Engel vs Waco

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to get a fridge / freezer around 40 lt, need input; Waco has new models with better catches and handles, old ones going out $200 cheaper, around $640. Wondered about Engel plastic 38 lt $750 / steel 40lt $1299 ?? Can have 2 x 38lt for bit more than 1 x 40 lt; one fridge one freeze.
Cheers LL

Have a mate with a 38 engel, he likes it.
I have a 60 lt primus, really good unit.
had a waeco 50......p.o.s. did not last up here, know quite a few people who have similar view of the waeco, s.
Having said that, the compressor in my primus is virtually the same as a waeco....difference is my primus, is stainless steel case, with a really thick lid, and it just stays cold, and uses very little power, .76 amph when set at +3 deg cels, will pull a lot more if it starts off warm though, I plug mine into wall power 1st to cool it down, then hook up to the battery.

I would choose the 38 engels over the waeco, s.

Limalot,

Both good fridges as a suggestion I purchased a Ridge Ryder by Eva Cool 65ltr fridge/freezer combo 12v/240v from supercheap auto last year $799 normally retail around $1100. it has been a great unit to date with no issues easy to use just set and forget.

I have no connection to either Supercheap or Eva Cool.

Cheers.

Macca

:)

Engel, had mine 20 years and still hasn't missed a beat. It runs full time as my beer fridge.

I have had a Waeco CFX50 since they came out about 18 months ago and it is the best fridge I have owned. The first Waeco's were very ordinary but they saw the light and redesigned them. The present Engel fridges are not the same as the old ones, at least that is what I was told by a refrigeration mechanic, do some online searches on the two, just make sure which model you are reviewing.

The 39/40l Engel that we use is a 1975 model
Only time it gets turned off is when being taken to or from the truck to the house ....
Runs all the time as the beer fridge.....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

We have one of these, 50 Litre Evakool Glacier Fridge/Freezer, works well, but I reckon it's not really 50lt more like 40lt, by the time you take into account what they call the area above the motor which they call the butter compartment, which is virtually useless to keep anything cool unless the whole unit is being run as a freezer.

At about $650 or so it's reasonable value.

We had the plastic Engel, compressor etc replaced under warranty in under 12 months, and broken down again (won't freeze) and takes forever to even cool down to fridge temp, (like all day)

We have never had a Waco.

I totally agree the old tin model Engel went forever.

cheers dave

Hey mate, I have the Engel 37ltr and my son the 60ltr.
Both 14 mths young , sons runs 24/7 back of land rover.
The 37 used 12 x5 day camping,both are still running sweet.

Polky

The old debate of Waeco Vs Engel.

To my mind there are many better fridges on the market, but they way more expensive than these two common fridges and bulkier because of added insulation, so not as user friendly in the family car or fourby.
Over the years I have used Trailblaza (still do), National Luna (still do).

Being in the 4WD industry for over 20 years I guess you use, display and sell them all at times.
The Waeco CF range was pretty ordinary and had many break downs. Infact I have seen a factory full of them.
The new CFX range that Magilla has ,is much better. The ARB fridges come from the same factory.
The Engel however has stood the test of time and I use the 32 (MT-35), 39 (MT-45) and 60 (MT-60) litre models all the time (the older the better-mine are all pre 2000 models). The posts above seem to concur with this opinion.
Plastic fridges can warp in the sun if its too hot and this has happened to me.(it was a CF80 Waeco)

My choice for best all round fridge for size, value and reliability would have to be the 60ltr Engel by the length of the straight.
The most popular size and sales in Oz is the Engel 39 litre or the MT-45 as it is called.

GT :)

Hi mate,

It's always difficult to know what to buy. I first went a cheap 80ltr job from Rays and it broke down in WA and needed to be sent tot the East coast for repairs so I swapped it out for a 50ltr Weaco. I was told the old weaco's are better than the new ones due to the compressors being Danfoss. The new range has weacos own compressor and I was told by the tech they aren't as good. I was also told Weaco have less issues than Engel but that is just their opinion I guess.

Take servicing requirements into consideration if you are travelling about as it's not good if you can't get things fixed or swapped asap. The major brands have good servicing coverage Australia wide. Cheers

I have a Waeco 60 lt I bought if a mate who had it 6 months and then upgraded to a campervan with a built in fridge, I have had no issues with it so far and I'm quite happy with its performance

Gday limpalot,
ive got a 35lt waeco myself which has been great. Cools and freezes quick without drawing heaps of power, light enough to lift easily even when full. Easy to clean as well. Got mine a couple of years ago for just under 500. Longest straight time running has been 8 days with no issues. Gets used about 6-10 times a year and cleaned inside and out after every use as well as a good blast of air around the compressor compartment.
Reckon ill get another 5-7 years before I need to think about replacing it.
Thats been my experience of waecos, no doubt others will have their own opinion based on their own experiences.

TGW.

My Engel turned 23 yrs old last year, never missed a beat. I have a thermal cover on it, it still looks almost brand new. It's fixed in the back of my 4x4 bouncing everywhere I bounce.

I'll avoid the brand debate re Waeco v Engel v Evercool v ARB etc but I'll say only this;

Several comments including mine have already stated Engels at over 20 years old and still going strong. I've yet to see similar comments about other brands.....:)

Edit....The above refers to the steel compartment Engel not the plastic version. They have not been on the market for as long...........

limpalot said:
Great input, I will probally go for the plastic Engel; I will be going mainly Vic bush and GT. Just to keep the drop bears chilled.
Cheers LL

Hey limpalot

Mate if you can afford it, by the steel version. The plastic ones have a tendency to shit themselves more often. I bought my brother one and it lasted 6 months and so did the second one he got as a replacement. They were brought out to combat the cheap plastic waecos at the time and corners were cut.
MHO only based on experience that's all and trying to help.
GT :)

ive had my 70ltr F/F everkool 6 years now . cant fault it . its lived on the back of my 4be ute in 45 plus deg heat up north in wa for months on end . no need for bags to keep it cool . its tuff as nails . the only gripe i have is its a bugger to tie down .

this is where it lived .

My old man has had a few different brands over the years, Bushboy, chescold, Engle, Waeco & a few others, he's back to another Engle (metal not plastic) now & has had a few different sizes of them, they seem to be the best overall. Although the Bushboy was a good fridge it was just to big & bulky, was like a little deep freezer, nice & solid & all metal.

Latest posts