Gday from Gulgong

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We have over 500 acres, 15 mins north west of Gulgong. The more i look around the place, Ive got a feeling on a few spots that might hold something of value.

The property next door has a few shafts from back in the day so heres hoping.

I'll look into hiring a detector for a week or so and see how I go before I buy one of my own, but Ill spend some time reading up on the best plan of attack. Thanks to everyone who has posted information.

If anyone has any info on the Gulgong area, or tips i can follow, Ill be very appreciative.

Maybe chasing cattle around isnt the most productive thing to do on the farm after all.

Cheers

Dave.

Welcome to the forum mate. Just be careful with crawling into them old shafts. Make sure some one is with you. Good luck and i hope you will find what you are looking for.

hey Gorms,

sounds exciting.. I'm going up Sofala Thurs... you could borrow my gpx5000 for three weeks if you pick it up. I wouldn't use it in Sydney...

maybe you should do some digging in creeks and gullies and pan some buckets and see if you have flakes. There's some enthusiasts around mudgee who'd love to give you some input....

Beagleboy said:
Welcome to the forum mate. Just be careful with crawling into them old shafts. Make sure some one is with you. Good luck and i hope you will find what you are looking for.

mate there is zero chance im going down one of those shafts. Agree with you 100%

Levytag said:
hey Gorms,

sounds exciting.. I'm going up Sofala Thurs... you could borrow my gpx5000 for three weeks if you pick it up. I wouldn't use it in Sydney...

maybe you should do some digging in creeks and gullies and pan some buckets and see if you have flakes. There's some enthusiasts around mudgee who'd love to give you some input....

Thats a lovely offer mate, Thankyou. where in Sydney are you? im in Engadine.

There are two or 3 nice river/creeks that run through the property. A few big bends in the creeks which ive heard may hold the majority over time so might start there.

Am i right in saying that folks look for flakes to see if there is gold in the area, or flakes start to add up?

Gorms83 said:
There are two or 3 nice river/creeks that run through the property. A few big bends in the creeks which ive heard may hold the majority over time so might start there.

Am i right in saying that folks look for flakes to see if there is gold in the area, or flakes start to add up?

both

using a detector up there would be a good starting point but if at first you find nothing but bullets and horseshoe nails with the detector , then try using a pan in the rivers , or pan dirt from places where the river used to be.

gold pan is only $ 20

search for a topic here called "loaming" , it will open up your prospects

doing test panning and keeping a count of how many specs or nuggets you find (and where) is a good way to hopefully lead to the source which could be a reef with kilos of gold in it for all you know

i have never looked for gold up there but guessing you will get nuggets and flakes which do all add up if you find them concentrated in certain parts of the river , there are sometimes cracks , holes and crevices where the gold likes to hang out and party with other gold , or inside bends in the river where the water slows down and drops the gold.

i used to go shooting up at Gulgong and leadville 20 years ago . nice bit of country.

have fun up there Gorms

Welcome to the forum Dave. A quick run over your property with a gold pan and a few crevicing tools will soon shine the light on its gold potential. If the neighbors have old shafts on their land then the chances of gold could be quite high.

Hope the info on the forum helps with your endeavors and some of those gold flecks show up in your pan.

Best of luck out there in the paddock,

Cheers Wal. :)

A mate of mine who lives on the Gulgong Gliding airfield tells me there is gold in the creek that runs along the perimeter of the airfield on the Dunedoo. side of the airfield.
The prospecting gear business inMudgee will happily give you help(cant remember the name)
Cheers Pete

I'm on the northern beaches. I thought you were living at Gulgong and could pickup from near there. You could pm me and start the process.....

Levytag said:
I'm on the northern beaches. I thought you were living at Gulgong and could pickup from near there. You could pm me and start the process.....

gday again,

I work down in sydney and help my parents out each week on my days off. Still would be very nervous borrowing someones expensive gear.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. really appreciate it.

p.s, I dont think i can use pm's till im up to 10 posts.

hey Gorms,

this is the kit you could use to start..

1381648620_kit.jpg

we can do the detector later....

maybe pick some spots around the creek.... dig up some dirt... sieve it into buckets... look at the oversize gravel left in the sieve, no nuggets or gems?... put the oversize in a pile to fill your hole later. dig down to bed rock if you can, scratch out the crevices when you are there and sweep the dirt into your buckets. Pan away Renee and see what you've got...

I can leave this pictured gear in Wattle Flats for your pickup, if you wish... then return it within three weeks..

What route would you take from Engadine? would you still cross the blue mountains via Katoomba?

