Goannas Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all,
I saw some goannas in the bealiba forest on the weekend. Haven't seen any in victoria since I was a kid. There was atleast 3 of them in a small area, does anyone know if they live in groups? I found this strange don't think a male would let another male hang around for long.

1415607558_image.jpg

We got very close to this little one but watch the larger ones as they run at you'
I have not seen many for a few years but they are about this year.

lol i was in Dunolly a few days ago detecting head down and noticed some bark falling to the ground in front of me.

I looked up in time stop myself fron headbutting a tree then looked up just past eye level and there was bloody big Goanna looking right at me.
Scared the crap out of me lol.

Awesome looking animal though he was a big dark grey almost black with white/cream lines of dashs all over him.
Then i looked higher up and saw a smaller what i assume was a female.

He looked like this one.

work.6524369.1.flat,550x550,075,f.another-goanna-in-tree-bombah-point-nsw-2.jpg

We were at Glenlyon Dam about this time last year and spotted one like yours approx. 6-8 ft nose to tail slowly, very slowly working it's way up a large gum tree next to our BBQ.
Fantastic animals. Great lake area as well.
Jaros :p

Samejsuzie said:
G'day all,
I saw some goannas in the bealiba forest on the weekend. Haven't seen any in victoria since I was a kid. There was atleast 3 of them in a small area, does anyone know if they live in groups? I found this strange don't think a male would let another male hang around for long.

Hey Samejsuzie,

Most Goanna are solitary. However, they can be found in groups when the food source is concentrated or the males are fighting amongst themselves during breeding.

Is a good indicator of a healthy forest ;)

Nice observation :cool:

Latest posts