Garrett Ace 250 or Euro Ace

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We are going to buy our 14 year old son a metal detector for Christmas and can't decide between the Ace 250 and Euro Ace.

Personally I'm a Minelab guy and don't know much about Garrett detectors, so I would like to hear from anyone personally using either or both of these units and can provide some feedback on detection depth, ease of use, reliability etc.

Ok. If you get a euro ace it isn't designed for Australia, but the European market. It may have issues working over here. I know Garrett Australia have it listed, but it's the European version. The ace 350 is the version you want. Very versatile. Works great on the beach & goldfields. Great for beginners as you pretty much turn on & go. Fantastic on coins, loves $1 & $2. That would be my recommendation for you. Pm me if you have any questions.

Thanks I'll stay away from the Euro Ace, but I can't seem to find the Ace 350 on the Australian site?

I have and use an Ace250 as well as a Minelab. I cant fault the Ace on anything really. It paid for itself in 2 months just in coins. They're cheap, reliable and suck up coins like a seagull to a chip! I have no problem digging pre-decs in parks at 8inch's but I am using the larger coil. On the beach it is in its element. Its easy to use and quick to get used to but you do have to knock the sensitivity back a couple of notches on the wet sand.

You dont need a bigger coil especially just starting out with a new ace 250. It comes with a 6x9 open elliptical coil as standard which is good coil especially if youre just starting out. I use a 9x12 elliptical with a skid plate in certain areas but it is a heavier coil, plus you get more falsing with the bigger coil. On the beach the standard coil is all you need. Since using the 9x12 on the beach I havent found any smaller earrings and things like that anymore, but when I went back to the standard coil I started to find smaller objects once again. The bigger coil might go a little bit deeper, but I think the overall gain isnt much.

Latest posts