Digging a hole like the old timers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love you work Wally.
Even an old fart like me can learn something. Never knew it was kero they used. That explains why the slick is not a lot thicker.
So that begs the question. I wonder if the slick on the creeks will evaporate in the same way?
Cheers, Ron.

we used to pre-coat the stone with diesel as well, if the stone was dusty before sealing a road, the more dirty the stone the more the aggy loader would spray on the stone while loading and if sealing a road for the first time (prime and seal) we would put extra kero and diesel in the bitumen, and on a cold day even more diesel went in. so some areas can have a lot of extra petroleum based fluids floating about espeicaly if it rains too soon as mentioned above.
regards tm

I've got more chance of getting a litre of kero than a valuable gem or bit of gold!

Thanks everyone it proved to be a great topic and some very interesting albeit over my head answers from the pros.
I have just bought my first mini high banker and about to start collecting my own dirt to try. :)

Eski said:
Hey goldtruck, how did you go with the Diggin?

thinking it might be a good idea...
I often wonder about digging between the moon craters in shallow workings in Vic GT, would be interesting to see what the pay would be for the effort.

I can answer part of that question for you. Many, many years ago at the "PotatoPatch"
, a mate I went down 10 feet between the digs and nothin.
Not to say that that applies to every hole.
Still had a great time and fantastic food and wine. Who cares about the Gold when you have the memories!
Just sayin.
Mackka

I've recently tried a few buckets of fine tailings from an old river bed diggings up a hill that hasnt been flogged for some now. I was surprised at the amount they missed. And strangely it was a bit rougher than the gold in the creek below. I will be going back for a better go at it with a camp and some recon digs.

Eski said:
Hey goldtruck, how did you go with the Diggin?

thinking it might be a good idea...

I can tell you eski that I scrapped out more gold looking cracks and crevices than I should of and got a little fitter but no richer he he
Biggest trouble I had was taking buckets of dirt back home and the recycling of the water was messy at best and the pump choked a bit.
I need to work on that a bit more. The cooler weather is coming. I might head out on the weekend for a few bucket fulls. Trouble is the height of my back yard is getting higher !!!!!

GT :)

Latest posts