Gday from Sydney

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey,

My name is Brendon and I'm from the north end of Sydney. I've been around a few places in NSW having a bit of a pan and sieving for some gems.

The only nuggets I've found are the crispy golden ones from McDonalds but I've got the gold bug and I've happy for the time out in the bush or on the farm. Just looking into getting into detecting for tiny nuggets but we'll see how that goes over the next few months.

G'day Brendon. Welcome to the addictive world of gold prospecting.
You would do well to stick with panning for the time being, there is nothing like pinging a few nice bits in the pan to get the adrenalin running.
Keep an eye on threads here and do some reading about prospecting and basic geology to build up your knowledge base before you tackle anything more adventurous.
If you do decide to jump into the world of electronic prospecting, my advice would be to get a machine that is up to the task. Many make the mistake of buying as their first a cheaper VLF machine only to find that what might work well as a treasure hunting machine in the sandy soils of the Sydney basin only leads to disappointment and frustration in the mineralised soils of the goldfields. There is a huge difference there.
A used 5000 or 2300 would be a reasonable starting choice and there would be a ready resale market if things don't work out or if they do upgrade to a newer model.

G'day Brendon. Welcome to the addictive world of gold prospecting.
You would do well to stick with panning for the time being, there is nothing like pinging a few nice bits in the pan to get the adrenalin running.
Keep an eye on threads here and do some reading about prospecting and basic geology to build up your knowledge base before you tackle anything more adventurous.
If you do decide to jump into the world of electronic prospecting, my advice would be to get a machine that is up to the task. Many make the mistake of buying as their first a cheaper VLF machine only to find that what might work well as a treasure hunting machine in the sandy soils of the Sydney basin only leads to disappointment and frustration in the mineralised soils of the goldfields. There is a huge difference there.
A used 5000 or 2300 would be a reasonable starting choice and there would be a ready resale market if things don't work out or if they do upgrade to a newer model
Thanks. Yeah keep to keep up the panning and sieving gravels. I seem to get black sand in my pans so the technique is coming along (although I think I spend too long on each pan and don't get through a lot of material). Not so many colours so far but nothing more practice and research won't fix.

And despite your sage advise I'm probably going to get a Nox800, which I'm not expecting much from but will be a good toy when we visit family down on the farm and see what junk is lying around in paddocks.

I don't know if I'll ever get to the position to dump money for a midrange detector like either the 2300 or 5000, which are still 3 to 5 times more expensive, but we will see how we go.

Latest posts