Garrett Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Acknowledged worldwide for the highest standard in quality, ISO 9001 Certification is a guarantee to anyone, anywhere in the world that Garrett metal detectors come from a quality managed organization. Along with Garrett's continuing effort to make hobby and security products available in the expanding international marketplace, is the even stronger effort to continue to provide superior one-on-one customer service to every customer.

This is a quote from Garret Australias web site and is fairly typical of many organisations who self-promote. My question is Has anyone on the forum had firsthand experience of Garret Australia, meeting their ISO 9001 certification with regard to Timely supply of detectors ordered or prompt service and resolution to warranty issues.

I very interested in responses from those who have had firsthand experience with Garrett in Australia. I own a Garrett Infinium and have been considering buying an ATX, but given the feedback on this forum and others am now seriously reconsidering both on the ATX performance in Australian conditions and what appears to be poor service from Garrett Australia.

Dave

G'day Dave,

I've had dinner with Adrian from Garrett Australia and we've discussed several issues which seem to be outside Garrett Australias' control. Garrett with all their other machines and product are a very easy company to deal with and very responsive to customer service.

The ATX, which is coordinated from the States leaves a lot to be desired, and there's a lot of unanswered questions directed at the Head Office in the States. We sure seem to be playing second fiddle to our overseas comrades where this detector is involved.

To answer your question...is Garrett living up to its reputation and iso 9001 certification.... I recon, "most definitely".

HOWEVER, in regards to the ATX....A bigger blunder could never have been made by Garretts' head office in the States, and i feel they will eventually pay the price. They should not have released the ATX over here till all components were ready, useable, and serviceable.

This is only my personal opinion,

Cheers Wal.

Why can I buy a spare part of Garrett in Texas or Germany, and get it shipped here for $20 less then I can get it from Queensland?
Somethings not right here.

The exchange rate and gst have a lot to do with it. Why buy a Euroace for $500+ here when you can buy a gmt or Goldbug2 from the US, second hand for the same or close to the same amount (without warranty of course, or if still in warranty, has to be sent back to the US for repairs).

Here is how much you can buy The Garrett ATX From the USA go to the cheek out, click on standard post and this is the price posted why it the mark up so high Garrett Australia? and that's not the only one you can get it at that price!!!
but because I cant post links on here no one can see the web site until I have made 10 post so I have cut and past the words. if you do a web search for kellycodetectors you will find it and many more in the USA at these prices.

Here are details on placing your international order:
Garrett ATX Extreme PI Metal Detectors
Now with two accessory options to choose from!
Click here to See Option 1 Click here to See Option 2
(Accessory Option 1)
Retail price $2,495.00
Plus $462.90 in accessories
Total value $2,957.90
Cat# na14-1140860

Now Only $2,120.75

Call Toll Free 1-888-535-5926
Click here to compare accessory options
See pictures of both accessory options further down the page.
Kellyco Accessories (Option 1)
NEW! Electronic Pin Pointer Detector
1715 Gold Coin Replica
Daypack with Exterior Pocket
Gator S-30 Shovel
Finding Treasure State by State Guide
Lockback Folding Knife
Pro Orange Dot Gloves one sided
New Successful Coin Hunting
String Back Pack
2 Pocket Coin Pouch/Apron w/ Thin Pocket for Probes
FiberComp 2 in 1 Combo Digger/Sifter
Treasure Hunter Digger Sheath
3" Embroidered Logo Patch
Kellyco Metal Detectors Decal
Trial Subscription to Lost Treasure Magazine
Total Value: $462.90
Garrett Factory Included Accessories
10x12 inch DD search coil
Adjustable Land Headphones with cushioned ear cups
Multi-use travel and storage case with ATX Logo
Custom Detector Sling by Garrett Metal Detectors
AA (double A) alkaline batteries
Rechargeable batteries
Battery charger
Instruction Manual
2 Year Limited Warranty

After sending a email to the company I
Got an email saying

"Moe DiPinto
FEB 03, 2014 | 09:25AM EST
Hello Bo,

We can ship the following brands to your country: XP, Fisher, Bounty Hunter, Makro, JW Fishers & Teknetics but cannot ship
GARRETT.

And another email

Fabiane Folker
FEB 03, 2014 | 09:41AM EST
Hello Bo,

By contract with this manufacturer, Garrett Dealers in the United States cannot export their metal
detectors or accessories to your country. If you have a friend or relative here in the US,
we can ship this model to them.
We can ship the following brands
to your country: Fisher, Bounty Hunter, Makro & Teknetics. Very interesting!!!!

That's just the way it is, since late late year in fact. Obviously put in place to protect Garrett Australia and its dealerships from everybody simply purchasing from abroad. Remember though, if the imported goods are over $1000, they will attract a 5% import duty, and 10% gst. Plus take into account the exchange rate and include shipping cost, you will be looking at close to $3000au.

Hi thanks Goldpick but another website for the Garrett ATX $2120 plus postage $141.75 total $2,262 AT metaldetector.com

even with the exchange rate and import tax its still a better deal .

And the deep seeker Package Garrett ATX is $2546 + postage 141.25 total of $$2687.81 from metaldetector.com is still much cheaper. If a company is buying wholesale they get cheaper pricing and Im shore they pay a lot less in taxes.

