North Qld Gold Prospecting trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Members,
Have recently shifted to Cedar Vale (Beaudesert Area) A mate and I are planning a trip end of May to Far North in May to maybe August. We have experience as far as detecting and both have 6000's
Will obviously do a fair bit of research, never been to the top end, however thought we would put it to the forum's knowledge base with any guide to the best areas to go to or not to go to, the best time of the year to travel that way, would there be too much foliage/grass etc, best properties to try where we could get into with caravans, best GPA's to try.
Appreciate any advice and help here! rgds Chris

Mate, you have Western Creek and Dell's hole etc over in the West.
Without doubt the hot topic atm is Palmerville gold at Cannibal creek.

A lot of ground to cover, but the yella stuff is there!

Mate, you have Western Creek and Dell's hole etc over in the West.
Without doubt the hot topic atm is Palmerville gold at Cannibal creek.

A lot of ground to cover, but the yella stuff is there!
Thank you for your reply Simmo, we have given Palmerville a lot of thought, also think it may be out of our budget with the round trip cost, Season Ticket, roundabout figure $5/6 K would have to find a lot of gold to contribute to the cost, experience would be great, but at 74 and a few old injuries, fall short of being out there with the coil on the ground long enough, believe it is pretty steep and rough as, any more info on the latter would be good!

Yeah mate, it is pretty rugged ground for sure.
We were there in October and could only go out for a few hours a day because it was so hot.

Yeah mate, it is pretty rugged ground for sure.
We were there in October and could only go out for a few hours a day because it was so hot.
Are June July August good times to be up in the North, we intended to head off end of May ....every thing going to plan!, can you throw any light on how the grasses will be as far as getting a coil on the ground aroung the northern goldfields, which is a major problem down this way as well as the wet we are experiencing!

Are June July August good times to be up in the North, we intended to head off end of May ....every thing going to plan!, can you throw any light on how the grasses will be as far as getting a coil on the ground aroung the northern goldfields, which is a major problem down this way as well as the wet we are experiencing!
June,July and August are good times in the north. The time of year I head to Western Creek. There has been plenty of rain so the grass will be long.

Must be in a different FNQ :oops::D:D as has been a very dry wet actually with bugger all rain? No decent rain for over a month and station owners already having to open up paddocks to let the stock get to water. Grass is plentiful at this time from last rain but is already dying off as we speak. Radiators on Quad have to be cleaned out daily as chockers with seed and tracks have all but disappeared. If you didn't know where they were you wouldn't find them actually. But as said grass is dying off rapidly as it's as dry as the proverbial 🤭 Locals are hopeful / praying for more rain April - May. Grass situation is really a matter of seeing how it is at the time. I believe Dells Hole is closed to detecting this year.
Pic is two days ago

Grass.jpg

That's the track in front of quad

March Grass 2.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe in Cairns Simmo but out west would be lucky to have had that in past three months. Will let you know re Cairns as in there tomorrow :p Dry as a crispy and locals are hoping it changes.
Always love the sickening trip down the Gillies 🤑 What is it 263 corners in 19K ? Ya gotta love that ........................ not.

Last edited:
Maybe in Cairns Simmo but out west would be lucky to have had that in past three months. Will let you know re Cairns as in there tomorrow :p Dry as a crispy and locals are hoping it changes.
Always love the sickening trip down the Gillies 🤑 What is it 263 corners in 19K ? Ya gotta love that ........................ not.
One range I refuse to drive if I can...
I hate the Gillies!
Rain should be easing here in town tomorrow, will prolly turn out to be an awesome day!!

Latest posts