El Cheapo Hipstick

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozzie1957

Wayne Blyton
Reaction score
Thought Id have a go at making a hipstick. Chuffed at the result. Cut the L shaped placky bit from the side and bottom of an old tackle box I was going to chuck out. Got a curtain rod end cap thingy and cut the end of it and epoxied it to the L shaped bit to give me a socket. The L shaped bit I drilled 4 holes in so I can lace this piece to my belt.

The stick part is an old venetian blind adjusting rod that I cut to length (18). Got a wooden bead that just fits into the socket (had to sand it a little) and epoxied that to one end of the rod.

Scored an old laptop bag for 50c, from the op shop, and ratted it for the clip, d ring and a bit of webbing. Cut the webbing bit over a foot long and wound it through the clip and d ring a few times. Squashed the result out flat and melted a hole through the centre of the webbing with a screwdriver Id heated on the cooktop. Dropped a nylon bolt through the hole and epoxied that into the other end of the shaft. Squirted the whole thing with some paint I had in the shed.

Dropped a couple of Juniors hair ties over the L shaped bit, laced it to my belt and fed the stick past the hair ties (they stop the stick from wandering all over the joint) and dropped the ball (bead) into the socket. Clipped the top of the stick to the D ring on my Minelab harness (the one the bungy normally clips to) and clipped the bungy to the D ring on the stick. Adjusted the bungy so the detector is where I want it. Weights now on my hip.
Stick works a treat and the total cost was bout $7. Half of that was for the glue.

1385965869_img_0352.jpg

1385965917_img_0354.jpg

1385965995_img_0353.jpg

very clever mate. not as good as your ebay detector though! this thing actually works!!

Latest posts