$2546.00 from the USA and $4000.00 from Australia for the Deep seeker Garrett ATX you can fly to Hawaii buy one And still save.

Does Garrett Australia have sole rights to sell Garrett products to other Australian business who are selling the Garrett or can any one in Australia who has a business buy direct from Garrett USA? Would this be why we pay a whooping $4000.00?

My email to Garrett USA
Subject: Garrett ATX deep seeker

Hi Dear Mr Garrett

I was looking at getting a Garrett ATX metal Detector in Australia and the price that the product is being sold at is a rip off at $4,000 Australian, even with the exchange rate!!! Compared to the price I can get it from USA posted to Australia at $2600 for the deep seeker package. It is disgusting that Garrett allow Australian reps to rip off Australians for you product and how Garret have stoped USA metal detector shops selling there Garrett products to Australian customers there has been much discussion about this on Garrett detectors on Australian Forums about the price Australian shop owners are selling your product. It is called putting your finger deep into the pie!!

I would love to buy a Garrett ATX but not at the price Australian retailers are seeling it for and will not buy one until I can get one from a retail shop in the USA or the price comes down in Australia.

Australians are not stupid and know that you can but Garrett ATX deep seeker at a much cheaper price posted to Australia.

I will buy another detector from another company as will other Australians, sales lost over greed !!

I look forward to your response for Australians to read .

Kind regards Syro Australia

May sound cheap if bringing it in by freight, but work out the exchange rate $2811, plus 10% gst $315, plus 5% duty $157, plus freight worked out in au dollars $159, totals around $3442. Still cheaper, but you still can't buy them from the US unless you use a forwarding service, have friends or relatives there, or turn up in person.

You would probably have to sign a contract with Garrett Australia as an agent, specifying certain terms of sale, and what other competing items you can or cannot sell from the same business, the same would go for Minelab. I don't know the exact details, but it's not as simple as it has been in the past, selling various brands of detectors under the one roof under an equal footing.

Though it seems lately if you sell just the one brand of detector from an Australian business, it's a sure way to go broke, or lose your dealership without notice from the parent company - lots of politics at play unfortunately, very cut throat.

I would argue costs of running an AUS shopfront, insurance in AUS, AUS wages etc but you seem to think you know what your barking about when comparing Aus vs USA.

I do buy stuff from the states but I only do it when there is two identicL online stores and I can see one is price gouging.

Tell us the response later.

I think the only detecting item I have bought from Australia new has been the Pro-find, everything else has come from abroad, or bought second hand in Australia. I don't usually worry about warranties or threat of not honouring warranties if bought from abroad, haven't had an issue yet, I treat my gear pretty good. Even bought a dud goldmaster from the US and repaired it back to working order, ended up making a profit on that one.

I figured if I can afford four detectors that serve different purposes vs buying one expensive detector, it would be more flexible and fun. :) Also lucky enough to have someone here who can service my gear for very reasonable rates vs sending them off to the manufacturer for weeks on end.

Also if you note on the Kellyco site, all the Garrett detectors have a little note under each of them stating US shipping only, which is a bummer as it also includes Tesoro gear as well.

At the end of the day, you still have a choice, buy from Australian dealers and get local warranty, or buy from the US using a forwarding service, but all warranty claims have to be dealt with in the US, and you will also have to foot the bill for shipping. :)

I don't usually worry about warranties or threat of not honouring warranties myself because all products have factory warranties.
The Kellyco site," all detectors have a little note under each of them stating US shipping only, if you click on the green tab it will give you cost for shipping to Australia!

There will be Companys who will ship to Australia from the USA just need to find them and I have found one!!
I know if I was selling Garrett I would not let Garrett tell me who I can and cant sell to.

And the shop owners who signed contracts with Garrett USA in the USA before changes were made in regards to sales to Australians they would have old contracts under the old rules you just need to find them as I have. $$$$

Iv got a simple fix don't buy one. I can get 2 detectors for $4000 one for the beach and one for land.

Yes that's a great thought!! But the Garrett sell the Infinium LS used for deep under water detecting and on land at cost of $ 1500.00 why buy two at $4,000? The Garrett ATX is finding Gold that Minilab does not and can be used for land and under water it is a great bit of kit but any detector is only as good as the user I always read the instructions and research everything on the topic that I study. You need to know where to look and read the land!

mfdes said:
syro said:
The Garrett ATX is finding Gold that Minilab does not

I'd have to say from all I've read that's very much arguable...

Me too!! - I have only seen 1 x picture to date (that wasn't used in advertising) of an ATX found nugget. Not being knocked over with good results as yet.

Well I think for what the garret ATX is and for what it can do' would suit 70% of detector operators. I'm still not sure it will improve what I already have.

There are some Vids on Utube about the ATX Garrett that will help! What are you using ZUKE?

I'm using a sd2100 ATM with larger coils, a custom built batt system and wireless headphones works quite well agains my buddy's gpx 5000' that I borrow a lot' pics up most of the 5000 signals
Also the GMT on the smaller patches that can give your brain a workout.
And in the making I'm putting a GMZ in a water proof dry box
(The GMZ has a salt switch)

If I fork out for a ATX it will replace all 3 detectors' so this is where im situated.
'Or lost'
Best price so far in Au for the ATX is $3700 inc a garrett pin pointer and as a deep seaker pack.

Latest posts