Fake Garrett Pro Pointers and detectors - Beware!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoopa

Tim
Reaction score
Found this on youtube today. Fake garrett pro-pointers. Watch the video and beware! Usual story- coming out of China and ripping people off.

I wonder if its just a faulty unit perhaps with a broken sensor or something? If it's fake, it seems like they went to a lot of trouble to get everything else spot on except for that one feature :/

Hahahaha, Alli Express for $59 bucks.
http://www_aliexpress_com/wholesale?SearchText=garrett+pointer&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20130924204638
What did he expect

yeah Redfin, Alli Express is where alot of the fake GPX 5000 were being sold! Hey Nugget I also thought the same until I heard what he paid for it. ($59) and that's shipped. Appears it's now the turn of Garrett to protect their good name and reputation.

Also Nugget, I tested my Pro-Pointer and I can detect a 20 cent coin out to 8.5-9cm from the tip (Air test). The guy in the clip is only getting about 2cm detection from the tip. They're just not up to standard mate.

It does sound way too good to be true. I'm convinced they are fake after seeing them on Alli Express, that site should be shutdown.

I agree Nugget but what about this on Ali Express. Minelab GPX 5000 for $820 or a GPX4500 for $360 delivered! The just don't give a s..t do they! Also noticed some Garrett 250's on there as well. The AT Gold & Pro's will be next.

At a conservative guess I would say 75 to 80 % of goods on Ebay come from here and are marked up. Heaps of similar products re branded, like 12v fridges for example.

I just received a new garrett today. It is a FAKE. How do i know. Turn on. 1 beep. Not 2 only detects while moving. I have contacted the seller telling them of my findings requesting a full refund. Should i destroy the fake so it cant be resold.

They're not uncommon on eBay, sometimes described as 'replica' in the fine print, to try to get around the counterfeit angle. If you buy one from other than an authorised Australian dealer you are taking a big chance with your money, IMHO.

There's also what looks to me to possibly be a brand-named version of the fake, sold as Gold Hunter pinpointers:
1447992619_gold_hunter1.jpg

1447992619_gold_hunter2.jpg

1447992619_gold_hunter3.jpg

They do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! :rolleyes:

That Gold Hunter looks very much like a Deteknix x-pointer, with regards to the design, two button operation and lanyard ring. About the only difference is the scraper blade, and who knows about the internals.

If the seller of the "propointer" is based in Oz, then I would be reporting them to Ebay for selling new counterfeits, though not much you can do if they are based in China.

Good luck to the seller.
If anyone is stupid enough to buy that {the one above},
they deserve what they get.

I got done, but wasn't advertised as a replica, was advertised as an OEM product. Going through the process now of trying to get my money back. Crossing my fingers. Should have done my research beforehand, but got all excited and didn't want to miss out on a good deal. The Ebay store is called securityonline2011, he has good feedback and seems legit. Is it possible the seller wouldn't know? Just thought he was getting a good deal?

DAN77 said:
I got done, but wasn't advertised as a replica, was advertised as an OEM product. Going through the process now of trying to get my money back. Crossing my fingers. Should have done my research beforehand, but got all excited and didn't want to miss out on a good deal. The Ebay store is called securityonline2011, he has good feedback and seems legit. Is it possible the seller wouldn't know? Just thought he was getting a good deal?

I've seen their adverts for cheap Garrett gear on eBay and didn't know what to make of them. I understand that the owner of Garrett Australia has a background in the security industry in NZ and as Garrett sell body scanners for security purposes (http://www.garrettaustralia.com.au/security-division/), I assumed securityonline2011 was legit too, although the prices made me wonder about them. Wherever the seller bought his stock, surely it wouldn't be hard for him to establish whether it was a legit source.

If it is a lot cheep than a Agent one = there is a reason :)

Dave - did you not see the one I had and showed you.

Have a refurbed Wader that you could have had at the right price :)

Ebay seller that also has links to forums = Good chance you can trust them

FB seller that engages in groups = Good chance you can trust them

Cheep and no one knows or has met = Take care

Plenty of grubs selling fakes and knock off's and many know all the tricks...

Plenty of teh E-bay add say Garrett hand held detector = They are correct... But they are security focused detectors. NOT pinpointers and many get caught.

Here is my journey so far. Same supplier as dan77. I started by msging online security ME Q. Is this a genuine Garrett item. There are some Fakes outthere. OS. A.Hi yes to confirm this is an O.E.M.product. ME. Q.sorry i dont understand. What is OEM? OS A.OeM. Original equipement manufacturer. OEM is a term used when one company makes a part or subsystem. That is used in another companys end product. I ordererd & received the product. ME. Q.I just received my pin pointer Sorry to tell you it is a FAKE. Which is what i enquired about before i placed my order. I will be requireing a full refund. Thank you. OS. A.Hi just received your msg. Sorry to tell you this is an OSM product Happy to give you a full refund once item is returned to po box XXXXXX. Just to be clear the metal detector is a great product first return i have ever had on this product is now works effective and efficently never had a complaint in fact sell a lot to security staff and always had good reviews on this product.Please try and use product give it a go you will not be dissappointed and if you still feel the same way return still will get full refund i believe you have 30 days. To be sure i rang Garrett in the USA & quoted seriel no. They told me it is deffinatly counterfeit. I also left feedback on OS site. This is a FAKE pin pointer. Dont beleive me check seriel no's with Garrett. I have stuck to facts Coppies of actural messages. Gotta luv the bit where they think i will not be dissappointed after i told them it is a fake. Cheers. Dave.

Latest posts