NSW and national parks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was posted today on another forum, but I found it interesting:
chimpy said:
G'day

Was chatting to the NPWS today and asked them for a list of 'illegal activities' or a difinitive list of what's NOT allowed in a SCA as their info always seems vague and enquiries are usually met with another question "Why? What is it you want to do?" I don't play this game. It means you are just likely to get this one persons opinion, not a real answer. So for asking for a specific 'NO' list I recieved an email that, I was assured, would clear up any confussion.

The following is the guts of the email-

Subject: Fossicking
Dear Mr Pxxxxh

Thank you for your enquiry regarding prospecting in national parks.

Under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974 (NPW Act), exploration, prospecting and mining can occur in state conservation areas subject to environmental assessment, but it is unlawful to prospect or mine in any other category of park (including national parks). There is some ambiguity about the meaning of terms used in this area. To prospect is defined in the NPW Act as to search for any mineral by any means and carry out such works and remove such samples as may be necessary to test the mineral bearing qualities of land (Section 5 Definitions). Fossicking is generally understood to be a smaller scale activity that involves searching for and collecting minerals and gemstones with hand held implements.

In this context I understand you are more interested in fossicking than prospecting. All forms of exploration and extraction, including fossicking (or gold prospecting), has the potential to adversely impact the environment. For this reason, the National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) policy, (adopted July 2007), is:

Other than where currently allowed (at the time of adoption of this policy), fossicking will not be allowed in any park. Where it is currently allowed, including under a Plan of Management, consideration should be given to phasing out the activity.

The local relevant parks office would be able to advise whether or not fossicking is allowed in any particular area, noting the policy is to phase it out over time.

Please note that, to assist in protecting the natural and cultural heritage values of parks, the National Parks and Wildlife Regulation 2009 regulates potentially damaging activities, including:
Prohibiting a person from interfering with, digging up, collecting or removing soil, sand, gravel, fossil, clay, rock, ochre, mineral, among other things, in a park (Clause 11(1)(h)); and
Prohibits the use of metal detectors in parks without the consent of the Park Authority (Clause 16(3)). (However, there is no constraint on the carrying or possession of metal detectors in parks.)

If you require office contacts for any specific parks please let me know.

I hope this information is of assistance.

Make of it what you will. Me? I'm clear as mud

Cheers

Chimpy

Read more: http://alluvialgprospectors.proboar...tion=display&thread=5995&page=1#ixzz2RBmSjwCv

The part I found interesting was:
chimpy said:
In this context I understand you are more interested in fossicking than prospecting. All forms of exploration and extraction, including fossicking (or gold prospecting), has the potential to adversely impact the environment. For this reason, the National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) policy, (adopted July 2007), is:

Other than where currently allowed (at the time of adoption of this policy), fossicking will not be allowed in any park. Where it is currently allowed, including under a Plan of Management, consideration should be given to phasing out the activity.

The local relevant parks office would be able to advise whether or not fossicking is allowed in any particular area, noting the policy is to phase it out over time.

So I already knew 99% of NP was locked up and a no go but now to see they have a policy of phasing any existing fossicking areas out 8.(
I had hopes one day some places in NP that had been known goldfields would be opened to fossicking even with heavy restrictions. But from the looks of this it seems they have already set thrir stance :mad:
Don't get me wrong, I can understand the need to look after NP but, what is the point if nobody can enjoy it.
I guess I mainly think about Yalwal as it is only 15mins from me, and while it was more of a hardrock area there still was some gold in the creeks as well as silver and a few other mineral/metals. A lot of the goldfields were state forest but I think it was late 80's early 90's when national parks took over the other side of the dam as well 8.( While you can still access the mines for a walk around, I just think its silly that you cant do a bit of panning or detecting.

Sorry for the rant, just seems a shame to have such a fixed mindset on an issue, with policy like this I cant see us ever getting more access.

Good post Shivan.
I know that info is relevant to down there, but I can feel in my bones that changes are coming that will, i dunno, devalue the share price of Codan.... ;)
Seriously, the Greens are gonna puck this country for ever!
Our fisheries in Cairns are locked up, compensation pitiful....aww dont get me started.... :mad: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

ahh GM, ..Why don't we start a debate as to what "good " the Greenies have done for this great country of ours. :mad: At the moment I can't think of any...and I've thought about it for quite some time. :mad: Cheers Wal. :)

Mate, Myself, my wife and family are enviromentaly friendly alluvial gold miners!!
I was just commenting to my wife today..... the Barron river is spewing the sediment onto the reef....
My EA says I cant cause 'turbidity' for more than 150 mtrs....
cane farmers have to be compliant...
Miners have to be compliant...
So if we are all compliant upstream...
WTF is the river so dirty???

