Engel vs Waco

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided to give the Engel plastic a go, 3 year waranty so see how it goes. Set it on 2 with a 2 lt bottle of water, frozen in the morning. Set on 5 and I'd be stuck to a Drop Bear, horrible thought. 8.( :eek:
Thanks to all for the input, been very enlightening.
Cheers LL

Hi folks, I retailed for many years Waeco, Engel, Chestcold, Primus and Evakool. What did I grab from the store before retirement 2 years ago.
It was going to be either a 40 litre Engel or a 60 litre white fibreglass Evakool.
IMHO these were the best on the market at that time.
In the end it was the 60 litre Evakool by a very narrow margin over the Engel. Have been using it in WA and NT all last year without problems.
If you are wanting to keep goods frozen, I suggest -10 for food safety. A quick check with your local health inspector would be worth the call to confirm safe temperature.
A couple of other tips for best efficiency.
Keep in shade and definitely off the ground.
A full unit is more efficient than a partly full. Use towels or newspaper to keep full.
Cheers

Would you recomend damp towels, only because I was thinking a cool, damp towel would be kind of decodent on hot afternoon with a xxxx.

Hi Davent, damp towel is a good idea, if wanted it really damp, roll up in plastic bag before putting in freezer.
Would be excellent round neck while rehydrating with favourite refreshment.
That's why I like this forum, friendly supportive and full of good ideas.

I used to keep a pack of "wet ones" in my esky when I was out fishing, wipe me face with a cool wet one, thought everyone up here would do it, but its never caught on?

ozziii said:
My old man has had a few different brands over the years, Bushboy, chescold, Engle, Waeco & a few others, he's back to another Engle (metal not plastic) now & has had a few different sizes of them, they seem to be the best overall. Although the Bushboy was a good fridge it was just to big & bulky, was like a little deep freezer, nice & solid & all metal.

Hi ozziii, do you mean BUSHMAN - I have a Bushman as does my brother and their build and reliability like the Engel is respected by those who know of them....

casper

I'm looking as well , and though I really come down on the Engel side, and thats what I was looking for , the best 'design ' looks like the 60l Waeco! Dual zone,both compartments separately switched, separately controlled and separately monitored ......but its ABS! That said it looks quite sturdy. Haven't found any consumption details yet though .....back to 'undecided' again!

had my bushman for 5 years here in darwin,no problems except when i stuffed up somehow and burnt out the electronic gizmo,Just gave them a call and they sent me a replacment gizmo free of charge,cant ask for better than that.I also have a very old engel in the shed that i use rarely but never misses a beat. http://www.bushman.com.au/

Latest posts