Gday from Mid North SA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been a while since I chased after the gold in WA in the early ninties. Just got a gold monster and have been trying a few private properties in the Adelaide hills and in the mid north where i live with a bit of small pieces found. Just wondering if there are any places around the Napperby SA area and Mid North that would be worth having a try. Quite astounded on what i have read about people taking numbers of cars and forwarding them on to the police for driving down a public road. What I am talking about isn't anything to do about the conflict of interest where a mining ministers son bought a property up here in the mid north ;) . Also has anyone been petitioning the government to open up the national parks in this state?

HI hillsgold, i was looking for similar info on the mid north and got the bums rush, think there is a protection racket in action. :lol: :lol: :lol:

vandemon said:
HI hillsgold, i was looking for similar info on the mid north and got the bums rush, think there is a protection racket in action. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Definately something going on, maybe they are getting kickbacks for every numberplate :money: :playful: :goldnugget: ;) Been on the sarig map lately, w.a. companies are locking up all the area from augusta to the brook. makes it hard to go anywhere as a fossicker in this area. what government department do I need to hound to get the parks opened? Now that the pine forest in the hills near me that got burnt out should be opened up as its not a pine forest anymore and the soil looks like it should produce not just for gold but gems as well

hillsgold said:
vandemon said:

Definately something going on, maybe they are getting kickbacks for every numberplate :money: :playful: :goldnugget: ;) Been on the sarig map lately, w.a. companies are locking up all the area from augusta to the brook. makes it hard to go anywhere as a fossicker in this area. what government department do I need to hound to get the parks opened? Now that the pine forest in the hills near me that got burnt out should be opened up as its not a pine forest anymore and the soil looks like it should produce not just for gold but gems as well
Hi hillsgold, i was warned off uloolo when i made an inquiry about access, seems like the apple did't fall from the tree ;) an enduring conflict of interest with local stooges in on the fix.

vandemon said:
hillsgold said:
vandemon said:

Hi hillsgold, i was warned off uloolo when i made an inquiry about access, seems like the apple did't fall from the tree ;) an enduring conflict of interest with local stooges in on the fix.
You will never ever get on any properties out that way. Blame all the d...heads that left unfilled holes all over the place. People taking number plates of cars parked in bush is 100% a real thing unfortunately. Mongolata area is exactly the same too. Only areas are the 3 public areas in the Adelaide hills.

hillsgold said:
Been a while since I chased after the gold in WA in the early ninties. Just got a gold monster and have been trying a few private properties in the Adelaide hills and in the mid north where i live with a bit of small pieces found. Just wondering if there are any places around the Napperby SA area and Mid North that would be worth having a try. Quite astounded on what i have read about people taking numbers of cars and forwarding them on to the police for driving down a public road. What I am talking about isn't anything to do about the conflict of interest where a mining ministers son bought a property up here in the mid north ;) . Also has anyone been petitioning the government to open up the national parks in this state?
The person you are reffering to retired from the mines dept over 15 years ago, he was just the mines inspector for mid north, very nice and helpfull guy Mr Talbot was. No law against his son buying or leasing anything out there, just the same as you can buy or lease if you have the funds. Good luck anyway.

Hey pinfire opals, there is no law against inside knowledge, is there? ;) i have just got access to many properties as I worked with or for many farmers in the district which includes an abandonded silver mine. Also shouldn't historic digging sites be kept public access like at echunga instead of being wrapped up in private interests. I am with you in that if you dig a hole you should fill it back in, looks like they took the dirt with them at Ulooloo, but the public area thats there I should be able to go there without being harrassed and treated like a thief

Problem is people camp there then jump the fence at night, I know Mal chased 2 x fwits through the bush in his old suzuki a few yrs back. Yes dirt was removed by the dhead overtons in the 90s they destroyed the main diggings. I dont agree about free access to all if you buy or lease a property for 99 yrs you should be able to do with it as you wish. No different to having people just walk in and start camping in your back yard. All land holders did give access out there 25 yrs ago. You cant blame them in my opinion. The Barossa goldfield is no different either, locked out.

Pinfire i'm not bagging the owners lease, i'm pissed off that our government didn't have the foresight to turn some of these historical diggings into an area that all can use like echunga. We don't have much in this state to go fossicking to and with covid screwing things up having heritage or national parks to go to would also help the economy. I used to work at a national park in the adelaide hills in the 80's and they were going to let people fossick there but couldn't get the department to go ahead with it due to oh&s. The park even had historical mining/diggings in it. Has anyone on this site set up a petition that the users could sign electronically to put some pressure on the right department to open up the national parks/forestry in sa for fossicking like it is in NSW and VIC?. i'd pay an annual miners right in a heartbeat if access was granted and this money could be used for maintenance of infrastucture in the parks. As a national forum this site should have a bit of clout when approaching them with a large signed petition, IMO
Not all of us are going to jump a fence at night, I'm too old and arthritic for that, I'd say that the majority of all fossickers do the right thing its the 1% that stuff it up for the rest of us.
Also as a national forum wouldn't there be someone out there that could approach a large farm property in SA on behalf of fossickers registered on this site to do weekend outings that could be managed so no litter or holes are left.
Speaking about fwits we've had 2 blokes only last week get chased off a local farmers property where they set up a sluice tapping into the main water pipeline and digging out the creek in his property. They got moved on at gunpoint.

Thats another reason as well all the open holes left from the bye gone era, makes land holders liable if someone falls down one. I have to have my own public liability to even step on there the last 15 yrs. Fossickers have no rites and never will have here. Prospectors on the other hand have plenty of rites. Soon as you start letting people on for one day they take it as they can come and go as they wish. I know of one holder tried this in the late 90s let some fossicking club on there, then next weekend they were back with twice as many people. Moving people on at gun point is a bit over the top :lol:

Edit:Aren't crossbows illegal in S.A.
Jaros

A local farmer who recently gave me permission to fossick on his property, he used to allow shooters on but they abused that by turning up with 3 car loads all towing camper vans and got on the piss all weekend and shot the place up. SA has draconian laws re fossicking due to the feral behavior of a large part of the populace and the reputation that SA has earned around the country is not unfounded.About 25 years ago i was in a bar in Bangkok with a mate when this dutch guy comes over and says 'hey are you guys from Adelaide' :drooling: :awful: :lol: Avoca beckons.

Latest posts