Diesel Chip Modification

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there are plenty of examples of I engine and it has many hp uses Suzuki outboards are one buy the 9hp is the same motor to the 15 hp just a restricter in the exhaust same as ford same block and head for standard car buy a tickford just a few add ons more hp and a higher price tag multi function engines

Ridge Runner said:
Digginholes said:
Take for example the ford falcon 5.oL has two variants one producing 315kw the other 335 the differences are very minor things like air intake and tune the

Yep but you can bet they could get it to put out way more than that, but in terms of reliability I'd say that the 335 could be stretched a little higher but they want to maintain a safety margin.

They can both be stretched to around 500kw , its been done and the engine itself is identical, I have the old 5.4 l boss falcon and was similar with them, 260-290 same engine, 302-315 same again but higher Compression and bigger cams and air plenim better flowing extractors and heads my 302 is tuned to 340 kw sam tune as they push a 315 to any higher and she needs a lot of work done, the 5.0 was a different beast all together built to suit the supercharger for higher output because the 5.4 had reached its limit as a normally aspirated engine

kemjak57 said:
I have a 2016 Mazda BT50 and have been thinking of putting an after market chip in it to reduce lag when accelerating. It is also a bit thirsty so I'm trying to get the best out of the car that I can. Is anyone familiar with any plug and play Chips that are any good? Any help appreciated. Thank you
at the end of the day a chip wont hurt you engine but find somewhere that does a dyno test before and after and see what hp you have gained get onto a mazda fourm and see the pros and cons of different brands of mod kits out there some are quite cheap and some are very expensive a lot of plug and play ones work very well

savage bitter said:
most diesels can have up to 15-25% more power and that is still in the allowable power range of the engine dealers down the power a bit due to some engineer will start with a engine of a set hp and build the vehicle around it extra hp is only really used when say overtaking up a hill and take off cruising you wouldn't know the difference so chipping your engine is fine but a better exhaust system as well as a chip is a good option fyi I am a diesel mechanic for 28 plus years

No they don't they are tuned at the factory, all the dealer does is the pre-delivery checks, You might be a diesel mechanic, I was a Mechanic by trade before I gave it away, but you don't make the Laws as to how vehicles have to be set up and you won't pay for the repairs when it goes wrong but you will Quote the customer the cost of fixing it, fact is the cost should fall back on who ever it was who had the bright idea of messing with it in the first place or who ever chipped it. It's very easy to give ill advice even more so when there is money involved.

People just need to know that if you mess with the chips you are on your own and the dealers won't even look at it.

My brother has just had a similar issue, He took his VW Touran for a wheel alignment, they said it needed new lower rear arms/joints, the idiots replaced the wrong bits and they still can't wheel align it, It's been to 2 different places with a total of 4 wheel alignments and it's still not right now it has got to go to VW to get it set up right, So far it's cost him about $2500 bucks, It would of been cheaper if I had bought the Gauges and done it my self, Then It was leaking oil from the rocker cover 2 companies fixed it and it went back to VW for it's 3rd gasket and a new rocker cover, All these issues are because of people working on it who don't know what they are doing,

Same thing with Code readers, they should not be sold to the public because it is too easy to stuff up, these so called modern mechanics haven't got a clue when it comes to diagnostics, they are nothing more than assemblers, The code reader tells them what's wrong and they fit the part, There again back in the 50's they trained monkeys to go in to space so nothing surprizes me any more.

Digginholes said:
Ridge Runner said:
Digginholes said:
Take for example the ford falcon 5.oL has two variants one producing 315kw the other 335 the differences are very minor things like air intake and tune the

Yep but you can bet they could get it to put out way more than that, but in terms of reliability I'd say that the 335 could be stretched a little higher but they want to maintain a safety margin.

They can both be stretched to around 500kw , its been done and the engine itself is identical, I have the old 5.4 l boss falcon and was similar with them, 260-290 same engine, 302-315 same again but higher Compression and bigger cams and air plenim better flowing extractors and heads my 302 is tuned to 340 kw sam tune as they push a 315 to any higher and she needs a lot of work done, the 5.0 was a different beast all together built to suit the supercharger for higher output because the 5.4 had reached its limit as a normally aspirated engine
I love working on the Ford and Holden V8's, the 253/308 has one of the best oiling systems ever put in an engine, and the windsor is a great V8 even better with the Boss heads/Cleveland heads. and the FE big blocks were great as well.

