Georeferenced PDF maps (from Geovic or elsewhere)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi laney- looking fwd to those new layers for sure!

does the iPad interface allow for field use showing your location on the map? Suspect this would be problematic for actual use in the field though as most prospecting areas have limited mobile coverage.

A great improvement for geovic would be to have the ability to export georeferenced images directly (PDFs or tiffs for example) so the process I've explained above using multiple software packages would be negated.

Another would be the ability to put grids on the export pdf in digital lat long as an alternative to the current gda and mga.

And how about a geovic app with all of the above?

Better yet - something which tells us where to find gold instead of rusty nails?? ? Or am i getting greedy.

Cheers

Fever

Hi Fever,
For the ipad, it does have the ability to show your current location on the map. It just doesn't do it by default.

For the images, we used to have the ability to export geo-referenced images directly, however we found we were breaking the terms of our Aerial Imagery license, so we had to remove it. In the current print options, you can currently add "Geographic GDA94" "ticks" rather than lines. Are you saying that you would like a "line" option added?
You could also take a look at a specific layer in "Map Indexes and Grids", "GDA94 Datum Grids" called "GDA94 Lat/Long Graticule"

Many years go, we used to laugh about putting in the "Undiscovered Gold" layer. We can all dream!

I think it would also be good to look at a standard "theme" for prospecting. Ie: You turn the theme on and it adds most of the layers that prospectors would like , into the left hand menu (or table of contents).

cheers

Laney

Laney said:
Hi Fever,
For the ipad, it does have the ability to show your current location on the map. It just doesn't do it by default.

For the images, we used to have the ability to export geo-referenced images directly, however we found we were breaking the terms of our Aerial Imagery license, so we had to remove it. In the current print options, you can currently add "Geographic GDA94" "ticks" rather than lines. Are you saying that you would like a "line" option added?
You could also take a look at a specific layer in "Map Indexes and Grids", "GDA94 Datum Grids" called "GDA94 Lat/Long Graticule"

Many years go, we used to laugh about putting in the "Undiscovered Gold" layer. We can all dream!

I think it would also be good to look at a standard "theme" for prospecting. Ie: You turn the theme on and it adds most of the layers that prospectors would like , into the left hand menu (or table of contents).

cheers

Laney

Wow - I'm dashing to dust off the iPad :D and I'd like to see a standard "theme" for prospecting....

casper

Hi laney- was referring to a grid lat long in decimal format (i said digital by mistake above), rather than deg min sec format currently in the output. Ticks work best for me.

I thought there already was a theme for prospecting or mining but happy for it to be added if not.

When you say location on iPad is not default - how is this activated?

Fever.

Australianminesatlas. Create a map. Zoom to area, add roads,rivers,population centres,reserves. Click on gold occurences in mineral occurences. Print, then print google satellite map for overlay/comparison. No apps or i-phones needed. Shove the 2 bits of paper in your backpack. As long as you can read a map and have some basic orienteering skills you're set. I have(2) Magellan GPSs'. One with topographics, the other for a backup. But I don't use them to tell me where to go, just where I've been.
A lot of people, my Dad included, use their car gps to get places. It makes you dumb. To get from Queanbeyan back west it took us through the cbd of Canberra. Short, but bloody slow.
When all this wonderful technology goes kaput, people will be so dumbed-down they won't be able to find the front door.
Nothing will ever beat bush skill and spatial awareness. :eek:

Hi Fever,
we had thought a degree minutes second grid would be more useful for most people..... I'll have to rethink it, but would be happier if more people want decimal degrees.

There is a mining activity "theme", but not a prospecting one.... probably quite similar, although a prospecting one could add some image layers....

