Gold Filled Jewelry - What value does it really have?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the title suggests, what value if any is there in gold filled jewelry?
I understand how its made and how it differs from gold plated, what im trying to work out is what is the true gold content as opposed to solid jewelry or bullion and how is its scrap value determined?
Cheers, TGW.

Hi TGW
Put it this way if you had 1 oz of 14kt Gf it would have 1/20th of 14kt metal attached which would be 1.55grams 14kt

Then multiply by 0.5833 which will give you the amount pure gold which 0.907 grams per oz of Gf

I hope this helps
Thedigger

Ah ok so by the dead weight you can work out the value of the recoverable pure gold assuming that the carat markings are accurate.
To check the true carat value would require an acid test right?

im a pawnbroker, when i have it come into my shop i wont buy/loan on gold filled or plated items, the value in it just isnt there to make it worth while

Thanks for that example thedigger, that helps alot.
Interesting point too jamie, after some more research I can see that gold filled items made here in oz have to be a minimum 1/20th of their weight gold but neglects to mention that the pure value of the gold is relative to the carat value of the gold alloy used. So a 200g piece made of 9ct gold filled will have much less pure gold in it as opposed to an 18ct piece of the same weight. There is also little reference to gold filled items made overseas and imported to australia.
As you pointed out too it is too difficult for a pawnbroker such as yourself to accurately determine the true value of a gold filled piece without a knowledge of whether the gold used is as its carat marks say or where it was manufactured.
Which would mean gold filled items are a good way to have gold looking jewelry at a cheaper price but without a professional assay report would be just what they are; jewelry.
Or im just over thinking this... :D

A goldmark cattledog is advertising 9ct gold silver filled jewellery - add that one to the equation

Latest posts