Dja Dja Wurrung Plan released excluding prospectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the word access is the key.... but more specifically access to enjoy our low impact interests.
I have no problem with indigenous claims, or environmental groups making claims, but not at the exclusion of all other bush users. For me its about management and policing, not locking it up.
I would be prepared to pay a reasonable annual fee, like we do in NSW to prospect in State Forests, if it meant keeping land accessible. I would even reluctantly let go of the high banking issue if it meant we could still pan and detect in these areas.
As we have seen recently with other social issues, you are considered wrong and therefore the bad guy if you have any opinions or values that go against the push for the rights of others. I'm all for people doing what they want if it doesn't hurt anyone else. Race, religion, sexuality, whatever... I don't care, but don't tell me I'm the bad guy for enjoying the bush in my low impact way.

It's really quite childish when you think about it... I'm taking my ball and going home and you can't play with it.

You're right Teemore. Not disagreeing. I don't explain myself to well.

Personally I think going in guns blazing may do more damage than good. But that's just me. As you say the polite approach will probably have more impact.

Here we are pretty much locked out of everywhere for all types of access but as long as the boat doesn't get rocked, toes don't get stood on we can do more. A blind eye is turned.......slightly. Although up here and down there is not comparing apples with apples. But the words 'excluding all others' remain the same.

We did consider the fee option here to camp in one area but so far putting a sign up acknowledging the traditional owners past, present and future has made some headway (different circumstances than what you have).

It is a bat and ball scenario which is frustrating but that is what it is.

Mr Magoo said:
Patrick1 said:
Bjay said:
Call me defeatist but if theyve already spent the dollars on this( love to know how many millions) I really dont see any amount of submissions really making any difference. To me there minds made up. Only chance of this being repealed in my eyes is a change of government. Still then not a given. All depends on removing the do gooder feel good about themselves mungbean eating save the world types of edumacted Daisys putting there own agendas in other peoples heads. I for one have always kept out of areas Im not supposed to be in. If this goes ahead Ill go where I feel the call and accept the consequences if required.

Its my bush(forest) too,and all yours as well. :power:
You are correct, my friend. THIS round of closures/new Parks WILL go through. This is a fight to stop MORE land from being closed on the NEXT round....and there WILL be a next round. They snuck this lot through pretty far before anyone got wind of it. Can't repeal a National Park but we'll fight for no new ones.

They have had exclusive possession for five years.

1. Exclusive Possession

The rights and interests possessed by the native title claim group under the traditional laws acknowledged and
traditional customs observed by them confer on them possession, occupation, use and enjoyment of the land and
waters to the exclusion of all others.

I just don't understand what was "snuck" through.

'Exclusion of all others' would not stand in a court of law I would think.

If I want to rent out my property and I state that I will only rent it to aboriginal folk to the 'exclusion of all others' I can guarantee you it will fall foul of many laws and is, I would think, unlawful.

diggit said:
So if a man can identify as a woman, a white woman can identify as a black man then I am within my rights to identify as a member of the dja dja wurrung people

Yes your detector is your spear, pick your boomerang and prospecting is your traditional use of the land.
Funny how most if not all prospectors in the GT have never seen an Indigenous person in the bush?
Under the Mabo Claim, they have to demonstrate ongoing traditional use of the land?

In a court you would need witness to your claim? Evidence of unconstitutional goings on here! :8

Swinging & digging said:
diggit said:
So if a man can identify as a woman, a white woman can identify as a black man then I am within my rights to identify as a member of the dja dja wurrung people

Yes your detector is your spear, pick your boomerang and prospecting is your traditional use of the land.
Funny how most if not all prospectors in the GT have never seen an Indigenous person in the bush?
Under the Mabo Claim, they have to demonstrate ongoing traditional use of the land?

In a court you would need witness to your claim? Evidence of unconstitutional goings on here! :8

Have to agree there S & D have NEVER seen an indigenous person in the goldfields.
As to evidence, of claim to title a post the Mr Magoo put up a few post back indicates how they determined that and the tribunal accepted there 'tenure/usage of the land' and granted Native title.

I've tried checking and there are a few other claims that have been granted/discontinued/being investigated in various Australian states ..... sadly we're often not aware of them until granted, and really under the native title rights there doesn't appear to be an objection process ..... they meet the native title test, they're given native title.

Chers T.

Yeah I'm sorry, I may be wrong, but I'm feeling a bit of a tone building that I'm not comfortable with.

casper said:
Mackka said:
I still have to ask the question, how many of the forum members have been there in the last ten years?
Mackka

I have.......

... and i too have never encountered an indigenous person out there in the GT, and actually that's my disappointment! Yes I'm an 100% european and a 4th generation "new" Australian, but one who has always acknowledged (from a teenager - and I'm now 64) that I'm 'living" on Boonwurung land (see it in my PA profile). I genuinely respect the land and the original inhabitants. I don't Mine, or Prospect in the industrial sense for minerals,... I just "fossick" which is a low impact activity in the search in my case the chance occurrance of gold, or pippies on the beach for bait when i go surf fishing all of which to my mind is not too much unlike what modern day indigenous people want to do in their pursuit to preserving their hunter / gatherer culture. In short, we are both taking from the land aren't we.

Casper

Let's try and keep the topic on track. I have my own feelings about this and as other members I have soured at the feelings I have about it and I'm afraid it has run it's course. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts