"FLOGGED"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What does everyone think about the prospectors term "FLOGGED"

I can understand if an areas been hit pretty hard and has given up alot of nuggets over time people may assume its "FLOGGED".
These areas still continue to produce gold though. Is the "FLOGGED" term used by unlucky prospectors making excuses for a bad day out sometimes? maybe they haven't got the hang of there new detector yet.... must be "FLOGGED" or they're new to the hobby and swinging their detectors like 9 irons down at the golf club... must be "FLOGGED"

Whats everyone's thoughts?

I think most of us only prospect in "Flogged areas", as they are the spots that produce the honey with least resistance. Experienced prospectors get a little creative and prospect outside of "flogged areas", the most flogged area i've seen recently is Tuena, and its one of the best gold areas in NSW.

Hi Joe, no body gets it all and many on the forum, myself included have found good gold on so-called flogged areas. There's many reasons why people walk over and leave gold, that's why there's some left for the rest of us :D

Yep im working a flogged area.... just means i have to work abit harder and smarter .....like digging hard pack or walking through 7foot snake infested bladegrass ....areas that are unpleasant. When i find an old deposit i just hang some snake skins around...use an old porcelin laying egg and drag it through the sand around the creek ...snake tracks....somtimes croc tracks hahahaha :D

I think if you go home with empty pockets you may use the term flogged
One area that I have worked hard still on occasions will turn up gold its good at hiding, the weather the day how your detector is set up all has a big part in the outcome regards john :)

I think it's reference is pretty close to it's actual meaning, that an area has been hit hard. Whether or not it still produces is probably up to the tenacity of the next prospector :)

I have been to many remote locations and plucked plenty of modern day fuggets so I know there has been significant detector time put in at 'every' location I have ever been to.

However, every old relic I find confirms that the ground has not been flogged beyond hope. If the sweet mellow sound of lead has not been dug, then a golden target could be the next thing out of the ground. :p

I don't pretend to be a detectorist but good gold still comes out. I've watched as a pre teen pulled up sub grammers on a surfaced area that has been a go to place since the 70s. That area has had just about every detector you can think of go over it, and the biggest part of that being an eye opener was the fact his old man had worked it with every MD pre and post pi, and the bloke is no slouch. New tech, a keener ear, weather, heat/cold, different day, fatigue, coil choice, timings, in some ways these little things help change the game, not to mention raking, gridding, chaining, dozing, etc.

I add that to the fact I can get out in a gully or creek that is so called flogged, or run others tailings in hot spots and still pull out fines, , flour, flake, chunky and pickers (even little nuggies) and as has been mentioned know that no one ever gets it all. Personally if I hear of somewhere new that someone has given up on but had some luck that's a good place to go.

Anyone who wants to put in the time is a better chance than any half hearted effort that has come before. I'll bet there's more than a few blokes who have revisited old patches in hope of a new return.

I used this analogy before.
Get a sheet of A4 paper - pretend it is a paddock or gully you are detecting.
Next take a pen - pretend it is your coil.

Start drawing/swinging.
see how long it takes.

and that is only one machine/coil combo

Any ground that's had metal detectors run over it consistently for the past 20 years i'd consider flogged. That is just to say you're unlikely to find a big patch of detectable gold with our detectors current depth capabilities in these areas. You're working for a nugget here and there unlike say a virgin patch where you can trip over nuggets every few meters. Much harder to find but they're out there and away from flogged ground. No i havne't found a virgin patch.. Yet :D

I would imagine that with errosion the top layer of soil/overburden gets washed away eventually in effect bringing the gold closer to the surface for detectors to find?

Technology improves as well.

Nothing beats puting time into the task and patience. Slow and steady.

Flogged? Everwhere I ve been I am still digging lead so these flogged areas cant have been covered too well.

Great topic!

Latest posts