Fisher F2 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to buy my first metal detector but dont have much money so I have seen a fisher f2 metal detector for only $250 on line. Is it just for coins or does it work with gold to? sorry I dont know anything about detectors.

No, I know a member who is in the process of trying to flush his down the toilet. I took another detectorist who used an f2 and I had an Ace250, I was walking behind him picking out things that his detector missed, he was not happy, but I thought is was hilarious :lol:

In comparison they will ground balance in pretty much all soils. The reports are that it's getting some nice goodies too.

Aussie Detecting said:
If your budget is $250, go the bounty hunter tracker 4 for $195.

Are these good for gold? when I go back home I hope to go gold detecting but will use it on the beach and park up until then.

I'm living on the central coast until about february or march but have some work back at melbourne. so if that goes well I wont return :)

Thank you everyone for the great advice. Im heading back to melbourne next week so should be getting one in a few weeks :p. based on what you guys have said I think I will stay away from the f2 and look for something else.

Back in melbourne and start work next week, now waiting for my new bounty hunter tracker IV to arrive :D

I know this thread is quite old, but I thought I'd come to the defense of the F2 for anyone else who stumbles across this thread. IMHO I think the F2 is one hell of a detector for the money and easily a match for the 250. I had it for 12 months (recently upgraded) and it paid for itself 4 times over. I found a stack of predec coins, but this machine also excels at chasing goldies. It is really light, has a super fast response and best of all has a Visual ID display that gives you a great idea on what you are going to dig. If the ID says 40-42 then you know you are digging a 20c piece (most of the time). The f2 with the 4" sniper coil is a killer in trashy parks. As with all detectors, it takes a good few months to learn what the detector is telling you. It's not a depth monster, limited to about 4-5" depth depending on your dirt but most coins are well within this range. I have used the f2 on the beach but you really need to dial the sensitivity back meaning loss of depth. This would be the case with most vlf detectors. From what I've read if you are 100% beach on a budget the bounty hunter seems to do better.

There is a 5 page forum post on findmall.com from F2 users who are very happy with their detectors. Any failure to find coins with the f2 is definitely not the detectors fault.

So I got my fisher F2 last night and took it out for a spin in the local park today. Found lots of trash (pull tabs, cans etc - I took them with me, that way I feel like I am performing a community service :) but also found a couple of 1 cent and two cent coins. Not much but still thrilled. :D

I have no experience with metal detecting (except for using a cheap $50 no name brand a couple times) I must say to me the f2 seems brilliant. The pinpoint function is very accurate, only ever had to dig small holes. I was also impressed that it found the tiniest little cog wheel, prolly only measured about 5mm and it was quite deep too. :)

Welcome to our obsession Sarn you need to find about 200 junk targets before you make your first big find I.e. Gold nuggets, sovereigns, etc. So deduct all those you found today from your total and good luck with it :)

Heheh would love to find gold, hoping to on my snowy mountains trip during christamas. :D

But in reality that's not what I am after, would love it and will try for it and would be absolutely thrilled if i found gold, but I also like historical artifacts even if they are junk. I like learning about he history of a place. :) my neighborhood was only built in the 70s, its not very historical but there were a lot of pasturelands before canberra was created. I have researched some local places, but most locations are private so plan on sticking with the public parks and creekbeds, at least until I gain enough experience to be able to ask private landholders to fossick their lands. I am fortunate in that my husbands family is closely tied to some historic sites, so hopefully once I get proficient at this i Can ask for, and obtain permission. :)

I am thrilled that I found some 2 and 1 cent coins, simply because they Arnt made anymore and are a part of our history even if they are worth nothing. :). I hope to find more. :)

Oh and I can't believe how small the 1c pieces are. I was here when they were still in circulation (originally came from overseas) but they never seemed this small, they are tiny little buggers. :)

Latest posts