I'll clarify a few things with my car. When I bought it I had Mazda do an upgrade of the suspension through Ironman. I then had an alloy canopy fitted which once it was kitted out the way I wanted, added a bit of weight. Guessing 450 kg's. The car has plenty of power as is and mostly I'm happy with it. The problem I have with it is when you are taking off from a standing start there is quite a bit of lag between when you put your foot down to when something actually happens. If you try to stick it into it from a standing start nothing happens for a couple of seconds then it will throw everything off the dash onto your lap :D . I had a 3inch exhaust fitted which I was assured would make a difference but there is nothing noticeable. I had a look at a device from "chipmydiesel.com.au" last night, it's a plug and play, which had a lot of good reviews for power increase and fuel economy which is what I would like, but I will keep researching as well. I'm not a rev head but I do like my vehicles to perform properly. I have spoken to a number of BT50 owners as well as a mechanic or two and most say that the lag is the biggest drawback of the car. I am a fan of Mazda, I've had 5 including my wife's car. Overall I am pleased with the car, I just want to sort out a few niggles I have with it. I hope this is a bit clearer on what I want to achieve. I don't want to start any bickering over " mines bigger than yours" . Thanks again Rick

sorry I didn't mean the dealer were you buy the car from but the engine maker but anyhow you seem a bit high strung and I will leave it at that don't forget to take your pills :p

Rockhunter62 said:
Hi Rick,

Was looking at one of those things that you put into your accelerator harness to adjust the response. One of the mechanics that I was using said that with any of the chips or accelerator thingies you would have to upgrade your clutch (not sure if yours is manual or auto) as you would most likely burn out your standard clutch.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Doug
Mine is auto Doug. I want to use something that is hopefully going to last the car out so if I cant find anything that I'm happy with, I'll just leave it as is. Cheers Rick

savage bitter said:
kemjak57 said:
I have a 2016 Mazda BT50 and have been thinking of putting an after market chip in it to reduce lag when accelerating. It is also a bit thirsty so I'm trying to get the best out of the car that I can. Is anyone familiar with any plug and play Chips that are any good? Any help appreciated. Thank you
at the end of the day a chip wont hurt you engine but find somewhere that does a dyno test before and after and see what hp you have gained get onto a mazda fourm and see the pros and cons of different brands of mod kits out there some are quite cheap and some are very expensive a lot of plug and play ones work very well
Good advise with the Mazda forum. I will check that out today. :Y:

Maybe egr block of will help, technically illegal but the turbo will spool up earlier thanks to the extra exhaust gases flowing through it

kemjak57 said:
savage bitter said:
kemjak57 said:
Good advise with the Mazda forum. I will check that out today. :Y:

If it is still under factory warranty just be careful if not then do what ever you need to do until you are happy with it, hope it all works out for you.

I am a qualified (retired) mechanic and have a 2005 Prado with the 1KZ non common rail diesel engine, which came from the factory in a very tame state of tune and is well known for being underpowered for towing. This engine now has LPG fumigation, Tunit chip, 2.5 exhaust, snorkel and catch can. The power increase and better fuel economy is awesome and has not been detrimental in any way to the engine after many years towing my 16 van all over Aus.
I have fitted one of these to a neighbors 2011 Colorado and the increase in performance is as stated.
http://www.chipmydiesel.com.au/?gcl...ru_RNQaNtzPraHkFHqxm2-0gKzUjM8LBoC0ogQAvD_BwE
There is a lot of apprehension about chipping a diesel, just make sure you get some qualified advise and get the best you can afford. :power:

savage bitter said:
to many people here over thinking things and some are always turning into a pissing comp good luck

That's not the case, I have seen so many people get screwed because of these remapping clowns and there are thousands more that have had the same troubles.

It's all very well egging people on to do this stuff but who is going to pay for the repairs when it all goes wrong ?

Ridgey Didge Runner said:
I was a Mechanic by trade before I gave it away

Now I know why you making sense.

Totally agree, these remaps can be a mine field. Always love the Commodore tunes that get done by a well known tune company.
"I've now got heaps more more and my fuel economy is 25% better". Followed up by
"Why's my piston melted?"

