Detector for Junior

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Ill try this again in the right topic.

My young bloke has asked me to sell his motorbike and buy him a metal detector. Im just wondering if im better off going all out or start him off on something simple. Im assuming i will be doing the swinging and he will be doing the digging as he's only 9. He is also keen to use it on the beach to find "treasure". I was looking at the Minelab 705 but interested for any input.

Thanks
Ryan

Ryjan said:
My young bloke has asked me to sell his motorbike and buy him a metal detector.

That's awesome for many reasons ;)
Reckon you get him a machine that he can use, might get boring digging all the time.
If he can physically swing the 705 (its not heavy), he could certainly get to know the numbers, and in time understand all the features. The gofind will be easy for him to understand, and so much lighter. The 705 will last him a long time, but at 9 I think he is a bit young. Depends on the kid though!

Hi mate..The 705 is a pretty advanced machine for a 9yr old beginner....if your just after coins ect...You would be much better off getting him one from jcar for $50..they work very well....and that way he could keep his moterbike.......as kids change their hobbys frequently....but always seem to come back to bikes..lol...and if hes still keen after a while....then maybe up grade to a 305 or a 505 or top of the line 705.. :D

Thanks guys, he is lucky he has two bikes so he is only getting rid of one. I was thinking more the 705 as i have used a 305 and didn't mind it. The young bloke is keen to learn and it beats shoveling dirt all day through a sluice. I think he is more interested in finding something, i think he would be happy digging up nails all day.

He will love the 705 . Even at his age he should be able to learn to use it .I have one and find it great iin some soil . No better detector to learn on

IT really doesn't make that much difference how complex it is. With any machine you can just turn on and go without having to play with the settings. Then as he gains experience he ca grow with it.

Picked the young bloke up a Minelab GoFind 40 during the week for $100. Very impressive so far. I have had him down the local park digging his fair share of ring pulls, bottle caps etc. Im glad i went for the lighter gofind as he says his arm gets tired pretty quick. Ive started adding a little concrete pwder to his cereal in the morning to fix the issue though.