I have an answer....

ITS FRIKKIN NATURAL!!!

It happens EVERY YEAR!!.... for the last million or so that I've been around....

Wow...

(Sorry Guys'n'gals. I've spent a whole day in the mines dept trying to get another lease app in, to find out that the goal posts have moved yet again....not happy Jan!)

Yep, goal post :rolleyes: they are there to be moved :mad: Much of it is just a total bullshit. More about revenues, taxes and fees than anything else.
The more the possible money involved the more the posts move

Don't get me wrong, I can understand the need to look after NP but, what is the point if nobody can enjoy it.

Keep in mind that NP are there to protect heritage, cultural and environmental values. They are not there for recreational use. State forests are for recreational use. Unfortunately Goldfields are heavy on heritage value and end up getting 'protected'

Just imagine that the next dig you guys do will be heritage listed in 100yrs, and not to mention the adverse affects digging does considering that most places now are totally regenerated, most probably better, the greens have got to get the old mind set of the old days out of their heads and work together.
I love my digging and I think I am also a bit of a nature lover too. I see and have learnt a lot about the bush, not from just growing up in it but getting out and exploring, seeing things that others wouldnt, due to the fact that they sit behind a desk and havent actually been out in the scrub.
Yes we need places to protect but dont go over board with it and let people in to enjoy our countries bounty.
This is slowly becoming a land of do's and dont's, what built this country in the beginning was the gold rushes and prospecting and mineral wealth, and there is plenty left.
So if any Greens are reading this, get a life, live life and enjoy, and in saying that, I am going out to dig for more gold this weekend, 4 days giddyup.
Brad....

Ben78 said:
Keep in mind that NP are there to protect heritage, cultural and environmental values. They are not there for recreational use. State forests are for recreational use. Unfortunately Goldfields are heavy on heritage value and end up getting 'protected'
Don't get me wrong, I understand the value of heritage and environmental areas. If these places were managed properly I would not be so upset. The heritage area in Yalwal would be have been lucky to have had anything done to it since NP took over besides putting gates in. Roads and tracks are in terrible state, and what few old relics that remained have been left to rust, crumble or get flogged. Not to mention the total lack of forestry care that leads to big problems in bushfire season.
There are ways to protect NP's but still get use out of them as well. Just seems the agenda is more about locking them up than management.

So, was the addressees name really Mr Pissah ?

I would like to see some areas of our countries original goldfield protected. A couple of small areas in towns like Ophir, Sofala, Wattle Flat, Windeyer etc just so we can show our kids but I would like to see the bush open for all. Prospectors have more regard for an areas nature and history than any other recreational group. It's the damn Greens having too much power for a minority group....hopefully people's voting habits will change and instead of them voting greens instead of labor (even though they are the same party essentially) they will vote for someone else all together. I thought we may have had some luck with Bazza O'Farrel but he only allowed shooting in national parks and only cause they had him over a barrel.

If the Greens continue to experience the same popularity as they have in recent years I agree with GM, time to sell your shares in Codan and start looking for a new hobby............anyone know how to knit?

When that happens Cooper I'll start prospecting e-waste for gold, Urban mining deposits are 40 to 50 times richer than mined ore - only because I don't know how to knit lol

What annoys me the most is not the restrictions in existing NPs like Kosciusko and Alpine wilderness areas. It's all this crap where on the south coast heaps of what was always "State Forrest" has now been converted to "National Parks" with all access tracks covered with log barriers and entry prohibited to all but walkers. And then in their great ignorance and lack of wisdom, also convert most of the adjoining coastline into a "marine sanctuary", and stop us all from fishing the shores. :mad:

Much of this was at the hands of the "Greens" with their blackmailing powers within a minority government. If they looked at the environment with at least partly open eyes, and took on board community consultation then maybe , just maybe, the rest of us could take them seriously. The last election has showed them that their actions are now to be accountable, and the next elections will show those who remain that the dole cue is not that far away. ;)

Some common sense has at least prevailed, and the original decision to ban fishing in the " Batemans Marine Park " has now been overturned, after almost 12 months of lobbying, and lack of scientific evidence against fishing pressures. This is no thanks to the "Greens", but an indication of voting powers of the ordinary individual. What's necessary now is to convert common sense to what we can and can't enjoy in our National Parks, and banning low scale recreational fossicking isn't going to make the parks a better place for the kids of tomorrow. I for one will never place a vote for the "Greens" and I for one don't mind if they're reading this either. :mad: ...Cheers Wal. :)

Latest posts