Detecting vs alluvial

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it just me or has this forum been smashed with detecting topics?? Every man and their dogs dog has one now. Maybe me and pooch should invest. The hype is crazy! I'm gonna get one.

Guess it's a case of what you enjoy most ..... I detect (2x detectors), use sluices, and am trying to learn the finer art of drywashing/blowing.
Do I enjoy 1 form more than the others, no not really just depend on the mood and location/weather conditions.
Enjoy what you like most, don't worry about others.
Cheers T.

I enjoy most forms of gold fossicking but mainly detect as I find a lot more gold with a detector than I can pan or sluice :)

each to their own I guess....never really been interested in detecting as I could afford one but now that I have been given an XT17000 I will have to give it a go I guess. Panning is pretty relaxing though and is good for the family too.

I thought about it all day. Do I spend 5 k and wonder off into the bush or!!!!! Stay at at a creek , work hard, work up an almighty thirst and have a week panning concentrates. I think I will stick to what I know. For those detecting your nuggets are safe. For now!

Highbanking has started my interested in Detecting. I was always interested in detecting but would always seem to forget to use them on trips. But after i found some pieces that would have been easily detected with their size and how shallow they were im giving Detecting a fair go now.

I think it's just the flow of things. A little while ago when Wal put up his excellent videos and info on high bankers they were all the rage. Another thing is we can all grab a detector and go to the local park or beach. Not all of us live close to the gold fields. My 2 cents ;)
My initial interest was alluvial gold prospecting. But I can get a fix of treasure hunting with my detector.

When out detecting for gold and the weekend slips away and no gold has shown its head. I have a spot that the pan comes out on the way home, always have gold then.....when the weather is stinking hot it is always a pleasure to sit by water and wash ya dirt ;-)

Latest posts