For the Ipad, my recollection is that on a tablet device, you get an extra red dot icon which has 2 modes of operation, both are to control the display of the current location.

regards

Rob

Laney said:
Hi,
I am the manager of the GeoVic system.
If you have any constructive suggestions for improvement , please let me know.
We are in the process of adding 5 deep lead maps into the system as background maps.
Also, are you aware that GeoVic has been set up to work on an Ipad (with reduced functionality)

regards

Rob

Hi Laney,

I've been a long time user of GeoVic 2 and have found the transition to GeoVic 3 confusing and the theme choices frustrating and limiting. As a fossicker I'd like to be able to simply choose "land status and boundaries" and build from there depending on my particular focus at that time.

casper

Tim said:
Australianminesatlas. Create a map. Zoom to area, add roads,rivers,population centres,reserves. Click on gold occurences in mineral occurences. Print, then print google satellite map for overlay/comparison. No apps or i-phones needed. Shove the 2 bits of paper in your backpack. As long as you can read a map and have some basic orienteering skills you're set. I have(2) Magellan GPSs'. One with topographics, the other for a backup. But I don't use them to tell me where to go, just where I've been.
A lot of people, my Dad included, use their car gps to get places. It makes you dumb. To get from Queanbeyan back west it took us through the cbd of Canberra. Short, but bloody slow.
When all this wonderful technology goes kaput, people will be so dumbed-down they won't be able to find the front door.

Bit of generalization there Tim most of us know how to read a map, print a map and find our way in the bush. This is a discussion about advanced geology gps and mapping data layers, hardly an idiots guide how to forget how to use a map.

Applying exact crown land borders, mining leases and el data for realtoke in the field is invaluable to a mapping program. You can hardly print and carry every arar with you 24/7 whereas having these geovic layers exported to memory maps will do exactly that. Great functionality alot of us have been asking for for a long time.

casper said:
Laney said:
Hi,
I am the manager of the GeoVic system.
If you have any constructive suggestions for improvement , please let me know.
We are in the process of adding 5 deep lead maps into the system as background maps.
Also, are you aware that GeoVic has been set up to work on an Ipad (with reduced functionality)

regards

Rob

Hi Laney,

I've been a long time user of GeoVic 2 and have found the transition to GeoVic 3 confusing and the theme choices frustrating and limiting. As a fossicker I'd like to be able to simply choose "land status and boundaries" and build from there depending on my particular focus at that time.

casper

Me too mate took me a while to find my old features in geovic3 but i have to say when i did put in a few hours i found it to be extremely simple to apply what i wanted. The features are all still there and the page doesn't time out like geovic 2 did when you take a phone call

G0lddigg@ said:
Tim said:

Bit of generalization there Tim most of us know how to read a map, print a map and find our way in the bush. This is a discussion about advanced geology gps and mapping data layers, hardly an idiots guide how to forget how to use a map.

Applying exact crown land borders, mining leases and el data for realtoke in the field is invaluable to a mapping program. You can hardly print and carry every arar with you 24/7 whereas having these geovic layers exported to memory maps will do exactly that. Great functionality alot of us have been asking for for a long time.

I stand by the last 2 lines Golddigg. Too much reliance on technology is a bad thing. It's one thing to have tools and another to be a slave to them.
As for carrying every map in your backpack, well you can only be in one place at one time. I print off everything, as the one time you need the interweb, Murphys Law says your smart machine will inevitably be on the blink. Cheers.

I agree mate too much reliance will make you dumb. But thats not what we are talking about is it, we are talking about having amazing real time relevant information at your fingertips. Heck you could argue that your printer will fail and there goes your way too.

Dont fight it Tim :) embrace technology in the field lol

Does anyone get this problem - I have had this issue for the past couple of weeks and just can't get on.
Same message regardless of which service I select...using Chrome or Safari.

Http/1.1 Service Unavailable

jwal said:
Does anyone get this problem - I have had this issue for the past couple of weeks and just can't get on.
Same message regardless of which service I select...using Chrome or Safari.

Http/1.1 Service Unavailable

The site is constantly down for updates. If you login just before an update a little message pops up to let you know.
Hope its not permanent. Cannot log in either got same Http/1.1 message too

Latest posts