Don't you people sleep?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DropBear said:
Ramjet said:
Goldfreak said:
I usually stay logged on even if I am not on the net.

That's a good way to get the forum or yourself hacked.

Ahhh why would you think that?

I am not a real tech person but the original owner and creator of this forum is an IT guy. He used to constantly remind us not to stay logged in as it left the system vulnerable to hacking.

Goldfreak said:
I usually stay logged on even if I am not on the net.
i found you get a nonce error and cant like or comment if you stay logged in so i will now log out in future and didn't realize it could jeopardize the forum so will log out in future
Pagan P

Ramjet said:
I am not a real tech person but the original owner and creator of this forum is an IT guy. He used to constantly remind us not to stay logged in as it left the system vulnerable to hacking.

Not to mention the wasted $ on your annual power bill. Here is an estimate from back in 2006:

Given the cost of electricity to be 12 cents per Kilo-Watt hour, the cost to run the PC 24/7 under the Average Power Consumption is: (0.530 KW * 720 hours * 12 cents per KW/h) = 4579.2 cents = $45.79 / month!

Nightjar said:
Ramjet said:

Not to mention the wasted $ on your annual power bill. Here is an estimate from back in 2006:

Given the cost of electricity to be 12 cents per Kilo-Watt hour, the cost to run the PC 24/7 under the Average Power Consumption is: (0.530 KW * 720 hours * 12 cents per KW/h) = 4579.2 cents = $45.79 / month!

nice reminder . but most comps will go into sleep mode with the monitor and HDD going into power saving mode but those $$$ all add up.

Ramjet said:
Flowerpot said:
At work too. Otherwise Id be making zzzzzzzzzzzzs :zzz:

Chocolate never sleeps??

Yes Rj, we must work around the clock to get the chocolate out to the masses.

Trains never sleep eeva.... maybe they carry the chocolate to the masses of chocolate munchers. ??

Maybe for a Mod... but still.... Nothing to back that unless the sites back end security is rubbish and from 1992.

But yeah. It's not true unless your PC you are using is compromised (keep your PC up to date and use a virus/malware detection software), or you have people randomly using your PC (This is a physical form of hacking, and can be quite handy when doing PenTesting into business's).

Staying logged into the forum will not leave it vulnerable to hacking.

DropBear said:
Maybe for a Mod... but still.... Nothing to back that unless the sites back end security is rubbish and from 1992.

But yeah. It's not true unless your PC you are using is compromised (keep your PC up to date and use a virus/malware detection software), or you have people randomly using your PC (This is a physical form of hacking, and can be quite handy when doing PenTesting into business's).

Staying logged into the forum will not leave it vulnerable to hacking.
agree, besides even if it was possible the hacker will have to leave they're mums basement then force me and Mr Winchester wife and Ms Mauser to give him my phone.

Smoky bandit said:
goody2shoes said:
I don't sleep very well sigh,

But when I do sleep I snore the house down :lol:

Goody :)
Me too.I have had people camping next to us and the next morning they pack up and move away. :lol: :lol:
Lol me too I've been woken and told I'm snoring, so I lay there for 5- 10 minutes hear nothing so go back to sleep :zzz: :lol: