Diy Snuffer bottle

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wanting to make a couple of Snuffer bottles just wanting some help or some images of your homemade Snuffer bottles

A small clear plastic vanilla essence bottle (or similar). 3 or 4 inches (75-100mm) of 3/16 (5mm) ID clear plastic tube. Drill a very tight hole through the lid and force the tubing through about an inch (25mm), so the gold/material doesn't fall back down the tube. Squeeze the bottle, place end of tubing on the material/gold. As you release the squeezed bottle, the material/gold is sucked inside, up the tube, and is able to drop down inside the inverted bottle.

Look for walnliz turkey baster as a start. The best way to build one is to ensure that you can empty the bottle via the tube. The bottle lid should have a solid section. Push the tube into the bottle to suck the goodies up, then pull the tube into the solid section so the gold can be emptied without taking off the top. Look for the garrett bottle utube demo which will show how it works.

Jon

Why don't you enlighten us Simmo ? The type of bottle I refer to return to their original shape quite easily and forcefully, as long as you don't over-squeeze it.

Not quite DIY but at this price $26.95 for three and two vials, including postage at the moment these could be a go.

You will have to insert the . in the web address below. As I am just about to make my tenth post (this one) so I can place a link directly.

www ebay com au/itm/121276145728?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Even if you dont buy they show the ideal bottle with the tube inside the bottle.

If you can wait these have been down as low as $20.97 at one stage in march. Just have to catch it at the right time.

The bottles shown are polypropelene you may even get one from one of the cheap Asian shops or I think hair dye comes in the same bottles. Ken.

I made this one late last year. It's a turkey baster from a kitchen shop with a thick rubber bulb which produces a very powerful suction. The bulb separates from the snuffer for clean outs and all of the gold rests just back from the inlet. It's hard plastic and transparent so easy to See your gold as you go. I've added a fishing weight so it can't wash down stream while I'm underwater.

Just bought 2 * 1litre sauce bottles from Kmart at $2.00 each, just need a bit of small tube to complete them now. Ken.

Have tried that myself Ken2m,
you will need to find a way to seal the lid really well otherwise you lose suction. Also need to seal around whatever tube you use.
Made one out of a 1/2 litre squeeze bottle and some copper tube, ended up scrapping it as I couldnt get it to seal properly and still be able to remove the cap to get the gold back out. Also took up too much room in the pack.
Ended up buying one that fits in my hip pack nicely, from memory it was five bucks.

Have fun,
TGW.

Hi Ken2m,

Please don't forget to pm me to tag along on your next outing.
I would like to see the sauce bottle in action and where you could fill it up. ;)

My snuffer is only 30ml pocket size dammm LOL
Cheers

ken2m said:
Just bought 2 * 1litre sauce bottles from Kmart at $2.00 each, just need a bit of small tube to complete them now. Ken.

I used the tube from a spray cleaning bottle. it works great just snip the stem of the bottle you are fitting the tube to a little smaller than the tube then force the tube through the stem works great . cheers Jemba

I have found an even better bottle than the 1 litre ones, the only problem is that they are smaller, only half a litre. I supose the 1 litre ones are hard to hold when they are nearly full :) . They are the dettol foaming hand wash refill bottles. The main improvement is they have a faster return to normal shape than the round bottles. I guess I will need to get a few of them. They seal extreamly well and are also clearer than polypropelene bottles. Labels come off well when the bottle is filled with hot water, and the remainer of the glue can be removed using the sticky side of the labels on the residual adhesive. Ken.

Mate it may be a good idea to only use round bottles, i think the idea is not to let the sucker tube touch the side of the bottle or your gold may find it's way into the sucker tube and out of the bottle while in transit and such. just my thoughts cheers Jemba

Jembaicumbene said:
Mate it may be a good idea to only use round bottles, i think the idea is not to let the sucker tube touch the side of the bottle or your gold may find it's way into the sucker tube and out of the bottle while in transit and such. just my thoughts cheers Jemba

Yes, makes a lot of sense. I will definately make sure that can't happen.

Thanks, gold is too hard to come by to re-distribute it around the state. Ken.

This is the one I mentioned above. The stiff bottle gives it a high powered sucking action. The short tube ensures any heavies are not left in the tube.
1465732986_100_0248.jpg

My first snuffer was a hard plastic PP bottle like this Tim, it lasted a while but eventually cracked where the white lines formed from bending. I went onto using HDPE which is not clear but whitish, I'm not one to gaze at the snuffer bottle so I don't need to see through it. Think it was a hand sanitizer with pumper

I just had a look at the recycling code on that bottle, code 1- PET, same as soft drink bottles, very tough. I said it was a vanilla essence bottle, but it's actually an e-juice bottle(50ml). I suppose it doesn't need to be clear. I would presume glycerine, peroxide and pharmaceutical bottles would be the same material?.(Hair dye was mentioned).
I've said it before, and no doubt I'll say it again, there are many dealers out there profiting immensely from marked up accessories. I just bought a sprocket for my little chainsaw on Ebay-$3.50 and $2.99 postage. The local Honda dealer wanted $29.99 and $14 freight, to get it up from Adelaide. He said their cost price was over $20. So someone is making a killing. He got the Ebay address off me so he can now bypass the middle-man. But, I suppose they will still sell for $29.99........
Victa lawnmowers are now owned by Briggs and Stratton. A carby kit for the plastic carbys was $6. Now overnight it's $32. Still made in China. You cannot convince me that corporate capitalism benefits Australia on any level. Too many over-paid parasites is the reason we're going down the gurgler. :mad:

Latest posts