From South Africa moving to Aus

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pushingtin

Chris
Reaction score
Hi all

I am currently living in South Africa but will be moving to Perth later this year so decided to start looking for a nice Australian metal detecting forums and came across this one and instantly knew I needed to join.

I also run my own blog and metal detecting forums for the South African community but won't display the web address as I know that would not go down well with the mods here but you welcome to ask me if you wish.

I use a Fisher CZ21 as I find myself mostly detecting at the beach, and will certainly be looking to join up with any beach hunters in Perth later in the year when I arrive.

Just a quick question, what are the rules for detecting beaches in Perth? If you find a gold ring for example, are there any specific rules or laws about keeping the item (or do you need to hand in to Police?). I assume no need for any permits are required for beach hunting, only gold prospecting, is this correct?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Welcome aboard, you have found the right site lots of info and fellow prospectors to share your stories and finds with.

Welcome to the Forum Pushingtin. You don't need a permit for detecting beaches/parks etc as far as I know, unless its heritage listed. There are also no laws as far as I know about handing your finds in, but if you find a Gold wedding ring it would probably be the best thing to do ;) ... I think after a certain amount of time you will become the rightful owner anyway if it is unclaimed, and beside that, the owners would probably be more than happy to reward you for the honesty. Australia is a pretty good country, and plenty of history. Hope you make some good friends and find some good finds :)

Thank you frogger for the welcome and information, much appreciated. I look forward to detecting some Perth beaches :)

Hi there Pushingtin, welcome to the foum. I have recently moved to Perth (Midland area). I get about 4 days off between shifts and would be keen to catch up on the beach with you sometime. You are welcome to get in touch with me when you have settled in.
Cheers Monty :)

Cheers Monty - I will also be working shifts so will also have off days during the week etc. Its going to be much later in the year but will catchup then :)