You can be sued for engine damage even if it a known design flaw in the engine design but you were the last one to tamper with it. Bloke I know was sued for $22k for engine damage but reduced to $8 or 9k I think once he proved to the court the manufacturers engine design was flawed. A Nissan.

no one is egging anyone on he ask for advise and people have gave it to him you if you have a opinion say it and move on don't be a dick about it no one is here for a fight we are all friends lets just play nicely :Y:

My advice would be first understand what it is your doing to your engine and how it works then make an informed decision on your calculated risk.
It also helps to know a little about your engine if your out away from town and some thing does go wrong because lets face it you never break down in the drive way right?

OzzieAu said:
I am a qualified (retired) mechanic and have a 2005 Prado with the 1KZ non common rail diesel engine, which came from the factory in a very tame state of tune and is well known for being underpowered for towing. This engine now has LPG fumigation, Tunit chip, 2.5 exhaust, snorkel and catch can. The power increase and better fuel economy is awesome and has not been detrimental in any way to the engine after many years towing my 16 van all over Aus.
I have fitted one of these to a neighbors 2011 Colorado and the increase in performance is as stated.
http://www.chipmydiesel.com.au/?gcl...ru_RNQaNtzPraHkFHqxm2-0gKzUjM8LBoC0ogQAvD_BwE
There is a lot of apprehension about chipping a diesel, just make sure you get some qualified advise and get the best you can afford. :power:
Thanks OzzieAu, That's the one I was looking at. It seems to have had a myriad of reviews which makes me want to check it out further. Thanks

Mr Magoo said:
Ridgey Didge Runner said:
I was a Mechanic by trade before I gave it away

Now I know why you making sense.

Totally agree, these remaps can be a mine field. Always love the Commodore tunes that get done by a well known tune company.
"I've now got heaps more more and my fuel economy is 25% better". Followed up by
"Why's my piston melted?"

You can be sued for engine damage even if it a known design flaw in the engine design but you were the last one to tamper with it. Bloke I know was sued for $22k for engine damage but reduced to $8 or 9k I think once he proved to the court the manufacturers engine design was flawed. A Nissan.

Ouch 22k, even 8k is a hard nut to swallow,

In theory it should be ok to do this stuff like we did with the older cars in the 60's 70's and 80's but these newer models have such fine tolerance's the slightest thing and the warning lights on the dash come on, And DPF's are the curse of the modern motorist with a price tag to match, I am seriously thinking of buying an older car just to get away from all the issues of modern cars. Since last Christmas you would not believe the problems my brother has had, I wouldn't mind but his car is immaculate and only a few years old, and now not only has he still got to get the Wheel alignment issue to be sorted, it has a twin plate clutch setup that is messing around but you can't replace the clutch without replacing the flywheel and that's about 3K, So far he has spent every spare penny he has earned this year on it and he still has these 2 things to do. ]:D

kemjak57 said:
I'll clarify a few things with my car. When I bought it I had Mazda do an upgrade of the suspension through Ironman. I then had an alloy canopy fitted which once it was kitted out the way I wanted, added a bit of weight. Guessing 450 kg's. The car has plenty of power as is and mostly I'm happy with it. The problem I have with it is when you are taking off from a standing start there is quite a bit of lag between when you put your foot down to when something actually happens. If you try to stick it into it from a standing start nothing happens for a couple of seconds then it will throw everything off the dash onto your lap :D . I had a 3inch exhaust fitted which I was assured would make a difference but there is nothing noticeable. I had a look at a device from "chipmydiesel.com.au" last night, it's a plug and play, which had a lot of good reviews for power increase and fuel economy which is what I would like, but I will keep researching as well. I'm not a rev head but I do like my vehicles to perform properly. I have spoken to a number of BT50 owners as well as a mechanic or two and most say that the lag is the biggest drawback of the car. I am a fan of Mazda, I've had 5 including my wife's car. Overall I am pleased with the car, I just want to sort out a few niggles I have with it. I hope this is a bit clearer on what I want to achieve. I don't want to start any bickering over " mines bigger than yours" . Thanks again Rick

Clearly, your issue (and that of the other BT50 owners mentioned), is turbo lag rather than a lack of power. I'm not a mechanic, but I don't see how any after-market chip is going to make your turbo spool up faster - that's an engine/turbo design issue. Volkswagen's solution to turbo lag, is to fit their small petrol engines with both a supercharger AND a turbo, with the supercharger giving an immediate boost until the turbo gets up to speed. I have no idea whether that is a practical aftermarket solution for a Mazda diesel though.

Latest posts