson,s we found a cave that someone had made home, there were still pegs in the wall where they probably hung their coats after a hard days work. Old diggings just below. Try as we may we did not find any AU or relics other than the usual rusty tins.
MB (Phil, if need be Mrs MB could print the map and hang?)

A matter of interest. Chandlers Reward NNW of Wilson,s we found a cave that someone had made home, there were still pegs in the wall where they probably hung their coats after a hard days work. Old diggings just below. Try as we may we did not find any AU or relics other than the usual rusty tins.
MB (Phil, if need be Mrs MB could print the map and hang?)

I ask her when she's home. Somebody might have a plotter that can reproduce it in a decent size. I haven't heard from her for a couple of days. She went in for an operation and got struck by the nurses strike. She knew it was coming but she's been in Perth for about six weeks now with the surgery being postponed. She didn't want to have it put off again so took the risk. I have no idea of the outcome and I don't want to risk disturbing her with a phone call.

I overlayed that old map onto Google Earth and it's a little bit fuzzy in its accuracy. Some of the mountains line up but others are out of whack. The hill or mount named "Tabletop" is in the order of 70 miles from where it is on the map. 70 miles equates to about 60 nautical miles which is one degree so perhaps someone miss read a number.

Latest posts