Hey mate
I head out to gulgong quite a bit... Ill pm you when I'm out there in a couple of weeks. Maybe can meet up and have a look. I have friends there with property. There is gold there...
Do you know a guy called Patrick that lives there?

Hi Gorms. Sounds like you've got a good spot out there. I get out to Gulgong a fair bit + have some panning gear & a detector. Would be happy to give you a hand but I'm no expert just a basic knowledge of where/what to look for. Gulgong is a good place to be searching & being on your own property is a great start especially with the past evidence right next door.

Gee your a good bunch of blokes. appreciate all the offers.

Levytag, thanks mate. Thats definately a good way to start.

Ive looked into a place at batemans bay that hs a ML for $300 for the week. Thats another option.

Welcome Gorms, the more the merrier. Hope to catch up with you in the future

Welcome Gorms83

my father live in Gulgong. along time ago the old home is still here
i have been there one or 2 times for family reunion over the years

Hi Dave, iv lived in the Mudgee Gulgong region most of my adult life.....kids were born in Mudgee, all 4 of them and i was married in Gulgong....once. :D
Idont reside in either towns now, but im not to far away.

Here's a little read up for you on the area.

GULGONG: 29 km NNW of Mudgee. Mr. S. Stutchbury (1852) first discovered gold in the Gulgong district in the neighbourhood of Guntawang. He reported gold on the summits of several ranges around Guntawang and also noted its occurrences in a Permian conglomerate near the junction of Wyaldra with the Cudgegong River. Remnants of these Permian rocks occupy erosional hollows in Silurian claystone along the Cudgegong River. The gold taken in the past from Slashers Flat (Cudgegong River Crossing) and at Cloudy Bay, 3.2 km further downstream was derived, in part at least, from the conglomerates overlying the older Silurian rocks. Great areas of these rocks have been eroded and their gold contents have contributed to the alluvial deposits in the upper reaches of the Cudgegong and Turon Rivers and also to the easterly flowing streams such as the Capertee and further south the Cox's River. A similar conglomerate was worked in situ at Cloughs Gully, near Tallawang, and Tucklan to the NE of Gulgong in the 1870s and 1880s when just on 483,170 ounces of gold was won from this area including some very large nuggets. It is also interesting to note that the population of this area in 1872 was over 20,000.

The leads worked in the Gulgong area were Adams, Black Lead, Caledonian, Canadian, Combandry, Happy Valley, Home Rule, Nil Desperandum, Perseverance, Shallow Rush and the Star, underlie the creek flats, which head into the low range of hills extending southwards from Gulgong. Most of the gold won was deposited in the Tertiary period when land was more elevated and the dissection of the small reefs and gold leaders throughout this area. Extensive deposits of gold-bearing gravels resulted.

Later in Tertiary times a regional subsidence of the land gradually lessened the stream gradients and the carrying power of the water being reduced, the auriferous gravels in the watercourses became covered with finer rock materials, sand and clay, while the area of gold deposition moved upstream and into the gullies. Alluvium or a mantle of weathered rock material generally covers gold-bearing reefs at this erosional stage so that gold is added very slowly to present day stream deposits.

These shallow deposits were thoroughly worked during the 1870s and 1880s. They have received intermittent attention since. Most of these deposits led down to deeper gold wash which was often extraordinary rich and most of the great production from the Gulgong area came from such deep leads, worked down to depths of 61 metres.

The upper reaches of the creeks accessible from the Gulgong-Mudgee road appear to offer the best opportunities for fossicking at shallow levels. Road signs probably indicate heading south from Gulgong, the Victorian, Grecian, Three Mile, Magpie, Springfield and Rapps Gully leads are passed and being of historic interest. Fords Creek lead converges to within .4 km of the road, being about .8 km to the west of the Springfield or Rapps Gully crossing. Old mining leases extended well into the upper reaches of Fords Creek.

A lead was worked between portions 65, 68, 69 and 18; Parish of Galambine, County Phillip, the creek being accessible from the Slashers Flat (Cudgegong River Crossing) and the Guntawang Cobbora road.

Several reef deposits were worked in the Gulgong areas notably at Red Hill, Salvation Hill, Louisiana and the Three Mile.

http://www.treasureenterprises.com/...old_prospecting_locations_New South Wales.htm

Did u end up working out if the ground hold any value ?? I live at blacklead and have done all my life gulgong gold is tricky but there is plenty about if u know what to look for if you get stuck n wanna know for sure id be happy to help u out

hi gorms
sully ere I'm hoping you are you still active mate from 3 years ago. I've just joined and looking to head out to gulgong for a gold fosicking trip after christmas an would love to do some trekking around your rivers if you would be ok with that. please send me a reply
cheers sully

Latest posts