Gems on display

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll have some stones on display/sale at Chelsea lane gallery ,3/48 old barrenjoey rd Avalon/sydney . On the 8th August . My sister will also have jewellery and Katika will have artwork . Looks like a lot of booze handouts too:) if your local , could be a nice night:)

Might have to check it out if I can get there, my mate Cristo owns Nextdoor Bar and Dining in Avalon so can kill two birds with one "gem" stone! :lol: :lol:

Lefty said:
You gonna post some piccies Barney?
Here's one for you lefty:)
1439449325_image.jpg
the dust and static this time of year sucks , clean something then it sticks back on . Was impossible to keep them clean on mirrors . Got some orders though:)

Kingsoloman I don't think that I have ever seen anything so beautiful except my wife.
That is stunning.
Congratulations and hope the orders keep coming.
Regards
Mackka

Humm Blue Topaz... heated... Are you sure?

Just be careful (I don't want to scare you, but)
"Swiss" blue topaz are treated in a nuclear reactor... but they shouldn't be radioactive... they say (I still would like to check with a geiger counter).

"Due to residual radioactivity, the irradiated topaz must be held in a secure facility for a specified period of time before it can be released for heating, cutting and polishing. The time varies from a few weeks for topaz irradiated in a linear accelerator to a few years for topaz irradiated in a nuclear reactor. There are very strict rules in place to protect not only consumers but also the cutters and gem dealers who handle these gems on a daily basis."

Not to worry Gallic, many times a lapidarist will take a slightly flawed or pale coloured gem and heat it carefully to a certain degree. This can remove surface impurities as well as enhance the overall colour of the stone, I dont think Kingsolomon is suggesting he would try and perform a colour change by irradiation at home.
It would be far safer and economic to send the stones away to be changed in a laboratory.
Beautiful stone btw Kingsolomon, true craftmanship.

I understand King is not irradiating at home (that would be so cool to have a nuclear reactor or particle accelerator at home isn't it?).

I am just pointing that most (all?) of the deep/electric blue topaz have been irradiated, and I think it is a gem I wouldn't wear as pendant constantly without having it tested first.

But I think I am just paranoid.

GallicProspector is understandably cautious when it comes to buying, wearing or even cutting irradiated Topaz.

A warning was issued a couple of years ago by the GIA to its members warning them of the dangers of irradiated topaz originating from Africa which hadn't been held for long enough following its treatment.

Kingsolomon said:
Since I've cut about a dozen blue in last couple of months I thought I'd do a test . I asked my girlfriend to turn off the lights to see if I had a healthy green glow . Unfortunately no result :(

You need to drink more of this Barney, it gives me a green glow.

1439589026_image.jpg

That is a nice rock mate. :D
Absolutely stunning. :eek:
May I ask if you wish, What is a rough estimate on what that would be worth. ?
If you do not want to say so. All Good.
Curiosity has got the better of me. LOL

Still working out pricing . It's eight carat , so if it was a native cut stone maybe $30 a carat , wholesale , but since I put about 120 facets on it , and cut properly . I think it's worth more . Guess we will see:)the gem rough cost a about $100 . Not a quick stone to cut .

Thanks for that. :) :)
Whichever way it goes it would be worth every cent in my books. :)
Well Done.

Latest posts