Ghost towns...... Ravenswood Qld

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HeadsUp said:
how close is the nearest water to the old creek beds ?

my little highbanker pump is only 2.5 horseys but will pump to 60 - 100 metres

or can you use an auger to get down a couple of metres to the water table ?

do some test panning first though , it might lead you to better spots that do have water

keep away from those crocs mate :|

there are some creeks with water in them like elphinestone creek and they all seem to lead to the burdekin river, probably where there are crocs.... im in no hurry would like to detect the old ghost towns outside of ravenswood first and look for coin and relics, will go over the mullock heaps too. as for panning im not geared up for that yet but if yourcoming through one day i can take out there and show you some spots :)

thesmithy said:
I spent a week in Ravenswood in 1971 that was 42 years ago
Did not find a freckle of gold there in 6 days.
Only run into one old prosecutor in that time.......he was just passing through on his way home had 2 camels and a pack horse.
He never told us where home was though.

The stamping head was still there then.
The whole area is pretty well sterile ground all worked tailings.
The Chinese pretty well made sure of that......it is just all tailings now.
Mid summer unbearable heat no water and prickly pear everywhere
Mullock heaps, they were every where around the stampers.

Also spent a week at the Burdekin falls on the Burdekin river at the same time.
There was a mining outfit there.......when they abandoned it they just removed the motors from all the machinery......dredges/dozers/loader etc. Was all rusty so had been there a long time
Panned about an ounce in the 7 days between 4 of us........split 4 ways it worked out at around nothing each after fuel to get there.
In the middle of nowhere bar non.......we travelled there via the western side of the Liverpool ranges from Collinsville overland. 1 landcruiser and 3 bikes.
There were no known tracks or a GPS just a compass and maps and an old Aboriginal stockman.
Was a memorable 20 days all up.
Would i do it again......in a heart beat.
Is there still gold there who knows.......it's so dry and dusty in summer the crows fly backwards.
Eck the old Stockman said in his broken English that they just left or die from silver poison (mercury poisoning i assumed) as i was all of 17 at the time the town history wasn't an issue i never bothered to checked.
Just a short story........hope you enjoyed.
Cheers
TheSmithy

Great story! thank you, you described it very well :) its a great place to visit and look around as there is so much old equipment in the town now set up for tourists to explore. its probably changed a bit since you were last there, some of the old buildings have been restored, still got two pubs too and a shop...lol thats it
Your right about the prickly pear, bloody everywhere... im not looking to do much in Ravenswood except camp and have a few beers... its the little ghost towns that have turned to dust and havnt seen a soul in awhile im looking at. hope im on the right track. would really like to find coins and the like.

Latest posts